Grinding noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding noise

SLOW RIDER

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 FORD EXPLORER XLT
When i go over 25 mph i hear grinding coming from the front passenger side. It mosty happen on bad roads dips and coming down hill when ever it bounce . I tested the wheels for play to check bearings the driver side had play so i replaced bearings.
Its still making noise. What should i check next ? I did a little test while i was driving i held the brakes and drove up a street with dips and it didn't grind ,could it be my brakes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you have this in the wrong section. I would try posting in the correct section or having one of the moderators move this post to the correct section.

where should i post my questions? or can a monitor move this for me please i need some ideas really bad my wife pregnant and over due

I moved your thread to the stock 1991-1994 explorer sub forum for better responses.

Here is the forum main index page. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the contents and sub forums.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations for becoming a daddy.

You might want to check the brakes and wheel bearings. If you remove the weight from each front wheel, you can grab the top and bottom of that tire, and try to wiggle it. If you get any type of movement other then the rotation of the tire, the bearing is shot.

thanks , i think it could be bearings and brakes when i jacked it up the wheels was wobby very little and my brake light been on. i have to wait to payday to get the parts. how long can i drive like this?

I would not, unless it is an emergency. If you have a worn loose wheel bearing, it is a matter of time before it seizes and rips the wheel off the spindle.

It will also cause further, and, very expensive damage. You might already have a spindle which is grooved from a bad bearing.

Or, it may go miles and miles. Be careful with this.

I knew my left front bearing was failing and I drove it for 6 weeks like that after I found out. It failed dramtically, and I was still able to get 3 weeks out of it after that.
YMMV.
Either way, just be very aware of the the behavior of the truck if you must drive it like this.
FWIW, you are descibing a very similar symptom to the ones I noted with a failing wheel bearing.
Has the truck started to float into and out of corners yet?

it only grind when its a bad road or turning it don't grind for long. thanks for the info i will be very careful into i get this problem fix

thanks turdle you was really helpful now i know how to use the site

Grinding noise is nothing to play around with. When I got my explorer there was grinding coming from the passenger side front end and it turned out that before I got it someone had worked on the front end and didn't get that side back together right and the nuts had loosened. They must have drove it like that for awhile because I had to replace the bearings on that side and the grinding noise was from the speed ring grinding the speed sensor so now my brake light is on because it doesn't read right. I plan on replacing the sensor and rotor on that side after I get my explorer running again.

In my case it was simply a failing bearing, not an assembly (or misassembly) issue.
Like I said though, YMMV.

Back