Small round switch by parking brake...what is this??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Small round switch by parking brake...what is this???

jchristian79

Reaction score
I was wiring in the bluetooth mic for my new head unit last night when I noticed this small switched thing. It's located just below the release pull for the parking brake on the drivers side kick panel. It almost looks like a sensor or a speaker.

It's between the size of a half dollar and quarter and it has a toggle switch with the options for HI-LO-OFF and is set to LO. It's attached to the kick panel with one small screw, the other hole is not attached and there doesn't seem to be evidence that it was ever attached. The lead coming out the back is black shrink wrapped and goes under the kick panel so I couldn't tell where it went to.

At first I thought it might be the speaker for the message center chime, but when I put my ear down there when the key was in and off, it wasn't chiming. It sure looks funky to be factory but then again, who knows!

Anyone know what this is for???

photo.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer does not have this.Have to love the PATRIOT Act:thumbdwn:.

My explorer does not have this.Have to love the PATRIOT Act:thumbdwn:.

Yeah, a government surveillance device, that's what it is. :rolleyes:

It looks like an aftermarket bluetooth unit or something. Have you traced the wires at all?

possibly a parking assist (backup alarm) buzzer ??

I haven't traced the wires all the way, just into the kick panel, but I did not remove it. The truck does have the backup sensors that beep horrendously loud when it senses something behind it. That's a good idea to check out.

judging by the "hi/low/off" and the fact it looks like a speaker of some kind, I'm going to go with the theory of it being related to the backup assist...

Well, mystery solved, thanks to your guys' direction. I ruled out the govt tracking device (found that in the glove box :p: )

Actually, I just went out and turned it to off, put the car in reverse and didn't hear any beeping. Turned it back to LO, did the same thing and the beeping came back. Looks like it's the backup sensors. Weird though, I thought those came from the factory, but I guess they didn't! The install on the bumper factory looks factory though!

Thanks for all ya'lls input, good to know what it is now!

Excellent!

Good installs can look factory. Paraphoe here has a nice install.

Lets see a pic of the rear bumper. I'm curious to see how they look added on.

The factory reverse sensors beep from the headliner in the back near the hatch. You will also have an OFF switch to the left of the steering column if it is factory. That, i can tell you, is not factory.

Here's a few shots of the sensors on the truck. I've seen other 3rd Gens with backup sensors, but they've always been a part of a solid strip that's attached to the bumper and extends across all 4 sensors. Is that type the stock option?

I don't care that these are aftermarket, they work perfectly. I definitely like the look of the ones I have compared to the "strip" type I mentioned above.

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

photo3.jpg

Yup- aftermarket, and a nice, clean install. Only way to improve was if they were body colored. Like em though... :thumbsup:

Wow I like those a lot better than that bulky strip that mine has... :( Clean install. But if that speaker is too awkward, or in your way, I would tuck it up under the dash more.

Wow I like those a lot better than that bulky strip that mine has... :( Clean install. But if that speaker is too awkward, or in your way, I would tuck it up under the dash more.

I never even noticed the speaker until I was running the mic line for my head unit install last week so I'm thinking it's probably good where it is :thumbsup:

I keep discovering new things about this truck (and how well the previous owner took care of it!) every week. After 3 months, I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Back