engine swap in the spring. figuring out what route to go | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap in the spring. figuring out what route to go

To the OP: I would go the route JD took on his motor, 422 cam 95tm heads etc. Swap in a 5 speed and get rid of the crappy A4LD. (I'm so glad I never bought an auto explorer, after reading all the horror stories)

I'm reasonably sure that building a 4.0 like JD's and swapping a 5 speed, would keep you under your budget.

It wouldnt really be all that much easier or cheaper.

-There is WAY less info on this swap, then the 5.0l. (uncharted territory cost money)
-You would need to cut more of the heater box with the SOHC then the 5.0l.
-There is no "direct fit" harness for the SOHC into a 1st gen, full OBDII swap or custom harness required.
-custom exhaust needed for either swap.
-new trans needed for either swap. (unless your running a OBDI computer and your old trans, I did it this way.)

Honestly, if I were to do it again (I'd swap a Cummins 4bt in, oh wait, I am. :D), I should have done a 5.0l swap, not an EEC-IV SOHC. I dont trust the SOHC and its timing chain set-up, no matter what Band-aids Ford put on over the years.

Either way, you said that your paying someone to do the work.... Dont trust an engine conversion to any old shop. Its not a simple in and out swap. Take it to some place that KNOWS what they are doing! Unless you want a money pit, that no one will work on.

I second this totally. I would also do a diesel now instead if done over. Too much has to be done for ANY conversion.
ALSO...it doesn't stop AFTER the conversion. There's always "little" things that need tweaking and is no big deal at all if you did the swap and are familiar with all the changes done. You get to know alll the little noises and feel of the vehicle. Going to the parts store for regular or long term maintenance can be daunting for a converted vehicle, especially if you didn't perform the swap. I'm using parts for 8 different vehicles for the engine swap alone.

ENGINE SWAP
'91 Explorer
'96 Explorer
'97 Explorer
'90 Fullsize Bronco
'96 E150
'93 Mustang
'87 F150
'85 F150

FRONT AXLE SWAP
'01 Dodge Ram
'95 Explorer Sport
'91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
'96 E150 (steering)

GAS TANK SWAP
'90 E150

12 vehicles for all the work done so far. Talk about a hybrid vehicle.

GAS TANK SWAP
'90 E150

12 vehicles for all the work done so far. Talk about a hybrid vehicle.

What did the tank get you beside capacity? Or did you have to for the fuel pump and sender?
Just curious...

Back