Opinions from owners needed: Accessories | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions from owners needed: Accessories

Jack Bauer24

Reaction score
City, State
ATL, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Ok...my Limited has a build date and I'm compiling a list of things I may need once my ride arrives. So far, I'm thinking...

1. WeatherTech or Husky mats
  2. Screen protector for MFT
  3. Rear bumper cover for top of bumper

What else do you all recommend? TIA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm a tint and clear bra person.

splash guards/mud flaps

Car care products?

Here is my list
1) Mud Flaps (Still not sure why this is not standard! oh and my sales guy was trying to tell me thas Ford only had rears, thanks to pics from JDraper, I showed him he was full of BS)
2) 3M Paint Protection Films for rear bumber
3) Husky (or WT) mats
4) 17" or 18" winter rims... (but I have time since the X should arrive with spring here!)

Do you need to have the dealership install the mud guards or is it easy enough to do on your own? My father in law owns a body shop so he has a lift.

Do you need to have the dealership install the mud guards or is it easy enough to do on your own? My father in law owns a body shop so he has a lift.

They are extremely easy to install. Did it in my garage in an hour for all 4.

Bumper Cover??

Ok Guys
Clue me in what is a bumper cover, what does it protect and where do you get it.

Ok Guys
Clue me in what is a bumper cover, what does it protect and where do you get it.

The bumper cover is meant to protect the area when you're loading, unloading things, or need to step up on it to load things on the roof racks.
The Ford bumper cover really doesn't protect the bumper at all. It leaves the edge of the bumper exposed to chipping when you load something into the car. The only time I've ever used it was when I had to step on it to tie something down on the crossbars. The only reason it's nice is because it says Explorer on it but it's not really noticeable if you think about it. I'd recommend a 3rd party bumper cover that provides full coverage of the area.

Also, if you do prompt for it and get it installed by the dealer, make sure there are no bubbles present.

Tint all windows except windshield eyebrow.
K&N air filter

The shark antenna, nerf bars for sure

Ok just upgraded the fog lamps to H11 Su/2 brighter, whiter bulbs.

bmc's bumper cover is much nicer then fords oem cover. Fords is more like a sticker. One necessary item IMO are the oem mud flaps. Tinting the front windows to match the rear is a good idea and I got the weatherTech floormats and love them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back