Explorer Front End Clicking

Menwa

Reaction score
City, State
Noack, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hello,

I am sure this topic has been discussed here someplace but I am unable to come up with the correct word combo to find any thread relating to this latest issue.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT that has been in for a few issues such as right A-pillar wind noise, turn signals fogging, and still need to address the smelly engine on acceleration even after 17k miles.

It appears I have yet another issue with my Explorer. Over the weekend I was pulling out of my driveway, making a hard left turn to do so, and I heard a "pop" or "click" type noise when I released the wheel to return to center. Several months ago I had the noise appear when I applied the brakes and rolled to a stop, but it disappeared and left my mind.

When I dropped the truck off at the dealer to have the turn signals replaced I notified them of the issue and was able to reproduce once with a tech in the car, but not more than that. I know that since the Explorer is a front wheel drive vehicle it has CV joints, and I know when CV joints begin to fail they click in turns, so I am a bit concerned that my fairly new vehicle may be developing a slow CV joint issue.

Anybody here experiencing the same issue(s) and, if so, how did you address with dealer and how did they resolve the problem?

Also, anybody experience rattling/vibrating/bee buzz noise from the Left A-pillar area of your truck? That has begun recently as well and is highly irritating. It is one of the ambient noises that my brain tends to fixate on thus making the commute a buzzing pain when it surfaces.

I love my Explorer and would dream of no other vehicle at this stage of my life, but I do have remorse over buying a new year model with so many issues. I understand that new year model purchasers are the guinea pigs but this is getting a bit absurd.

Any info, guidance, advice, etc., is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are threads to all your concerns.

For the clicking on the front end I saw some threads where they perfrom some minor welding to the front frame.

For the A-Pillar there seems to by a TSB in the works.

TSB is out or the A pillar issues. See a pillar thread for the TSB #

We have the clicking on our 2012. I have not made it in to the dealer yet with this, but it's getting more frequent and predictable.

I can now get it to click sitting still by turning the wheels from left to right and back..... :(

Other than that our EX has been perfect....

Thanks for digging up that thread. I hope that isn't the same problem I'm having!

Our problem makes the distinct sound of a broken CV joint that you usually hear on older poorly maintained FWD vehicles. I'll make a video of it in a little bit. It's not so much a metal on metal pop or clunk... it's a...

<click><click><click><click>

sound....

Ajar

I am familiar with the sound you are describing, one of the CV joints on my old Mazda went out and made that clicking noise. I hope they are able to track it down and fix it.

That's interesting. I wouldn't think it was a CV joint at first glance, as I have never had one make noise without them spinning, i.e. without the vehicle in motion.

The clicking also seems to be a rather high pitch, almost an electrical ticking noise.

Very interesting indeed... I am curious as to the cause and solution... keep us posted!

She goes in Monday.... I'll post updates as I get the news... :)

Alex

Clicking/popping

So, from reading another thread I follow I guess I will have to look at the drivers side A-pillar now as I am starting to get the same rattling I heard from the passenger side before they replaced it. I wish I could just ignore it but I have a nasty habit of tuning into ambient noise, and with an hour commute round trip daily the rattle gets to grating the nerves...

Regarding the clicking, it is not the constant click that Ajar has in his video. It is more of a single POP sound as I turn the wheel back to center from a hard left turn. I have started to notice it coming from the right side as well. It can also be heard while rolling to a slow speed stop, that is actually when I first noticed it several months ago. I dismissed it at that time as it being something in the road, but am paying more attention to it now.

BTW, what if MFT that I see some people refer to in posts?

MFT is short for MyFord Touch.

MFT is short for MyFord Touch.
When I was working in the government 34 years ago it stood for Multi-Functional Terminal. :D

Peter

Still in the shop.... I was told they are having a tough time getting the necessary front end suspension components.... He said hopefully it will be done by this weekend...

Thank goodness for 1st day rental option on that extended warranty! ;)

Still in the shop.... Wow... :(

Did they say what it was? I was thinking maybe something to do with the electric power steering assist?

My service advisors ears must of been tingling.....

They tried replacing in this order... The strut plate, then the strut bearing and ultimately they ended up replacing the entire strut assembly... which finally fixed the noise.

He said that the truck is now about ready, just in the body shop for a few minor new car delivery details...

Odd. I've heard squeaks and stuff due to that but clicking is new...

Oh well- at least they figured it out! :thumbsup:

My service advisors ears must of been tingling.....

They tried replacing in this order... The strut plate, then the strut bearing and ultimately they ended up replacing the entire strut assembly... which finally fixed the noise.

He said that the truck is now about ready, just in the body shop for a few minor new car delivery details...

From the look of the exterior of the tire. There is some unusual wear. Almost like the outside is wearing quicker. Just eh first inch or inch an a quarter of the tread. Wonder is this was related to the popping noise. If soooooooo. then you might want to get some new tires. Make Ford pay for them of course. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...It can also be heard while rolling to a slow speed stop, that is actually when I first noticed it several months ago. I dismissed it at that time as it being something in the road, but am paying more attention to it now...
I’m sorry I missed this thread before, Menwa. I wanted to check in to see if you’re still hearing the noise. I can help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact info, VIN, dealer name/state, and mileage.

...He said that the truck is now about ready, just in the body shop for a few minor new car delivery details...
That’s great news, Ajar. I still have your VIN from previous messages, so let me know via PM if you run into any troubles.

Cory

Back