SCT Tuner good for multiple vehicles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SCT Tuner good for multiple vehicles?

synyster

Reaction score
City, State
Hammond IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited V8
Is it possible to use the same tuner on a 3.8 v6 Mustang and a 4.6 v8 Explorer? or would that be impossible?

multiple monitoring but limited tunes

I believe that you can use your tuner to monitor and data log any Ford OBD-II system as many times as you want. However, in order to install a custom tune you must first read and store the vehicle's stock tune and identifier. You can sequentially program as many custom tunes as you want in that vehicle. If you want to program another vehicle you must restore the first vehicle to the original tune to unlock the tuner. The tuner allows you to custom tune five vehicles. It locks after that and must be cleared by an SCT dealer/tuner for a fee. Since the tuner doesn't remember the identifier of a previously tuned vehicle after restoring the stock tune, even if you own two vehicles and try to switch back and forth the vehicle tune counter increments. In other words, if you want to leave a custom tune in two vehicles and periodically change them you'll need two tuners.

Before you complain about the restriction, remember that the tuners are technically for off road use only since a custom tune has not been tested for compliance with government emissions restrictions or fuel economy.

Yup. Unless you buy the pro kit, 1 tuner = 1 VIN. I'm sure there's some way to hack it, but I don't know what it is. Figure it out and report back! ;)

Back