• Register Today It's free!

central locking - fuse 18 blowing

peddler

Reaction score
City, State
cromer sunny norfolk
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 north face
Hi Happy new year to everyone? this year I am determined to sort out my central locking. I have disconnected the drivers and passengers seats, and fuse still blowing, so tomorrow I will start stripping the doors, drivers 1st. As need to find this short. Before I start does any one know where the 4 relays are for the doors, and which rear wheel arch carry's the cables to central locking so I can strip it down, also does any one know if any of actuator sticks closed will this cause constant power and eventually trip the fuse? At present I lock all the doors manually with the key. Any other information would be gratefully received. Many thanks Gary

the door lock and unlock relays are located in the rear nearside cubby hole, in front of the rear washer bottle.

All the relays are the same so you can change them about and are standard types.

The lock and unlock switches operate by switching earth to the relays.

if both lock and unlock relays are activated at the same time then the + and - will short out causing the fuse to blow.

the first step is to see which circuit is activating at the wrong time, remove the relays and connect a bulb to each of the switch connections and the + supply.

without any switches being pressed there should be no lights on at all, test each of the switches in turn (including the key activations) there shuld not be two lights on at the same time

hope this helps in the initial diagnosis

Jim

Hi Jim - Many thanks, these seems a plan to start with? will let you know how I get on. Gary

Hey Gary
I remember reading a couple of threads relating to locking problems that were found to be chafed or bad connections somewhere around just in front of the rear wheel arch, in the cabin, under some trim. Don't know which side but assuming nearside as that would then run to the relays etc.

May be worth a look
HTH
Jan

Back