Front end sound when going over bumps -suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front end sound when going over bumps -suggestions?

Badspell68

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD 4-Door
AWD 97 5.0

When going over dips or lager bumps the whole font end creates a crunching sort of sound on the down and upswing. I have replaced the shocks and ball joints but the sound remains. It seems to be more prevalent in the cold and one mechanic guessed at bushings.
Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably stabalizer bar bushings. They can be easily replaced and over the bushing dry out or become damaged. recommend ordering stabalizer bar links for about $10 - $20 off rockauto

Do you know where I can locate a picture or schematic for a 97 5.0? Are the also located in the rear?

Thanks!

I did find it on Rock Auto... Can the bushings be replaced separately or does the whole stabilizer bar need to be replaced?

Check my thread: CLICK

They are available locally.

The sound I am experiencing is more like a ragged-deep-breath, in and out, sound when going over speed bumps or dropping off curbs at slow speed. Not bangs or clunks.

Would this still be a bushing problem?

"ragged-deep-breath"... Possibly the front shocks have blown out, I know mine made a weird noise right before i replaced them.

Back