Need help with 1997 5.0 explorer front driveshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 1997 5.0 explorer front driveshaft

85 GT Kid

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey guys been awhile since i've posted i've been super busy with my new job lol.
Its getting that time of year where we're gonna need AWD again and so that means the front driveshaft needs to go back in. It was making a really bad grinding noise so we just took it off with intentions of fixing it before winter.......that time is now lol. I was wondering what the best thing would be to do? Should I just buy a new shaft or rebuild mine (or have someone rebuild mine)?

Thanks guys!

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how concrete this is, but I've heard that once you remove the front driveshaft and drive for a while, the AWD won't work (permanently making it a 2WD). Something about the differential locking up. Just something to think about. Once again... Not sure exactly so you might want to research more on this.

As far as the AWD not working after driving for a while with the front shaft out, i can attest to that not being true. before i put the 4406 in mine i drove around for 6 months without the front shaft and everything worked fine.

now to the grinding noise. if your just looking for a quick fix to get you through the winter, you can inject a good high temp grease into the cv boot and it should last you. ( ive done it several times) if your really concerned with it, your best bet is to swap in a 4406 to get rid of the cv joint all together. thats gonna be the most bulletproof option for ya. and if your really set on rebiulding, you might as well just buy a new one or snag one from a junk yard. your gonna pay almost as much for a rebiuld as you will for a brand new shaft. check out www.drivetrain.com, they do complete rebiulds and have awesome customer service

Thanks for the help man. Yea I might just grab one from the junkyard and be done with it. Funny thing was I was at the junkyard yesterday and forgot to look for a DS (but I did find 3 sets of P heads :D).

those heads are awesome and hard to come by. and plus if your lookin to make a little more power without buyin a new set of aluminum heads, a valve job and port/polish will give you almost the same results as a set of TFS twisted wedge x heads (about $1100). then again, mustang guys are always lookin for p heads so you might be able to make a decent profit off of em:D

Back