Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Thanks Cory, but you've already help me tremendously with this. My vehicle has been at the dealership two different times, and I'm waiting for 10,000 miles to be on my vehicle to revisit the problem because that's what the Ford techs told my dealership that is wouldn't probably go away until the break-in period which they're saying is 10,000 miles on my engine. Thanks again Cory. Wouldn't know what I would have done without your help. I just hope that Ford is taking this problem seriously because I would think a break-in mileage period would be around 5,000 miles. My vehicle has around 7,800 on her right now, and it still does it, especially with the air conditioner on. Although the smell does happen also with the air conditioner off, but I notice it more with the A/C on.

There is usually a really bad smell during the break in period. Once the break in period occurs, the awful smell that smells like a rotten egg or something should go away.

I accelerated several times yesterday up to 5,000 RPM to see if I could smell the burnt smell. I only smelled a slight presence of some kind of burning but nothing very significant. I didn't have the air on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To those of you who have smelled burnt oil,

I’m not a technician and I’m not allowed to guess whether this is a known issue, so I’d like to assist you by escalating your concern and arranging for you to be called. If you haven’t already done so, please send me a private message with your contact info, VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

I sent you my info too

Finally hit the Trifecta!

After nearly four months and 5200 miles, my 2012 LTD has experienced the 'big three'; A pillar vibration, MFT implosion and now the "Smell".

The smell makes itself readily apparent after sitting in traffic, under hard acceleration (entering interstate) and when slowing from highway speeds. It's very strong but, unlike others here, I would characterize the smell as similar to burning brake pads or transmission related odors. It fills the cabin. It is more noticeable in colder weather (below freezing).

Anyway, with a necessary cross-country trip facing me, I am not a little concerned that this rolling recall will not survive the 7000 miles.

When Irene struck this August my Honda Pilot was totaled. I had hoped this Explorer would be a pleasant distraction to the recovery/rebuilding process. On the contrary; I now drive a $45,000 stinker, with a vibrating windshield, raspy transmission and a part-time infotainment system.

What a POS. I think Ford has just about beat me in to not giving a damn.

After nearly four months and 5200 miles, my 2012 LTD has experienced the 'big three'; A pillar vibration, MFT implosion and now the "Smell"...
soloxx,

I want to see that this is resolved once and for all, so I arranged a follow-up for you. I also sent a PM with more details.

Cory

After nearly four months and 5200 miles, my 2012 LTD has experienced the 'big three'; A pillar vibration, MFT implosion and now the "Smell".

The smell makes itself readily apparent after sitting in traffic, under hard acceleration (entering interstate) and when slowing from highway speeds. It's very strong but, unlike others here, I would characterize the smell as similar to burning brake pads or transmission related odors. It fills the cabin. It is more noticeable in colder weather (below freezing).

Anyway, with a necessary cross-country trip facing me, I am not a little concerned that this rolling recall will not survive the 7000 miles.

When Irene struck this August my Honda Pilot was totaled. I had hoped this Explorer would be a pleasant distraction to the recovery/rebuilding process. On the contrary; I now drive a $45,000 stinker, with a vibrating windshield, raspy transmission and a part-time infotainment system.

What a POS. I think Ford has just about beat me in to not giving a damn.

Yes you bought a stinker. There's some in every bunch. Mine isn't and there are absolutely way more happy owners than disgruntled ones. Have you brought it to the dealer. Dealers fix the few complaints you have made. I say this as you didn't mention having any of these matters looked at. I had a few minor issues such as yours and they are all fixed. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you have my apologies to you. Luck of the draw.

Curious if solved

I am preparing to purchase my third Explorer LTD since '98 but I have just read through this thread! Certainly great pre-buy info...but not so great pre-sales info.

Has this problem been remedied?

Thx

Follow-up

It's interesting to read all of the different things various dealers are telling owners. My dealership took on mine after Cory helped me (thank you Cory), and I had a "ticket" opened with Ford. My vehicle and, evidently, one somewhere in the North, are Ford's "Guinea Pigs". The Service Manager and technicians are receiving feedback from the engineers at Ford, who is having them try different temporary fixes. So far they've tried 3 different things, none of which has solved the problem. The latest, which was blocking off the rear vents that are accessed by removing the rear bumper assembly, had some effect in minimizing the smell. The talk is that an Engineer is going to come here and work with the technicians. We shall see. My big concern is all of these things they are doing, removing and replacing, etc., might cause me problems down the road after my warranty has expired and then I'm screwed. I feel Ford should offer something in the way of a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Who's to say that during the twice removal and replacement of my rear bumper assembly something was inadvertently pinched or stripped that will cause problems later?! Personally I wish they'd just keep my Explorer and give me something different. This way I'm not stuck with a lemon and they can run all the tests they want on it and not affect me.

I am preparing to purchase my third Explorer LTD since '98 but I have just read through this thread! Certainly great pre-buy info...but not so great pre-sales info.

Has this problem been remedied?

Thx

MaxxJ - since the '12's are experiencing many of the same problems, I'd look elsewhere until they get it figured out. I never thought I'd not want to keep my Explorer, but I've experienced too many problems with it. From the mystery odor that fills the cabin, to the 4 times I had to take it to the dealer in the last 3 months for SRS problems, to the windshield rattling, A pillar rattling, My Touch being very problematic, and the microphone being crap so that callers can't hear you, I'm at my wit's end!

Fixed vs Not So Fixed

Yes you bought a stinker. There's some in every bunch. Mine isn't and there are absolutely way more happy owners than disgruntled ones. Have you brought it to the dealer. Dealers fix the few complaints you have made. I say this as you didn't mention having any of these matters looked at. I had a few minor issues such as yours and they are all fixed. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. If you have my apologies to you. Luck of the draw.

I have no doubt that there must be more happy owners than those with my impression. I have been to the dealer for all three issues. They were able to correct the smell problem this week: I actually drove into the dealer while the smell was present, so the service adviser crawled under the car. It seems the Power Transfer Unit seal was leaking onto the exhaust. The dealership replaced the seal and flange. Hopefully, the problem is solved.

The vibrating A pillar continues in full vibrato, and has begun on the driver's side as well. I've read here about the use of silicone, tape and household weather sealing. I have electrical tape on mine at present. Frankly, this really pisses me off. I believe the only folks who will not have this problem are those who don't drive far or fast or in windy conditions. This is a design defect, and a deal killer in my opinion. Unless a design remedy (sheet metal) is presented this issue will rear itself again and again. A plastic covered A pillar is a flawed solution to a non-existent problem. I have been to the dealership on three occasions for this issue. They have done everything they can, including part replacement. Again, the issue is a design defect, not a dealership issue.

The MFT has been a subject of nearly every visit I have made to my dealer. Whether the problem is the failure of the GPS to determine my present location, the audio failing to recognize my iPod, the climate control going on full blower when it has a mind to or a complete black screen, unless the problem manifests itself during a visit, there is little that can be done. I don't really get that annoyed at the MFT that much. I understand it is a 'work in progress' and that fixes can be as simple as an update. I can live with this one... somewhat.

There's also the issue of a rough transmission, early and abrupt downshifting and no front parking assist sensors (in spite of the presence of sensors for the ACC). Small, even tiny issues, granted, but all the more stark when one considers the detail shown in designing other elements of the Explorer.

So, in spite of my criticisms, there is much to like about this vehicle. And, I'd like to own it for many years. However, I'll not resort to tape or silicone or weatherstripping, or cranking up my stereo to drown out the noise from my windshield. Dropping 45 large for this kind of defect is inexcusable, and no customer should have to come up with a solution for defective engineering.

All the above aside, my dealership (Heritage Ford in Burlington, VT) and the customer service representative from FOMOCO (Robin) have been very helpful. The plastic-pillar-problem is simply above their pay grade.

2012 Explorer LTD, AWD with 5466 miles. Purchased on 09/08/11

Thanks rodzilla...I came to that conclusion shortly after "hanging up" last night. fter going through the transmission problems my '02 Limited has had, I haven't the patience for so many problems. It's a shame because it is a beautiful truck/car.

I also learned that the 2013MY Explorers are being ordered with delivery next month. Anyone think these problems could be corrected for the new models? I am surprised Ford doesn't monitor these sites! Thanks again!

Ford does monitor these sites,thats why you have cory,rebecca,on this site !!!

I agree Solo. Silicone and tape are absolutely out of the question. Ford really screwed the pooch on that part of the design. It just doesn't make any sense why they would even go that route. I keep asking myself why? Why? Who in their right mind came up with that. Blows my mind that someone actually got paid alot of money to come up with plastic clips, velcro and a plastic piece of crap. That's probably the one thing that irritates me the most. To be honest. I'm actually shocked that Ford is still producing this in the MY 12. I hope to God the 13's don't have this abortion on it. Other than that. I am having mine looked at by the body shop again this Wednesday. As is yours, they are stumped. Not sure what Ford is going to do. They will have to do something.

It's interesting to read all of the different things various dealers are telling owners. My dealership took on mine after Cory helped me (thank you Cory), and I had a "ticket" opened with Ford...
You’re very welcome, rodzilla; I confirmed that you will be called before the end of the day today.

...All the above aside, my dealership (Heritage Ford in Burlington, VT) and the customer service representative from FOMOCO (Robin) have been very helpful...
soloxx,

I know Robin and your dealer will take care of this for you.

...I am surprised Ford doesn't monitor these sites! Thanks again!
Ford does monitor these sites,thats why you have cory,rebecca,on this site !!!
MaxxJ,

We do monitor these boards, like NEWPORTNJ just mentioned.

Thanks for the shout-out, NEWPORTNJ. :)

...Other than that. I am having mine looked at by the body shop again this Wednesday. As is yours, they are stumped. Not sure what Ford is going to do...
chimoman,

I recommend calling one of the agents at the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 for further assistance.

Cory

The vibrating A pillar continues in full vibrato, and has begun on the driver's side as well. I've read here about the use of silicone, tape and household weather sealing. I have electrical tape on mine at present. Frankly, this really pisses me off. I believe the only folks who will not have this problem are those who don't drive far or fast or in windy conditions. This is a design defect, and a deal killer in my opinion.

So, in spite of my criticisms, there is much to like about this vehicle. And, I'd like to own it for many years. However, I'll not resort to tape or silicone or weatherstripping, or cranking up my stereo to drown out the noise from my windshield. Dropping 45 large for this kind of defect is inexcusable, and no customer should have to come up with a solution for defective engineering.

I am wondering if the newer 2012's have the fixed a pillars? My 2012 was built in December, and so far the apillars are quiet. We had extremely windy conditions this weekend, and I was traveling up to 80 MPH.....not a peep. I guess time will tell if we have a fix. I agree that you shouldn't have that many issues with a $45k vehicle. I hope you get things straightened out.

The vibrating A pillar continues in full vibrato, and has begun on the driver's side as well. I've read here about the use of silicone, tape and household weather sealing. I have electrical tape on mine at present. Frankly, this really pisses me off. I believe the only folks who will not have this problem are those who don't drive far or fast or in windy conditions. This is a design defect, and a deal killer in my opinion. Unless a design remedy (sheet metal) is presented this issue will rear itself again and again. A plastic covered A pillar is a flawed solution to a non-existent problem. I have been to the dealership on three occasions for this issue. They have done everything they can, including part replacement. Again, the issue is a design defect, not a dealership issue.

I only hear the A-pillar rattle when the car is going > 65 m.p.h. on a very windy day when the wind hits it just right. If it really bothered me enough to feel as you do, I'd silicone the rubber gasket to the window. I agree that you shouldn't have to do that for such an expensive car, but why continue to deal with that level of aggrevation, when a simple fix will take care of the problem? I'd rather just do a simple fix like that, then continue to waste my time with Ford and the dealership.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the correction. Sometimes I just go down the list and read what is said and do not notice the author. I thought some of the responses were from dealers.

This being the case then, with lack of a response to my last question by Ford, I have to assume the issues mentioned, throughout this board, have not been fixed.

Strange! I would assume that if the issues had been remedied, something would have been said, and efforts settle people's fears would have taken place. Having worked in the computer industry for many years, when a problem surfaces, or an improvement is made...a big deal is made...to let consumers know that they are being heard, and that the company is always innovating!

Very disappointing. Plan B.

I am wondering if the newer 2012's have the fixed a pillars? My 2012 was built in December, and so far the apillars are quiet...
suzook,

The A-Pillar rattle really should not happen often with a 2012MY. The factory has been made aware so they are careful when installing them. :)

I only hear the A-pillar rattle when the car is going > 65 m.p.h. on a very windy day when the wind hits it just right...
jrmexplorer,

I still have your VIN from previous messages, so drop a line via PM if you’d like further help.

...This being the case then, with lack of a response to my last question by Ford, I have to assume the issues mentioned, throughout this board, have not been fixed...
MaxxJ,

We are always trying to innovate and me being on these boards is another way for your voice to be heard. :) I’m not part of the improvement process for the Explorer, so I relay all the info I can about an updated fix.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone actually got the burnt oil smell fixed? I've been having the heat on a lot recently and when I accelerate hard to pass people, I smell the huge stink everybody's been complaining about although rarely, only when the heat is on. It turned out to be really embarrassing when I'm trying to impress this girl. :scratch:

Back