• Register Today It's free!

worried and need help

4.6EXPLORERFAN

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So I've been smelling anti-freeze after driving home from work everynight and noticed about a month ago the expansion tank was about 2" low. I thought it was no big deal so I topped it off. Just changed the oil recently and all was good. No eveidence of anything going on internally, just dark oil as normal. This morning I went to back the ex out of the garage and there was a puddle of antifreeze by the tailpipe. I looked underneath and you could still see evidence of a drip! What's going on?! I only assume the worst since that's an odd path for antifreeze to go, but it's still bright green. Could it be as simple as a gasket or as bad as a cracked head? I'm really worried about this, can some one offer up some real world advice or similar experience? I appreciate the help!
ps.. seems to run fine except at idle after being warmed up, then it stumbles.

it could be either. the only way to know is to remove the heads and have them checked by a machine shop

I think I may have dodged a bullet here, fingers crossed. I was able to get underneath the rear and take a good look and it appears it's leaking from a hose which I assume is going to a rear heaterbox for the rear heat? I'm not sure exactly but it doesn't appear at this time that it's going through the exhaust, just dripping onto it. Phew.

If you saw fresh green antifreeze coming out of your tailpipe you'd know if it was a cracked block/head or head gasket. That thing would be smoking so bad you'd think it was on fire.

Good find on the rear heater hose leaking, that is the most logical cause.

Back