Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 39 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

TSB Waiting for adequate supply of parts

The TSB is waiting for an adequate supply of parts before release.

Gerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently there is a true fix out for this. I just had it done today. I must say that it is much sturdier looking then previous tries. The applique has absolutely no movement to it now. Very solid. Will keep everyone updated.

New TSB for A-pillar rattle

Ford finally has tsb for the dreaded a-pillar rattle on 11-12 Explorers.
Printable View (48 KB)
TSB
12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011

Publication Date: January 19, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 11/21/2011 may exhibit a buzzing, howling, or rattle noise at higher vehicle speeds and/or cross winds, from the windshield A-pillar appliques.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove and discard A-pillar appliques, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-08.
Check old applique for any clips that may have come out of the bracket and if necessary remove and reattach to bracket as necessary. Refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
Wipe the lower rubber gasket with a damp rag (no chemicals) to clean the butyl contacting surface.
The lower rubber gasket is located on the windshield side of the bracket.
Remove protective film from the butyl tape on the new applique.
Install new applique, refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
The applique has an alignment features at the top and bottom of the applique that must be aligned before snapping the middle clips into place.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-7803136-AB Moulding (Right Hand)
BB5Z-7803137-AB Moulding (Left Hand)

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120111A 2011-2012 Explorer: Replace Both (2) Windshield Appliques (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7803136 33

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Thanks for the info. My build date was in October 2012. I have not experienced this issue. However, I had an unfortunate errant rock that decided to impact my windshield. Should I have the windshield replaced first, then go the TSB, or the other way around?

Excellent!! Now we're getting somewhere. Thank you for the post.

Maybe now I can get this fixed. Dealership would not fix this, as they could not replicate the issue, when I had it in for service.

nice....i'll have to go to the dealership again so they can fix it a second time....

I have had this done already. Not a whisper coming from the A pillars.

FordCustSrvc; said:
I want to offer my assistance by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can do this, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Cory,

Thank you. The service manager contacted me today and I am scheduled to take the EX in Monday morning.

Well here's my report on repairs from this week:

1) A pillar repair - completed, I also compared the the old to the new parts before they were reinstalled, new parts are heavier, thicker, a few more support webs molded in, the service tech and I weighed them, almost 1/3 of a pound heavier. This confirms the thicker material. Result so far very good, 20 mph cross winds today with rain, not a peep.

2) glove box rattle - all good so far. Dealer added washer under hinge and foam tape, no sounds.

3) 3rd row power fold seat ( in flat/cargo) position, left side a little higher than right side: no resolution, many other limited Ex's have the same issue. The Ford engineers told Tammy and dealer that this was exceptable. Still checking on this, anyone have this issue?

Thanks Cory for the help with the issues, any ideas for te power fold seats?

Perry

I have been waiting for this have a very early 2011 and been buzzing for 10k miles now,

Has anyone sat in the passenger's seat when hearing this sound? It comes from the dashboard from that seat, but when you move to the driver's seat, it comes from the right a-pillar....

All fixed, see my post under windshield noise, yeah!

Cory,

Thank you. The service manager contacted me today and I am scheduled to take the EX in Monday morning.
You’re very welcome, cnsheets. :)

...Thanks Cory for the help with the issues, any ideas for te power fold seats?...
Perry,

I’m glad you have a quieter ride now. I sent you a follow up message, so check your inbox for the details.

Cory

A-pillar fix request "denied"; dealer said they can't reproduce...

...I've been using my dealer for many years, and last night while my EX was in for its 10K maintenance, I had asked them to fix the wind noise and rattling sounds coming from the vicinity of the windshield. I was disappointed to hear that they "cannot reproduce" the sounds, so they will not be repairing it. Sadly, it was making both noises on the way over to the dealership. Hmmm.

Does my dealer really think I'm looking to have a TSB repair performed on my vehicle just for the sake of doing it? Really??

I hate to bother Cory/Rebecca with this, but if the dealer would simply do their due diligence, I guess I wouldn't have to.

Tim

...I've been using my dealer for many years, and last night while my EX was in for its 10K maintenance, I had asked them to fix the wind noise and rattling sounds coming from the vicinity of the windshield. I was disappointed to hear that they "cannot reproduce" the sounds, so they will not be repairing it. Sadly, it was making both noises on the way over to the dealership. Hmmm.

Does my dealer really think I'm looking to have a TSB repair performed on my vehicle just for the sake of doing it? Really??

I hate to bother Cory/Rebecca with this, but if the dealer would simply do their due diligence, I guess I wouldn't have to.

Tim

I just got my rattle taken care of today. The service rep said she's seen many Explorers with this issue and didn't even attempt to "reproduce" the issue. She simply ordered the part (after my car sat at the dealership for 2 days). She said it was on back order due to so many people having this issue.

Hey everyone,

I’m sorry I didn’t see the earlier replies in this thread. In case you missed my earlier post, I want to help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already done so, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

...I hate to bother Cory/Rebecca with this...
It’s no bother at all, Tim. :)

Apparently there is a true fix out for this. I just had it done today. I must say that it is much sturdier looking then previous tries. The applique has absolutely no movement to it now. Very solid. Will keep everyone updated.
All fixed, see my post under windshield noise, yeah!
I just got my rattle taken care of today...
chimoman, Spengracin, & Jrister24,

It’s great your dealer took care of this; thanks for updating us.

Cory

Well here's my report on repairs from this week:

1) A pillar repair - completed, I also compared the the old to the new parts before they were reinstalled, new parts are heavier, thicker, a few more support webs molded in, the service tech and I weighed them, almost 1/3 of a pound heavier. This confirms the thicker material. Result so far very good, 20 mph cross winds today with rain, not a peep.

I assume you simply told your dealer to fix them per the TSB:

12-1-11
A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

JohnnyDop, I have my dealer service manager on our web site, he is under standing the issues we are having, so it's easier to get things done.

Back