Shot Gun Rifle rack?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shot Gun Rifle rack??

Black92LX

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Anyone know of a roof mounted shotgun/rifle rack for our model explorer???

I would like something that extends all the way across so I don't have to drill into the headliner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have found one yet I would be interested what you have. I was also wanting one for my 03.

I am very familiar with both of those sites. The one I looked at in store at Cabela's was pretty cheap, at least in quality.

I was just searching for the same thing. Found the Big Sky Rack but you have to drill into the headliner. I don't mind that, just want to find the location of the double wall if it has one in the roof. A customer who bought the rack cautioned people to first find the double wall in the ceiling so you don't drill all the way through the roof to the outside. Anyone know where this is or if the '96 Explorer Sport has one before I buy the rack?

The ones we use are by ProGuard. Nothing flimsy about them. Bolts up to the B posts...

Shawn

I have the canvas ones that tie behind the seat... Don't use much, and act like kick plates for the kids... Do work well though, and only like 20 from amazon.

well... If you want to buy it new, you can go through a Pro-Gard distributor. Your local police supply store should be one.

Cheapest way is eBay. They've been flooded with PG and Santa Cruz products lately. Be certain that the one you look at is for your weapon. The big ones are for AR pattern rifles. The smaller ones are for pump shotguns.

Locks are plentiful on eBay, the actual rack that bolts in with everything is a little more uncommon. Big Sky Racks make one also.

Shawn

Well it's been a year and a half since I posted about installing the Big Sky gun rack in my '96 Ford Explorer Sport. They built a Cabellas down the street and just opened. Guess I'll put my $25 gift card my brother gave me two years ago and get it. It should just mount the same place where my coat hooks are on both sides on the interior. I'll buy it today and let you know how the install goes.

Well it's been a year and a half since I posted about installing the Big Sky gun rack in my '96 Ford Explorer Sport. They built a Cabellas down the street and just opened. Guess I'll put my $25 gift card my brother gave me two years ago and get it. It should just mount the same place where my coat hooks are on both sides on the interior. I'll buy it today and let you know how the install goes.

I used to use a side window mount back in the day. They are available on ebay and are easy to mount. I think you have enough rear side window length to use one unless your long guns are really, really long. :D Mine fit in an International Scout II. (Don't forget to lock 'em up, lots of creeps out there these days.) :salute:

Well, my transmission went out in my truck and had to get another and got a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer off Craigslist. It doesn't have the same place for grab handles so I took the rack back to Cabell's and got my money back. I'm not going to install it in the new truck.

Back