• Register Today It's free!

MFT WIFI / Hotspot

kimruns

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT
Hi, new here with a question if anyone knows, we are trying to see if it's possible to activate the Explorer as a wifi hot spot. I saw the picture on FOrd's website with a usb plugged in, how do we find out what kind it is or how much it costs?

If anyone has a website link or knowledge it's greatly appreciated. Tia!

Kim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, theoretically you can. You need a cell USB modem. These can be had from ATT, Verizon, Tmobile, etc. However, be prepared to do trial and error (buy full price without a contract so you can return it at a longer time).

Some works some don't.

But I have to ask you this, the USB cell modems cost just the same as a cell-phone with WiFi hotspot capabilities.

Why would you buy a USB cell modem when you can buy a real cell phone with hotspot capability and make the MFT connect to your phone's WiFi?

Ford really botched this feature. What is needed is a built in cell-phone like OnStar, or the ability to tether to the cell-phone.

Oh wait, you can do that using the bluetooth connection, it allows the Ford 911 feature to work.

It's pretty cheap to buy a prepaid Virgin Mobile or other phone with data & hotspot feature and pay a low prepaid fee or pay as you go.

I went with ATT GoPhone, and a data package, cost me around $25 a month as I don't use the data much (just in case), without data package it costs $10 a month, or a pay as you go with some $0.10 a minute (that's 100 minutes for $10, and it rolls over). Plus you still have data (albeit slow 9600 bps using the EDGE data network without having to pay the $15 data package.

I use mine as a cheap but effective LoJack (Android with Google's Latitude feature beats LoJack anytime. Latitude sends breadcrumbs as it moves around). Plus it's my backup phone in case I forgot to charge my main phone's battery.

I'm thinking of using Verizon's service as it has coverage even in the boonies.

I have to agree with Charliez on this issue.

The idea of someone buying a separate USB data stick (modem) to run MFT as a data Hotspot seems a little redundant since almost every smartphone out there has a data package with Hotspot functionality.

I guess if you had one from work or a freebie on your data account you could leave it connected in your MFT.

MFT does connect to an open WiFi network like in your driveway or like when you grab signal from Starbucks or McDonalds. But it does nothing with the connection. Yes you can lock on with another WiFi device but why wouldn't you bypass MFT and just connect to the outside signal?

You can turn on your smartphones "Personal Hotspot" feature and others inside the vehicle can jump on the web. Although even 3.5G EGDE or the faster HSDPA isn't all that great.

I think most people interpreted the MFT hotspot feature as a way to browse the internet via MFT. It's not there yet.

There are some interesting future plans with the hotspot functionality but I believe everything got put on hold when it was "All hands on deck" for the MFT Performance Upgrade.

Thank you for the information. We just would like to have wifi capabilities as my teenager wants to surf on her ipod when she has to wait around in the Explorer. It does sound like it will require a fee, which I'm not sure is worth it for dd to check facebook. Thanks for the options - I'll read them again later and maybe give it a go!

WIFI Icon

I recently discovered a WIFI Icon on the MFT screen.
It was located on the middle of screen near the bottom right next to the "i" and next to the home button.

Anybody can help me out as to what it is and does?

Thanks

It was located on the middle of screen near the bottom right next to the "i" and next to the home button.

Thanks

Don't worry - it will go away soon :). At least mine did.

MFT has the ability to be its own WIFI hotspot. It can get access to the internet through your cellphone, a USB stick with cell capabilities, or through another wifi signal. In my experience, I have yet to find a use for it, or hear from someone who has. You can turn it off in the settings.

Thanks

Hi, majicmic!

Like jrmexplorer said, when that symbol shows up, it means MFT has found a WiFi Hotspot that you can connect to. Here's more information if you'd like to try it out:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/bluetooth-tethering-sync-myford-touch

Rebecca

What it should allow you to do is pull up to a WiFi Hotspot and do updates to your software.

Offering MFT as a WiFi HotSpot is redundant functionality when the phone itself already offers the same.

Adding an extra connection in the path to the internet not only slows your connection it will most likely be less stable.

If you turn on your phones personal HotSpot inside your vehicle it works fine.

Remember with the windows rolled up the vehicle is like a tin can for cellular data penetration, (RF tight as the techies call it) an external antenna can give up to 10db higher gain. Now thats where MFT could be useful if it offered boosted cellular data signal strength using the rooftop antenna.

Thanks everyone, it was funny seeing that symbol come up, then never show again.

Using IPhone 6Plus as Hotspot

Hello everyone, when I picked up my new Explorer Sport the dealer showed me an option in the MFT system for using my phone as a wireless hotspot in the car. When I try to set it up I am unable to create a hotspot. I have looked around finding no guide for setting up your phone to do that. I have an IPhone 6 Plus on a grandfathered in ulimited data plan with Verizon so I am not worried about any data charges. If anyone can shed some light on this I would like to get it hooked up so my son can use his IPad in the car.

Hello everyone, when I picked up my new Explorer Sport the dealer showed me an option in the MFT system for using my phone as a wireless hotspot in the car. When I try to set it up I am unable to create a hotspot. I have looked around finding no guide for setting up your phone to do that. I have an IPhone 6 Plus on a grandfathered in ulimited data plan with Verizon so I am not worried about any data charges. If anyone can shed some light on this I would like to get it hooked up so my son can use his IPad in the car.

Not something I have ever used and probably never will but your Iphone 6 can be a personal hotspot without any connection to MFT. On the phone just go to "settings", "Personal Hotspot" and turn it on.

See post 8 in this merged thread.

Peter

As was mentioned above, why add MFT into the wireless HotSpot that your iPhone 6+ already has?

There is no external antenna on the vehicle that boosts signal if that's why you were looking to connect to MFT.

I use the iPhone OS HotSpot functionality in the vehicle and it works great for an iPad to connect to.

I think the future plans were to offer something similar to GM's On* 4G in vehicle data program but unfortunately the current MFT doesn't come close.

If I use the setting on the IPhone for hotspot I will then incur data charges. The way the grandfathered unlimited data plan is set up with Verizon I have to pay an additional $30 dollars for 2gb worth of hotspot isage. I was hoping by using the MFT setup i would be able to connect and not incur data charges.

Back