how can i make i beam brackets

xurnameherex

Reaction score
City, State
oroville california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
Hey everybody I just started lifting my ex 5.5 inches and cannot seem to find
The I beam brackets for under 200. Is there anyway to make them and if some one has can u tell how and the measurments

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 5.5" drop brackets on my explorer. With the kind of stresses that these things have to deal with I wouldn't even consider trying to make your own unless you are a skilled welder/metalworker.

When I got my brackets off of my donor vehicle I inspected them carefully and found that one of them had a crack. I took them down to a buddy of mine and had him professionally fix the crack and weld an extra 1/4" steel plate all around the (obvious) weak spot. The extra plating does not interfere with the operation of the bracket, and I believe that it is now much stronger than it was originally.

I just can't find them for under 200 I found 1 at pick an pull pulled it but left it by the gate and they crushed it:(

Do you think a 4 inch bracket would work ?

Is there anyway to make them and if some one has can u tell how and the measurments

This is one case that this really applies: If you have to ask if they can be made, you should not be making them!

Seriously, these are crucial suspension parts. Asking a question like "is there anyway to make these?" does not inspire enough confidence that you can make them.

You also seem to be forgetting that you cant just use drop brackets. You are going to need (including, but not limited to) coils, extended radius arms, a drop pitman arm and you need to get an alignment. It is going to cost you well over $200. A drop pitman arm alone is about $200.

Another options is to forget about the drop bracket and get some cut/turned beams. BTF (vendor here) will make you a set. Its good for 5-6" of lift.

I am running a set of theirs on our X.

Pic of them during installation. I only have 5" of lift and it is barely enough of a lift to get aligned. I'm using stock pivots.
6157266381_cb4322a88e_z.jpg

cut & turned - Front suspension shot by maniak_az, on Flickr

~Mark

fyi snoranger my girlfriends dad is a machinist. im only 17 instead of being rude u could help to inspire me to be the only one around here that wheels an x

cloaked chaos i no its a slow process for me cause i got my coils next brackets then doin some cool radius arms then steering. im POOR=)

maniak thanks forchiming in how much do u think that wouldcost?

i just need an idea how long and everything so could draw up a scetch for him

Its $200 for BTF to cut/turn a set of your beams... But you have to pay shipping to/from them..

Or, its $400 to buy a set outright from them but you still have to pay shipping to you.

Also, expect there to be cracks on your old beams. Nothing major, but enough that it should be welded up. BTF can do that for you too. no idea what that costs though..

Here is their thread on here.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312831

~Mark

if its just that much im gonna invest in a d44 an 9 inch once i find them
{=

maniak thanks forchiming in how much do u think that wouldcost?
Here is a link to BTF's thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312831
He charges $200 if you give them your stock beams, $400 if you just want them without exchanging your old ones.

cloaked chaos i no its a slow process for me cause i got my coils next brackets then doin some cool radius arms then steering. im POOR=)
I know what you mean. I bought my first explorer with my own money when I was 17. I had to swap out the transmission by myself with a rebuilt one to get it roadworthy. I ended up selling that one to my dad, but I got bit by the bug. I ended up buying another one and have been doing as many mods as I can as time goes on. I even bought a third explorer for parts.

Also, if you need to add more information to any thread and you were the last person to post in it, just look on the bottom right corner of your last post in that thread. You will see a button that says "Edit". Click that button and it will allow you to modify your post to add more information.

yeah? mines my moms old one she bought another lol i found a drop pitman arm on that bronco 2 at pick pull but i keep forgetting the pickle fork =/. all my friends wheel with yotas and talk **** about my explorer but it keeps up. =]

anything you guys can help me with would be really helpful thank you
what coils u runnin?

I'm not exactly sure what lift I am running since I pulled it off of my parts explorer and I don't know a lot about the different ones on the market, but all the research I have done so far leads me to believe that I have a full Superlift 5.5" lift kit with drop brackets, drop pitman arm, superlift coils and extended radius arms. I have a full set of Rancho RS5000 shocks for a 6" lift but I am using stock length gabriel ultra shocks in the rear due to how I did my SOA conversion and I bought a new set of Superlift front shocks for a 6" lift. I am also running Pro Comp braided stainless steel extended brake lines.

[EDIT] This was just posted on TRS: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/classifieds/showentry.php?e=2082&catid=7

I'm not sure if that would be the same lift as for your explorer, but those are some good prices.

fyi snoranger my girlfriends dad is a machinist. im only 17 instead of being rude u could help to inspire me to be the only one around here that wheels an x

I wasnt trying to be rude. If you came in here saying "I'm making these brackets." That would inspire more confidence.

If you do make them, just make sure they are strong enough, dont want to see anyone get hurt. :dpchug:

Edit: Heres a set of used ones for $150.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/classifieds/showentry.php?e=2082&catid=7

Nice setup I got the wild horse 5.5sim gonna take the f15 coil bucket and put them on the ex cause the same rivet holes and the coils will be good

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ya I understand I miss wrote that I just need the dimensions for him to go off ya know

Back