Rear.. tie rod end? alignment rod? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear.. tie rod end? alignment rod?

ctrucke

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT 4.6L V8
Hey, I need to know what the name of this part is.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer. This is on the rear end. It looks similar to a tie rod end, it goes from the middle of the truck out to the wheel area on the back side of everything. It almost resembles an alignment rod. The bushing on the end is out.

Any idea what the part is called? I can try to get pictures tomorrow if no one knos. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The part is called a "Toe Link" if I remember right. I had to replace the one on the pass. side @ rear. Depending on who you talk to they will tell you its called a tie rod, and it goes in the front, because it seems that nobody understands that this not a solid axle in the rear like the older ones. I got real frustrated looking for mine, until I finally got a hold of a friend that's the parts manager at a Ford dealer ( he was on vacation and I couldn't wait). It only cost me around $17 (wholesale maybe?) and took me about 1/2 hour to replace (very easy). Make sure you adjust the end about the same length as old so you can drive it to get it aligned. Good luck

Ok, so I called around. Apparently the part is on backorder nationwide for 2-3 months. The closest dealer that had one to me was in Wisconsin,(I'm in Northwest Iowa) and they had ONE.. which they refused to sell to me... so I called the local junkyard. $30, back in business.

Good luck with these if you need the part! Local junkyard is probably the only place you're gonna find this part!

The part is called a "Toe Link" if I remember right. I had to replace the one on the pass. side @ rear. Depending on who you talk to they will tell you its called a tie rod, and it goes in the front, because it seems that nobody understands that this not a solid axle in the rear like the older ones. I got real frustrated looking for mine, until I finally got a hold of a friend that's the parts manager at a Ford dealer ( he was on vacation and I couldn't wait). It only cost me around $17 (wholesale maybe?) and took me about 1/2 hour to replace (very easy). Make sure you adjust the end about the same length as old so you can drive it to get it aligned. Good luck
Hi I need a toe link for my 02 mounty, i went to ford dealer who told me they only come complete. my end looks like its crimped on as it dont have a lock nut either. cost of it all is $150 thats when they have them, last time they told me there was only 2 in the USA.

can this be done for cheaper?

thanks
lee

Cost around $100.00+ from Ford,sealed boot on tie rod end at knuckle seems to fail/tear.The best way to inspect is to remove rear tire(s).I have replaced many of these for customers complaning of rear tire wear and clunking noise.When inspecting also check the lower control arm to knuckle bushing/bearing,both parts can be replaced by any knowlegeable home mechanic.Toe Link is only available from Ford.

FYI, with the 02 X's (I don't know if Mounty's are the same) they made a mid year change with the toe link so there are two sizes floating around out there.

Ask me how I know... ;)

As for how to do it cheaper, wrecking yards are your friends.

Toe Links

Yeah I think there was a change in the knuckle because my parts guy asked if the '02 I was working on ever had bearings replaced.

My right rear toe link has gone bad too. Lots of play in the bellows joint that bolts on the chassis. Mine is the earlier version, vehicle built in 6/2001. I'd like to change it myself but don't want to be crawling under the vehicle with the RR wheel off.

If you don't want to do it yourself,order the parts from ford and have a good alinement shop install them.I highly recommend replacing both at the same time since the vehicle should be alined when installed,I also recommend checking the lower rear ball joint (cross axis joint) at this time since this is not just a bushing.I have checked all of my part sources and the Tie-Link still is not available aftermarket.Also 2006 and newer does not use these links.

For anyone who is interested I saw the toe links on rock auto under "trailing arms". $60 bucks apiece

Thanks for a great heads up! Don't think I'll be paying the $650 my Ford dealer wants for 'rear tie rods'

Moog makes an aftermarket Toe Compensator Link, it comes in two parts Rear Inner (Part # ES800560) and Rear Outer (Part # ES800562) or Rear Outer (Part # ES800561). Rear Outer (Part # ES800562) is a 17mm tie rod end and Rear Outer (Part # ES800561) is a 15mm tie rod end. You will have to figure out which size you have. They are available at Oreilly's Auto Parts, I had to give them the part number, if you have them look it up they will tell you it is a dealer only part. They cost $57 for Rear Outer and $40 for Rear Inner.

Yeah, I just had a state inspector try to tell me my rear "tie rod" was bent from someone jacking it up improperly on my 2003 Mount. I'm not a pro, but I'm pretty good when it comes to cars, and I knew that a tie rod is a steering component--not a rear end part. I called the mech on it, and realized he meant rear trailing arm (aka toe link), not tie rod, but he still wouldn't admit it.

Advance and Autozone have em for about $100, but Rock Auto does have them for $60--thanks for the tip!

Toe Link

Yes the link's are now available aftermarket in the last year and a half or so.

I called the mech on it, and realized he meant rear trailing arm (aka toe link), not tie rod, but he still wouldn't admit it.

Advance and Autozone have em for about $100, but Rock Auto does have them for $60--thanks for the tip!

If you buy the toe link from Advance Auto Parts, use the $40 off coupon from www.couponcabin.com and order it online at the Advance web site and select to pick it up at the nearest store to you. You'll save $40 off of the retail price and can have it that day(if in stock), rather than wait for the part to ship from Rock Auto.

Thanks for the advice J.D. HOGG. Just replaced mine and now need to adjust the alignment a bit, still alittle off.

I had an interesting problem, I had replaced my rear driver's side knuckle 3 years back with one from a junk yard that already had a good trailing arm... 3 years later I am replacing the arm and was surprised that the arm I had saved fromt he old knuckle did not fit, it was the 15 mm size while the knuckle must have been a different model from 2002 Explorer. Anyhow, I ordered a 17 mm arm from Amazon delivered for $35 and am now ready to align and drive. Thanks again JD Hogg, Roscoe P Coltrane logging off. :)

Just want to let you know, do not get the dorman toe link, come with a grease fitting and if you have 16" wheels will rub the wheels and break off. I learned the hard way.

Old thread but worth a shot. I have an 02 explorer that I need to replace the toe links while I have it apart from doing rear bearings. Manufactured 11/01 so I bought the smaller 15 mm toe links and they do not fit. Returned those and going to try the bigger ones. Worse comes worst is it a bad idea to just weld them in?

Old thread but worth a shot. I have an 02 explorer that I need to replace the toe links while I have it apart from doing rear bearings. Manufactured 11/01 so I bought the smaller 15 mm toe links and they do not fit. Returned those and going to try the bigger ones. Worse comes worst is it a bad idea to just weld them in?
You are lucky I have a 2004 explore with the 16 inch wheels and it only takes the 16mm tie rod ends for the compensator tie rod as ford calls them when I called the dealership up and ford discontinued the ones for my year and the after market only come for 15mm or 17mm . I tried the 17mm they hit the rim even with out the fitting and the 15mm is to small for the Mount hole .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are lucky I have a 2004 explore with the 16 inch wheels and it only takes the 16mm tie rod ends for the compensator tie rod as ford calls them when I called the dealership up and ford discontinued the ones for my year and the after market only come for 15mm or 17mm . I tried the 17mm they hit the rim even with out the fitting and the 15mm is to small for the Mount hole .
Leave it up to ford to put a steering knuckle in the rear and the front

Back