yota or first gen steering box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

yota or first gen steering box

Ok so im in the process of collecting parts for my sas... I've tried searching but havnt found much on the topic :scratch: ... Sooo my question is should i go for a yota box or a first gen explorer and why???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I prefer the Yota box, they seem to have less play in them, and they mount outside the frame for a nice long draglink.

I actually used a Nissan box on my 01 Sport, it's basically the same as the Yota box but much easier and cheaper to find in my neck of the woods.

I have a yota box you can have for $60 shipped if your interested.

What i really wanted to know is, whats the pros and cons of mounting a steering box outside the frame vs. inside the frame?? Is there any or is it just whatever fits or whatever you can get your hands on??

I have a yota box you can have for $60 shipped if your interested.

60 bucks shipped to my door?? You do know i live in Canada right?? :shifty_ey

What i really wanted to know is, whats the pros and cons of mounting a steering box outside the frame vs. inside the frame?? Is there any or is it just whatever fits or whatever you can get your hands on??

60 bucks shipped to my door?? You do know i live in Canada right?? :shifty_ey

Damn, If you were in the lower 48 it would be.

Pretty much whatever fits. Neither just bolts up directly to the frame and will take some fabbing. I forgot to mention, when I first SAS'd it with the D30 and 33s, I used a first gen Explorer box. Didn't care for the feel of it, but if you're used to "old Ford" steering you might like it. If you use the Ford box it needs frame standoffs. Best way IMO is to use 1" OD/0.5" ID tube welded to a 1/4" plate. Use the same tube to sleeve the frame and sandwich it all together.

Something else to consider is how easy is it going to be to mount the box, attach it to the steering AND the steering column, then to the P/S lines themselves. Not to mention, how hard is it going to be to find another one if yours decides to take a dump out in BFE. This is a major thing, I think, that ALOT of folks don't think about before going ahead and building their projects. I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but, I try to minimize the "custom" fit/made/adapted stuff on my rides just for the reasons that I offer.

Back