• Register Today It's free!

Hello explorer owners i need help

cbool520

Reaction score
City, State
Freeport , IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 eddie bouer
OK I'm having a gas mileage issue i have a 1996 eb with 150000 miles 4.0 i get on average 10.5 miles to the gallon now i have replaced an o2 sensor, plugs, wires,and gave it a fuel system cleaning still no change. This is all in the last year so now that I'm stumped i need to know where some of you would start.I have had the codes read i get a p0136 and a p0141 i know thay are the o2 on the down stream. So i need to address that but before it started throwing codes i still got the same mileage. Now I'm thinking vac leak but have know idea where to start looking i dont do shops if i can help it so your ideas would help thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK I'm having a gas mileage issue i have a 1996 eb with 150000 miles 4.0 i get on average 10.5 miles to the gallon now i have replaced an o2 sensor, plugs, wires,and gave it a fuel system cleaning still no change. This is all in the last year so now that I'm stumped i need to know where some of you would start.I have had the codes read i get a p0136 and a p0141 i know thay are the o2 on the down stream. So i need to address that but before it started throwing codes i still got the same mileage. Now I'm thinking vac leak but have know idea where to start looking i dont do shops if i can help it so your ideas would help thanks
This may sound dumb, but, when was the last time you serviced the air filter?

Fuel economy

My 99 5.0 gets about 14.5 average without much highway driving. If I air the tires to 40psi it will jump to about 16.5mpg. I know that you may have already checked your tires and this may be redundant but you did not say if you had checked.

To check for vacuum leaks, just get a can of brake or carb cleaner and spray it over all your vacuum lines, section by section while the engine is running. What you are listening for is a jump in idle RPM. If you do get an increase in idle after spraying a section, then you know that line needs to be replaced.

Leaking fuel injectors can also cause horrible fuel milleage. I would inspect your injectors and verify they are not leaking out the pintle cap. There's many sensors that go into figuring how much fuel the engine needs, the primary ones being: primary o2 sensors, ECT sensor and MAF sensor.

Any of those could be a culprit for poor fuel economy, but they should be easy to test with a simple voltmeter and a reference chart for sensor voltage on your particular engine.

thanks for the add i am waiting for it to warm up a bit and im going to go threw the vac system ill keep you updated to what i find

fuel filter?

Ok well went throw the hole vac system today and nothing sprayed the intake and no jump in rpms but its a pain to get to the driver side so i will have to check in to that. I would like a to talk too some one local from this site but don't see many from northern il so if you are in the freeport area let me know i would like to pick you brain thanks trying to find the next step

Back