Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Has anyone actually got the burnt oil smell fixed? I've been having the heat on a lot recently and when I accelerate hard to pass people, I smell the huge stink everybody's been complaining about although rarely, only when the heat is on. It turned out to be really embarrassing when I'm trying to impress this girl. :scratch:

Mine disappeared on its own after the first few days. I wonder what this smell is? And why does it stay on some?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the smell went away but recently having the heat on a lot, the smell has been more apparent under hard acceleration. Can anyone pinpoint where the smell is coming through and if it's actually the smell of the oil burning? I'd hate to find out one day the car is going to fall apart because some part is slowly burning up.

Is this problem only experienced by those with 4WD? or have some FWD people experienced it also?

I read that it was fixed by replacing a seal on the power transfer unit, something I wouldn't expect a FWD car to have.

Burnt Oil Smell

Is this problem only experienced by those with 4WD? or have some FWD people experienced it also?

I read that it was fixed by replacing a seal on the power transfer unit, something I wouldn't expect a FWD car to have.

Vince,

That may have been my post you read. And yes, I did have the seal replaced after oil was found dripping on to the exhaust.

The bad news is that, after 400 miles and several days, the smell has returned, albeit not as pungent as before. I've been operating in temperatures between -4 and 52 degrees F.

I just spoke with Robin at FOMOCO about my 2012 yesterday.

Sorry to hear that soloxx. I hope they get it fixed for you.

Sounds like a redesign might be necessary on that part?...

New to thread. Have same issue of brunt exhaust smells in Explorer. 4600 miles and it's getting worse. Is there a fix yet? Called Ford and they have no idea just that I should take truck back to service. Already did - Service says it will get better over time but it is getting worse not better!

I thought the smell went away but recently having the heat on a lot, the smell has been more apparent under hard acceleration...
...The bad news is that, after 400 miles and several days, the smell has returned, albeit not as pungent as before...I just spoke with Robin at FOMOCO about my 2012 yesterday.
1995E & soloxx,

I really want to see this taken care of, so drop me a line if you’d like me to schedule a follow-up call.

New to thread. Have same issue of brunt exhaust smells in Explorer. 4600 miles and it's getting worse. Is there a fix yet? Called Ford and they have no idea just that I should take truck back to service. Already did - Service says it will get better over time but it is getting worse not better!
Welcome to the boards, JV64. I want to reach out and offer my help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your contact info, dealer name/state, VIN, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Cory,

Thank you. As requested, I sent you my contact information. Hopefully we can get this resolved. As with the others, the odor smells almost like fireworks (gunpowder)under heavy acceleration. If any window is cracked open the smell is overwhelming. If not, the strong smell seeps into the cabin after a couple of seconds.

It seems like bad news for those that of us that have the exhaust smell. Was told it's a design issue of the vehicles air dynamics and nothing can be done to alleviate the situation, if you happen to have the issue. The smell everyone is smelling is actually the vehicle's exhaust system doing its intended purpose; however, if you have a window cracked it is sucked in quicker as opposed to it seeping in slower through the ventilation system. It smells worse at higher speeds because there is a wind tunnel effect around the truck so the smell is swirling around until it eventually gets in. At any rate, it is not a break-in process. If you have it at a few thousand miles you'll continue to have it. Bad news indeed.

Design issue? If that was true everyone would have a problem (ie. A pillar).
I for one had a smell for the first 500 miles or so and then went away. I assume for me it was the catalytic converter.

Did I hear (see) that right? There is nothing that can be done about it? Well I can think of several ways that it can be checked out. I'm not an engineer, but I would think that taking 2 vehicles equipped the same way, one with the smell and one without the smell and putting both on a wheel run dynamometer and using cameras and smell detectors they could find where it's coming from and how it gets into the passenger compartment. It could be as simple as the length or angle of the AC drip tube.
This is a big deal. We don't know what toxic chemicals are in those fumes, plus it is very annoying, distracting and embarassing. My dealer contacted Ford and they said to do nothing until there is a tsb. So it doesn't look like Cory can help until Ford does something. This is not a Fiat 500, what do you mean have to live with it? Ford, get crackin!!! BTW, would want to fly in a Boeing built while Alan Mulally was president? Something to think about!!!

Mine still has the smell, but not as bad as in the beginning when I purchased by 2011 EX, back in June. I now have 9,600+ and still the smell exists. I do not have 4WD. I sure wish these Explorers had a little more get-up-and-go to them. I was told back when I had around 1,500 to 2,000 miles on her that around 10,000 miles the smell would disappear that it was just a breaking-in period. I know that a break-in period does not last 10,000 miles. Although, there are so many things I just love about my 2011 EX, so I guess I just suck it in and bear it, and hopefully Ford will eventually take care of these problems.

...At any rate, it is not a break-in process. If you have it at a few thousand miles you'll continue to have it...
I sent you a reply with more info, JV64; please see my message for the details.

...My dealer contacted Ford and they said to do nothing until there is a tsb. So it doesn't look like Cory can help until Ford does something...
Mine still has the smell, but not as bad as in the beginning when I purchased by 2011 EX, back in June. I now have 9,600+ and still the smell exists...
doinit10 & Bonnie,

I still have your Explorer’s information from previous messages, so let me know via PM if you’d like me to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region.

Cory

Well, Ford contacted me yesterday and confirmed that at this time there is no fix for the exhaust in cabin problem. They did confirm that on mine it is definitely the exhaust making its way into the vehicle. As I could no longer risk the health implications from this problem I traded the '12 Explorer yesterday evening. Mine was a FWD model. I really loved a lot about the truck but also had problems with the My Touch (constantly crashing) and I know a fix is coming so hopefully they'll get it right with that. Then the A pillars - Had the recall done but they still made noises. Turn signal indicators in mirrors had to be replaced b/c of condensation. Vibrations from what I assume are the subpar OEM tires, but the straw that broke the camels back were the fumes. There are possible health implications here. I figured it was time to get out of this quick as these trucks are still very popular; however, if word gets out about all these issues... I'm extremely happy I was able to part with mine with only $2400 less than what I paid for it after having it for 4.5 months. I did manage to originally get the truck at invoice less the rebates when I purchased it last year so obviously that helped in the end.

Good luck to everyone on this board. I hope Ford comes out with a fix soon. I just couldn't continue and hoping for a fix while the fumes were still existent and not getting any better.

Cory, thanks for your help!

Mine still has the smell, but not as bad as in the beginning when I purchased by 2011 EX, back in June. I now have 9,600+ and still the smell exists. I do not have 4WD. I sure wish these Explorers had a little more get-up-and-go to them. I was told back when I had around 1,500 to 2,000 miles on her that around 10,000 miles the smell would disappear that it was just a breaking-in period. I know that a break-in period does not last 10,000 miles. Although, there are so many things I just love about my 2011 EX, so I guess I just suck it in and bear it, and hopefully Ford will eventually take care of these problems.

Well, that is discouraging...

35,000 miles. Still stinks!

I will take it back to the dealership (again) as soon as I get a chance. I don't have high hopes though. This is indeed a sad situation. I guess this needs to go to another level to get more attention.

Oh yeah, the A pillar is worse after they installed new ones. Crap design! Sorry, I have had it!

Is that a Diesel truck I'm not following?

I'm in the early stages of a round-the-country trip. My 2012 LTD AWD has nearly 7,000 miles on the odo. Yesterday, as I sat in traffic in Norfolk, VA, I was nearly forced out of the car by the smell. Opened all windows and the roof, and it cleared out. It's really annoying, and unpredictable. And, as one poster already pointed out, embarrassing; I had my cousin from Philadelphia in the car the other day, and she asked "what's that terrible smell?" "Uhhh, my Ford".

The good news? I'm averaging 22.3 miles per gal over the first 1147 miles, including a good number of miles in the 'snow and ice' gearing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems like bad news for those that of us that have the exhaust smell. Was told it's a design issue of the vehicles air dynamics and nothing can be done to alleviate the situation, if you happen to have the issue. The smell everyone is smelling is actually the vehicle's exhaust system doing its intended purpose; however, if you have a window cracked it is sucked in quicker as opposed to it seeping in slower through the ventilation system. It smells worse at higher speeds because there is a wind tunnel effect around the truck so the smell is swirling around until it eventually gets in. At any rate, it is not a break-in process. If you have it at a few thousand miles you'll continue to have it. Bad news indeed.
......so negative pressure in the cabin is causing exhaust gasses to migrate into it.
Have any of you tried adjusting the fan to "outside and high" to see what effects it has ??
I remember reading that Nissan engineers had to re-design the headlights on the Leaf to change air-flow (to reduce noise) . . . perhaps FORD needs to do something similar (to reduce stink) ?
Next big class action lawsuit ? Explorer owners asphyxiated by Ford Motor Company . . . .

Back