302 exhaust, removed secondary cats and stock resonator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

302 exhaust, removed secondary cats and stock resonator

turboplz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
So I'm on an extremely tight budget until my new job gets moving and I took the idea from Lounge Lizards post about removing the stock resonator and went a little further.

Basically I just removed the stock secondary cats and resonator and just welded up straight pipes in their place and kept the stock muffler (for now). I used two 2-1/4" tail pipes to replace the cats and a 2-1/2" tail pipe to replace the resonator. The only welding I had to do under the car was welding the 2-1/2" piece in place of the resonator to the muffler, the rest of the welding was done in the garage and the 2-1/4" pieces were clamped to the pipe were the secondary used to be.

After I finished it up this evening, I honestly wasn't expecting much, if any, difference. But when I started her up, I was very much impressed with the sound! It's much throatier now and I can feel a slight butt dyno improvement in the low end. Never taken the engine over 4k rpms since I bought it, so I don't know if the top end is improved.

It's not a flowmaster sound, but it definitely lets everyone know you've got a nice sounding v8 in there. Plus the benefit of improved torque is nice. The sound in the cab is louder, but not too bad.

I would definitely suggest this for anyone that is strapped on money, but has plenty of time (aka, unemployment). The total cost to me was $24.36 in parts, already had my welder, cutting discs and variety of tools. Just be forwarned, it's a B*TCH to cut those stock cats out under the truck! And make sure you take plenty of measurements before final cutting and welding!

I'll get a video up tomorrow, too late to do it tonight!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Basically I just removed the stock secondary cats

I would definitely suggest this for anyone that is strapped on money, but has plenty of time

Cheap unless you fail the DEQ/smog inspection due to the missing cats, then you are out a lot of money replacing what you just took out because you didn't have a lot of money in the first place. :rolleyes:

Cheap unless you fail the DEQ/smog inspection due to the missing cats, then you are out a lot of money replacing what you just took out because you didn't have a lot of money in the first place. :rolleyes:

No inspections where I live ;) And if I need to put them back in for any reason, it won't cost me a dime since I can weld them back up for free.

Anyhow, here's a short video of starting it up and giving it a quick blip of throttle. I'll try to get a better video tomorrow when it's light out.

I would definitely suggest this for anyone without inspection where they live that is strapped on money, but has plenty of time

Fixed it for you.

maybe its the video but it sounds the same as mine without the secondary cats removed

5.0L and no resonator

Back