• Register Today It's free!

Lumbar support has a leak

Jeff00000168

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 4.0 SOHC XLT 4X4
Is there a way to fix my lumbar support on the driver's side? Passenger's side lumbar support works fine. I have leather seats on my 98 4 door XLT. Is there a way to fix this? I don't even know what's inside the seat. I'm thinking that there's some kind of rubber bag that inflates when pressing the button and deflates when pressing the other button ??? :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody got a fix for this? I have the same problem on my 98 Ltd.
Thanks.

My 97 did the same thing, the bag would inflate then immediately deflate. I removed the side plastic panel that encloses the switch and found that the 1/4" supply tube was partially connected. I reconnected the tube by simply pushing it back on the fitting and 2 years later have had no other problems. Take a look at the fitting and tubing, it could be the problem for both of you.

Pssssssss

I will check this when I get home tonight. Thank you.

Does it inflate and then bleed off or does it not inflate at all?

One button turns on a small air pump that inflates the bladder in the seat. Other button is a pressure relief that lets air out.

Push one button and then other button (not both at same time) and listen for air pump. If pump not running, check electrical connection on button switch. Make sure switch is working by testing with ohm meter. If switch not working, you may be able to take it apart and repair. Could be a little gummed up. If switch works, could be problem with little air pump.

If it inflates and then bleeds off, pressure relief button may be sticking or hose could be off as described above. Hose could also have a crack/cut in it somewhere. The button on mine was sticking enough to let air slowly bleed off so took it apart and cleaned it. Worked fine afterwards.

My 97 did the same thing, the bag would inflate then immediately deflate. I removed the side plastic panel that encloses the switch and found that the 1/4" supply tube was partially connected. I reconnected the tube by simply pushing it back on the fitting and 2 years later have had no other problems. Take a look at the fitting and tubing, it could be the problem for both of you.

I know it is a zombie thread, but...

My lumbar support does EXACTLY what you described here.
I would like it to work but it was low on the list of items to fix.
Well I fixed all the other items, so I guess I will try this now. LOL

Also check the plastic hoses- they like to rub on the seat frame and wear holes through them.

Back