Herculining interior, have a prep question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculining interior, have a prep question

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Not actually using Herculiner, I went with Durabak instead. So far I have everything out of the Explorer, but was unsure what to do with the sound deadening material adhered to the floor. Those of you that bedlined your interior, did you scrape it off or just scuff it up?

I've searched and searched and it looks like everyone left it in its place, but it just seems to me I should go to bare metal. If I can save myself some work though, so be it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure to wear gloves and remove them before you handle your business:D

Those of you that bedlined your interior, did you scrape it off or just scuff it up?

I've searched and searched and it looks like everyone left it in its place, but it just seems to me I should go to bare metal. If I can save myself some work though, so be it!

I just left it, havn't had any problems so far but I did it only a couple months ago. Here's what mine looks like if your curious.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221838

I know you didn't ask but.... I did 2 coats everywhere and I did 3 in the trunk area and 3 where your feet will be. People I talked to (after I did it) said they wish they had done more coats. I think the main thing is to make sure that you sand it well (I used sand paper not what was provided) and make sure you clean it up real well. Herculiner sugjests using TSP a couple times then wiping the entire thing down with Xylene. So, thats what I did. Make sure you wear chemical resistant gloves when you use the Xylene and gloves when you apply your bedliner. Also, a good idea to wrap the bolts with masking tape so it doesn't get all over them as well as do it in a well ventilated area, stuff smells pretty bad. If you got any questions feel free to PM me about it. :) Good luck and post some pics when your done!

Make sure to wear gloves and remove them before you handle your business:D

Lol, I figured that would come up:p:

Marc, that looks good. I was unsure if it would be alright or not, glad to know that I will have less work than what I originally thought:thumbsup: Thanks for the tips too:D

I took a wire brush and scraped some of it and that was a mistake. When i get the chance to finish it im just putting the liner over that stuff.

Yeah no problem at all, it wasn't really that hard to do I think it was all about the prep work though. Oh and hang the wires up as high as they can get. That helped a lot so I can get under them and didn't have to hold em up or anything. Just a last thought, if possible get some more light in there, I missed a few spots and had to go back and fix it later because I didn't notice it while I was doing it.

I painted the exterior of my 89 Ranger with Durabak back in 2000. I found the best way to prep it is to wet sand the paint using xylene instead of water. According to Jake, (the entire sales and tech dept. at the time) you can paint over just about anything as long as it has a good bond to the surface.
My only complaint w/ it was that it had tiny pin holes in it, like it had air pockets trapped in it. He told me to turn down the air pressure when spraying it. I tried spraying and rolling it, the pinholes were there no matter what. I dont know if they ever fixed the problem, like I said that was 8 years ago.

I'm thinking of painting my entire explorer with Durabak. Can anyone let me know how it's holding up over time? Will it hold up to driving through some thick brush?

I cannot speak for Durabak, however, the hurculiner is just fine, no peeling flaking or anything to speak of. Just put a rototiller in it that has sharpish blades directly onto the herculiner and not even a scratch...

use a 3M scotch brite pad to scuff it up. Actually about 3 or 4 of them. Get your kids to help. cut each one in half (the pad, not the kids). You will get more use that way. Blow out every thing with compressed air. Then wipe it down with solvent. If you do all of that, you will not have adhesion issues.

Personally there is no way I would spray Durabak or any other bedliner over that factory crap. when it dries right out it can lose adhesion to the metal... Then you flex your truck a couple times and the stuff that bonded to the factory crap will crack out on you.

Take the time, scrape it off, do it right. Get a 1" wide scraper, a heat gun, and a case (or 2) of beer. Be patient. Half-assed jobs always bite back in the end.

I know this is an old post, but I'm thinking of doing this now that my carpet has been under water a few times and my explorer is starting to smell like a old casket. I'm curious of how much hotter inside the vehicle it has gotten. I know on my old Cherokee the heat off of the transmission was almost unbearable with the carpet out. Thanks

I know this is an old post, but I'm thinking of doing this now that my carpet has been under water a few times and my explorer is starting to smell like a old casket. I'm curious of how much hotter inside the vehicle it has gotten. I know on my old Cherokee the heat off of the transmission was almost unbearable with the carpet out. Thanks

You can feel the heat off the tranny by your feet, in the winter it is kind of nice actually. If you touch that area it is hot but not hot enough to burn you. If I had known this I would have put at least another coat on that area, although I do not know if it would have helped or not. I'm not sure how much hotter it gets in the back since I do not have any seats in the back anymore. Hope this helps.

yes it does help. In jersey and I'm sure in the midwest where youre from we'll get them few 100* + days in the summer, I just don't want to be sweating my balls off come them days.

Yeah, we get those days here too sometimes. I honestly don't drive it everyday, but have driven it in the summer, I just roll all the windows down and it is fine for me.

Back