Body Lift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Lift?

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I'm new to the Trac community and looking to get a small amount of lift for it. I wont ever be doing anything crazy, just some back road riding with an occasional off roading... i've been looking at the 3" PA that everyone keeps talking about..my main question is how hard is that to install?
does it take very long?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the ST world. The body lift itself isn't hard to install, it's all the tedious things you need to disconnect, reconnect, modify, etc...

It doesn't take that long to install depending on the tools you're working with and if you have a helper.

Oh and because everyone else ask's this question, yes a body lift for 2001-2005 Sport Trac are all the same.

Here a before and after of my '03 ST

Stock with 255/70/16's...

picture.php

Torsion Twist 1.75" and lift shackles with 265/70/16...

picture.php

TT, LS, 3" BL with 285/75/16's and 1.5" wheelspacers (next to a stock ST at Carlisle All Truck Nat'l's '09)...

picture.php

TT, LS, BL, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's w/ 4" bs and 33x12.50x15 GY DuraTrac's (torsion bars and leafsprings are worn out and sagging) need to replace...

picture.php

AWESOME! thanks for the reply..good looking trac btw

Not too long = 3.5 days for me :banghead:

i think it all comes down to rust and how much you have. it took me and a buddy about 7 hours. and this went on a sport not a trac so i had to modify the rear bumper and bracket. but from what i read on this forum the longest part of the install is the body mounts, this part was simply for me just used a huge visegrip around the bottom plate that seems to spin for everyone and deffinetly use a little heat on the plate it helps loosen the locktite up

Set aside a weekend. You're not going to do it in 7 hours. It's not difficult but there is a lot of little tasks. I have no rust and getting the body bolts out didn't take that long. It's just a lot of work.

Go ahead and buy body mount bushings while you're at it. I now consider this an absolute must do and wish I had. Guess what I get to do this spring...

bahahaha I was wondering when you were going to comment :bsnicker:

Yeah man and it doesn't help that my Trac was totaled in the past by a previous owner hitting a parked car.

Yeah you had to realign the body when you did your BL. It took me a couple days to do mine, it was also 95+ degrees with 100% humidity in the sun. I also had Western Pa. Rust to deal with which is a *****.

Yeah you had to realign the body when you did your BL. It took me a couple days to do mine, it was also 95+ degrees with 100% humidity in the sun. I also had Western Pa. Rust to deal with which is a *****.

Sledge hammer and pry bar helped out quite a bit on my BL.

Yeah and it didn't help doing it in summer in Miami. I'm still dreading replacing the body mount bushings, which is why I haven't done it yet, I'm still scarred from the BL.

awesome..alot of good info guys..thanks for the help and suggestions

thanks for all the good info...

im new to the sport trac scene always had full size trucks on 44 till now and need a good truck for family and kids to travle in do to kids sports and i was looking to lift my sport trac thanks to this tread you guys hit all questions i had done with my tt/shackle and ordering my 3inch body lift now

Glad to help out man.

I bought mine from another member that bought it for his but changed his mind. I picked it up for $180 shipped. You can get them cheap if you do some searching around.

If your body bushings are dried and cracking replace those at the same time.

Back