• Register Today It's free!

door lock wiring diagram

lynnie

Reaction score
City, State
South Australia, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford explorer 1998
hi i was wondering if anyone has the door lock wiring diagram for my Ford explorer 1998, i dont have remote door locking so i bought one of those bulldog units and im going to try and put it in myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming that you have at least power locks. Horizontal button on the front driver and passenger side doors to unlock and lock. If so, I believe you can go through the RAP module to control the door locks from your Bulldog module.

Here is a website for the RAP module. It has pinouts and the locations of all the wires you should need.

http://mysite.verizon.net/respkm62/viper5301ina1995fordexplorer/id33.html

You will be successful going directly from the bulldog module to the lock/unlock relays in the rear quarter panel. There is also room there for the module / power close by. even though the instructions with the module say DON'T use "punch / fork type" connectors to connect to the existing wire (thru the insulation).... they worked fine for me.... :)

Thanks guys ill give it a go :)

ok its not a bulldog one its a universal one and it didnt come with instructions :-( so i need to know where the central control lock wires are

The RAP module is the part that controls the door locks and even has the factory alarm disarm wire too. In my earlier post I have provided the pinout of the RAP module.

The RAP module behind the left rear quarter panel. There is a door with two twist locks. This is the same compartment that has the factory bottle jack. Here is a link that describes where the module is at.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192268&highlight=rap+module

hi its says 1995 ford explorer mine is a 1998 is it still the same?

sorry i think ive got yous confused, i dont have the keypad entry its a key entry the thing i bought that im trying to install is a remote keyless entry system that apparently you can hook up to the door wires in the car.

The RAP module controls the alarm, remote entry, keyless pad entry, and etc. on the truck. So the RAP module does more than just the keyless pad entry. Do you know if you have the RAP module in the back quarter panel? The 1995 Explorer wiring diagram is very similar minus your 1998 may have the PATS system. But the wiring will be the same. Pink/Yellow is lock and Pink/Light Green is unlock. The reason I refer to the RAP module is it is a lot easier to tap into and avoid mistakes... Otherwise you have to remove the driver side kick panel and fish through the bundle of wires to tap into.

The 12Volt Link for a wiring schematic.
Dead Link Removed

ok its not a bulldog one its a universal one and it didnt come with instructions :-( so i need to know where the central control lock wires are

basically the "sam ting".... there is a wire for the "lock ground action" and wire for the "unlock ground action". the ground is put on as a result of the wireless signal from the remote being received by the "control module". You just need to connect those wires to one in the back quarter panel that run to each of the activation coils in the appropriate relay (ie. lock / unlock).

ok great ive got the RAP module and ive found the wires, do i need to connect positive power and negative earth to get it working if so where are they located?

perhaps "we" don't understand.... but if you have the FORD RAP module in the quarter panel... you don't need to do any wiring, you just need the keyless remotes (fobs) and program them appropriately... check the "stickie" on this forum.

Here is a great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
ID: rrcc
PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Back