How many miles do you have | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles do you have

Are you sure about that AWD? I was under the impression that AWDs were ONLY 5.0V8s. FWIW, I have a '96 v6 4x4 EB with 300,000+ miles on it. Plenty of tranny durability problems, but the engine is all original. (fingers crossed, now that I've opened my big mouth).

You're correct, AWD only came with 5.0L V8 equipped explorers and mountaineers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, either way, I'm seeing 300,000 + on both engines (OHV on the v6). Don't know about the SOHC.

i got a 96 xlt 4.0 with 302xxx, and 50k on the tranny

2001 SOHC 171,000 miles w/upgraded VB in original Transmission
replaced Trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles
Only work on motor was replacing the lower intake gasket and plugsnwires

98 Mounty 5.0 v8 add with 104k have yet to drive it since i got it 2 months ago.
my buddys 95 eddie bauer had 227k on the 4.0 ohv, then the wheel came off due to a bad bearing.

1996 Sport 4x4 4.0L OHV 146k and counting

Cheers

1999 5.0L Limited, just rolled 220K...original non-rebuilt engine, trans, and transfer. Still pulling out 20mpg on the highway...way less in the city.

Oh yeah...added note...4th oil sending unit...no noise or problems with engine...just crappy sending units.

208,095 when the odometer stopped working. pretty sure i`m well over 250,000 now.

182xxx on my 4.0 sohc still runs like a champ. There are days were I drive the hell out of her but takes it with out a second thought.
And I average 21 MPG highway :)

2000XLT V8 2x4 192k mi
Been a very good vehicle. Original eng/tran
In preparation for a cross country trip at 180k, I replaced belt, hoses, ball joints and the fan.
Belt and hoses still looked good but the fan had cracks in it.

Front brake MC pads have lasted 90mi in between changes, rear shoes has had only one replacement.
Chg plugs at 85kmi but didn't need to. Still running on second set.
Chg tyranny fluid every 40-50k mi and eng oil 4-5k mil (synthetic blend)

Minor problems
Had one oil pressure sensor failure
Rear wiper and washer hasn't work after the second year
The rear hatch latch plastic swivel failed repeatedly until I made one out of wire.
Dome light cluster doesn't work
Passenger window wants to hang going down.
clunking noise from front end that I haven't located.

Just bought a 1998 explorer 4.0 SOHC with 169,000 miles. Reverse gone in tranny but seems to be running fine. Originaly bought to fix up and sell but I think I may keep it and do some slight mods.

Just bought a 1999 Limited 4.0 SOHC with 208k all original motor and trans and still runs great

Had 296,000 on my ST before I pulled the 4.0 SOHC out of it to put a 5.0 in it. The 4.0 and trans were still running fine, other than the usual chain knock. Can't say if it was all original, but it was only 6 years old with that many miles.

Now...the seats were shot, wipers not working, door handles not working, door locks not working, and many many other little things I had to fix, but all done with a donor 5.0 car or some advanced engineering fixes. :) None of them were real expensive repairs anyway, especially due to all the info on this forum.

300,000 and still going

I have a 95 Limited and with WELL over 300,000 miles on mine! Truthfully, I've had to replace the odometer 4 different times (legally) only for it to freeze after 2 miles...oh well...
I've been able to calculate weekly mileage and discovered that I SHOULD be around 314,000 miles. Original transmission and motor!

ANYBODY BEAT THAT?

My first 94 Was at 198,000 when it lost all compression, Was an automatic, and the trq. converter slipped.

My 2nd was a 92 with 68k On it.

My 3rd was a 91 5Spd and Had 213,000 when I sold it.

My 4th 96 XLT V8 Had 232k when I sold it.

My 5th (The wifes rig) 1997 XLT V8 Had 137k when we sold it.

My 6th and new to me 96 Eddie Bauer V8 Has 198,000 On it. All Original. And Runs like new 22 highway (has a tune, 15 in town) I plan to bring this one up around 280k before I sell it.

My 00' sport 4.0 OHV has 172,000 and going strong.

4.0L OHV with a manual trans with 164K when purchased last month.
Up to 165500 now, with lots of minor repairs.
i.e. Upper intake gasket set, injector's cleaned with new o-rings, wires and plugs, oil change, new DPFE sensor, MAF cleaned, "brown wire" mod, new fuel filter.
Still not running great, but far better than when purchased.

Edit (31 Jan 2012): I figured out why it was running poorly, I have2 cracked heads and 2 burnt valves.
Hopefully after this is fixed It'll run like it should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 1997 XLT has 170,272 on the od and it has been that way since I bought it, does not change, could have 270272 for all I know.

Back