94 Explore Lift Gate Strut Replacement OH NO | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Explore Lift Gate Strut Replacement OH NO

oldnhfordman

Reaction score
City, State
Southern NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
I thought I was making a simple repair to my 94 Explorer as the OE struts were not holding up my lift gate and now I am in a bit of trouble. Installed the two new struts on the lift gate in less than 10 minutes and when I went to close the lift gate I heard a rap.

I opened it back up and found the passenger side, top part of the new strut was hanging off. It appears that the stiffness of the new strut broke off the zerk-like nob which the top of the strut attaches too. It must of been weaken by some rust.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement (after market) for this plate that attaches to the inside of the lift gate which holds the top of the strut in place? THANKS!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just go to a wrecking yard for one.

So, the knob part is attached to a bracket that is spot welded to the frame. Did the entire bracket break off (common...) or did the actual knob break off the bracket?

Check out LMC truck for these parts:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=23

You will need to weld/pop-rivet/get creative to fix it, but it's a start.

Edit: LOL, damn, I went back and looked at the prices on those parts, almost $100. You may be better off going to shop that does welding and get it repaired. If you go to a junkyard, you can get the brackets for cheap, but you will have to drill out the spot welds to get them. That's just insane. Maybe buy a broomstick to hold it up!

picture.php

Corkey's fix. This will work

Basically, grind the bolt head into a ball shape

there was a recall for that.....

Update

Thanks very much for all the suggestions guys! Went to the local Ford dealer and he said could order one for $94.00. Then I asked him to look up any open recalls on the truck, he said there were none. He printed me out a part schematic and I ended up finding one on Ebay for $40.00.

Did not think of LMC as I used them extensively for the restoration on my 86 K2500. Appreciated all the input. I will let you know how it goes!

1994 Ford EXPLORER Recall ID from NHTSA: 99V310001
Auto Recall Date: 11/03/1999
Vehicle Component: STRUCTURE:BODY:HATCHBACK/LIFTGATE:SUPPORT DEVICE
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 470582
1994 FORD EXPLORER Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE HYDRAULIC LIFT CYLINDER BRACKET WELDS COULD FRACTURE.
Defect Consequence:
WITH A BROKEN BRACKET WELD, THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR THE LIFTGATE BRACKET TO GRADUALLY BEND INWARD ALLOWING THE LIFT CYLINDER BALL STUD TO DISENGAGE, UNEXPECTEDLY ALLOWING THE LIFTGATE TO FALL FROM AN OPEN POSITION.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL LIFTGATE REINFORCEMENT BRACKETS. DEPENDING UPON THE CONDITION OF THE LIFTGATE SHEET METAL IN THE AREA OF THE BRACKET, DEALERS MAY ALSO INSTALL A LARGER REINFORCEMENT.
Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY, 99S34

Back