Ford starts Beta Testing MFT Upgrade | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford starts Beta Testing MFT Upgrade

That's the problem, though. Everyone has a smartphone, and we are used to the simplicity of using Google maps for getting a location, so anything that requires 75 clicks to type in an address is incredibly frustrating when Google can do it in 1 line in multiple formats.

I almost never use the touch screen to enter an address, it's just too difficult, and too unresponsive, and that's totally not acceptable in the age of android and ios.

+1

I Agree 100%

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's the problem, though. Everyone has a smartphone, and we are used to the simplicity of using Google maps for getting a location, so anything that requires 75 clicks to type in an address is incredibly frustrating when Google can do it in 1 line in multiple formats.

I almost never use the touch screen to enter an address, it's just too difficult, and too unresponsive, and that's totally not acceptable in the age of android and ios.
What's a smartphone? :D I, like a few people I know, do NOT have one, nor do I intend to get one, at least not in the near future. Don't have a need for it. Just a regular cell @ $10/month.:)

What's a smartphone? :D I, like a few people I know, do NOT have one, nor do I intend to get one, at least not in the near future. Don't have a need for it. Just a regular cell @ $10/month.:)

Well, you are in the minority.

Well, you are in the minority.
:bsnicker: I also have an 8 track quad system and 8 track tapes but can't get them to play in the Explorer.:D

Peter you need to upgrade to cassettes now.......they are easier to carry.....and you can listen in Dolby Prologic ....LOL

I've never tried, but can you enter an address by voice command into the Nav system?

I've never tried, but can you enter an address by voice command into the Nav system?

Yes, and I have found it much easier to use Voice Commands then typing them in.

:bsnicker: I also have an 8 track quad system and 8 track tapes but can't get them to play in the Explorer.:D

I've been trying to figure out how to install my turntable into the dash...still a few design bugs to work out.

I don't have one either and have no intent on getting one soon. I don't need to pay all that extra $$ out to be in constant electronic contact with the world.

2011 X Limited FWD 11,000 miles V2.11

I hope that during beta testing that Sirius Travel Link, traffic and Nav data evaluation is a high priority since that is the main reason I went with the MFT option. This will require joint testing being done between Sirius and the Ford beta testers. If this is not done, there is going to be a lot of finger pointing on who is the cause of any hardware/software issues and we the users are once again a Beta tester for Ford and Sirius.

I may be wrong, but I believe a lot of the lock ups and problems requiring a reboot or power reset are caused by the data packets that is being transmitted to our vehicle VIA the Sirius transmission link. I also believe that we have become beta tester for Sirius radio. If you follow the treads most of the (example Travel Link updates) problems occurred to us at about the same time. That implies to me that all our issues is more a software/data problems and not a hardware issue. The only hardware problem that may be causing some of the issue is not enough RAM memory, which would slow down the processing of large amounts of data I.E. when receiving large amounts of information from Sirius.

Most of my problems with the system has been Sirius link related. When I let my free Sirius subscription expire I have seen no lock ups and problems. I do want to note that I do not have a smart phone and have seen no problems with my phones. Want to note that Cell phone technology is advancing so quickly that I would advise using a conventional cell on your MFT and keep the smartphone in your pocket.

I have been having problems with the Nav SD card re-install under V2.11 which I did not see in V2.8 or V2.4. Appears to be another software issue since it did not occur under the two older versions. Normally if and when the system reboots itself I do not have to re-install SD card. Sure would be nice to have a function that would do a reboot (not reset) of the system without having to pull a fuse or reload an update to force a reboot.

I have found the Nav data to be inaccurate and depend on my Garmin to get me to my requested location. Not sure who Garmin and Delorme is using for their map data, but find it much more accurate and they provide updates in most cases for FREE.

Bottom line is what is it costing Ford and the end user in $$$$$$$$ to chase rabbits when it comes to trouble shooting the issues. Granted software is not perfect (I.e. Look at the number of software update you get from Microsoft) and hardware most of the time will be dead. Granted you will see some intermittent hardware problem but those are probably related to the connectivity of the components. It all has to do with the knowledge of the system and I found that some of the technician cannot trouble shoot themselves out of a paper bag. Knowledge is power, get it or stop wasting Ford and our money and move on to something else.

Love my X and can live with the MFT issue until Ford gets it right. Sirius I am not to happy with. I can see a lot of future finger pointing going on between the two vendors.

Last time I checked, Garmin uses Navteq map data. The 'miracle' update for MFT will, according to data released by Ford, have Navteq maps for the new NAV card.

The wildcard will be the front-end that we use to input our destinations. It looks like the current company, Telenav, will continue to provide that aspect, which could be a disappointment.

JDraper. I wish I had good news for you, but if you check with you current phone carrier, you will be surprised to see they are only caring a few flip phones now. most of them are used. I'm sure in the near future you will have no choose.

I guarantee that post new release, there will continue to be threads that start with "...I can't believe they didn't fix THAT <insert nitpick>".

Like when I press the "quick dial" button and I have to wait for the message that tells me that I can add contacts from my address book to go way every time?

Not such a "quick dial" anymore... How could that even get put into production? It has not even been addressed in all the MFT updates that have been released.

JDraper. I wish I had good news for you, but if you check with you current phone carrier, you will be surprised to see they are only caring a few flip phones now. most of them are used. I'm sure in the near future you will have no choose.
It looks like my carrier, Rogers Communications, currently carries 7 Pay As You Go non smart phones. A couple of them are new. Like I said before, I don't need a smart phone. The only time my cell is turned on is when I leave the house. I then forward my home phone to my cell. It has a QWERTY keyboard, text messaging, bluetooth and Wi-Fi plus a camera. What more do I need? It costs me $10/month and I have over $350 built up in my account. It's a Nokia C3.

hope the new upgrade includes outside air temp on the display just like all other manufactures!
(I know it is also on the drivers side, passenger can't see it)

I found this video of the 2013 Taurus that clearly shows both time and temp at the top of the MFT screen. Lets hope this is part of the explorer package as well and not just a pre-production version. The interior description is toward the end of the video and is just a brief shot.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/taur...hts-fuel-economy-2011-new-york-auto-show.html

That Taurus is running the current version, the button graphics are what version 2.11 has.

It's not 2. Anything it's the all new mft, all new 2011 ford mft was the beta they listen to our complaint's and redisigned the whole thing from scratch. That's the way they knew what we wanted even then people are still going to complain that they should have done this or that, it will be awesome you will like it !!! I don't work for ford i'm just a ford consumer who likes ford's product and most of all no bail out money they gambled and did not crap out !!! they did it right with there own money by selling landrover,volvo,astin martin, and land etc.... FORD YOU ARE THE BEST !!!

Peterk9- here is dating yourself, how many remember "marantz" 4 track tape decks, I still have mine from my first car, 1959 vw beetle, it still works! Have on the work bench, with power invertor. Glad the ex has a split glove box, ideas?.....

It looks like my carrier, Rogers Communications, currently carries 7 Pay As You Go non smart phones. A couple of them are new. Like I said before, I don't need a smart phone. The only time my cell is turned on is when I leave the house. I then forward my home phone to my cell. It has a QWERTY keyboard, text messaging, bluetooth and Wi-Fi plus a camera. What more do I need? It costs me $10/month and I have over $350 built up in my account. It's a Nokia C3.

Hey guess what? Based on the feature set you described........are you ready for this? you own a smart phone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back