Elessar65's Money Pit | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Elessar65's Money Pit

Ok, well I figure its time to make a registry for my truck (translation: I'm really bored). Its kind of a work in progress, and will be forever most likely, just like the Explorer. :)
Anyways, on to the truck....
Its a 1998 Explorer Sport 4.0 SOHC, Emerald Metallic Green with Grey trim and interior. I have added a K&N FIPK, Hooker Aerochamber dual 2.5"in single 2.5" out and custom cat-back exhaust. An Xcal and tunes from BamaChips to take advantage of the free flowing intake and exhaust. 2" lift leaf packs from Carrier Spring and a TT up front. 265/75/16 (31.9" according to specs) Hankook RT03 MTs, and a Curt front hitch for a 99 (had to cut a notch in the front bumper). For communications I have a Uniden 538W in the dash with a 4' Wilson Flex sending and receiving the radio traffic. For tunes I have a Sony head unit, factory premium sound door and rear speakers, and a 10" MTX thunderform for a little bass. Also I put some clear tail lights on it after someone hit me and broke one of the originals. I just put a Richmond Powertrax No-Slip locking differential in it. You can read about that little mis-adventure elsewhere on here, but I got it all fixed up.
Well, thats about it for now I guess, Its got 174k an change on it, and still runs like a champ. The only thing I have ever had to replace were ball joints and a starter and battery.

15548_210194823792_714603792_4017360_3853258_n.jpg

16jq7pz.jpg

2j5f48p.jpg

Had to get a little dirty
34yr5uw.jpg

Limited Grip No More!
vil2yg.jpg

Gotta get that old gasket crap off
jt9h74.jpg

Crappy camera phone pics from Tuttle today:
29ur2mr.jpg

2vtcfbb.jpg

xodqbs.jpg

Well, since its been a year since I updated this, a lot has been going on with the rig, and none of it good, lol. The transmission finally took a **** big time about a month ago. So I am pulling it out to rebuild it, and possibly the transfer case as well, or swap to a 1354 manual if I can find one.

So far I have had to cut the exhaust to get it out, since not even my bad-ass Snap-On impact could budge the bolts. Although I suspect its cause they were so rusted that I could only hammer on them for about 30 seconds before they stopped being hex head bolts and became completely round. I got it all welded back together, but I am going to have to either find new (to me) manifolds, or grind off the bolts to the flange and either drill and tap, or just drill and use a washer and nut on the other side.

Also, I have been seriously contemplating cutting off whats left of my rusted to hell rocker panels where they hang down from the rest of the body and doing a half ass boat side kind of thing, or more likely getting some sliders up under there. Was thinking about cutting the fenders too, idk. I don't plan on going any bigger than 33s though, but once you get going with the sawzall......

Anyways, break time is over, I have the transfer case out, time to get going on the trans...

Back