• Register Today It's free!

Everyone's sick of this question

4.6EXPLORERFAN

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So I'm researching the whole exhuast idea between here and youtube but I have some questions. I'm pretty sure I'm going with a flowmaster 40 but I've seen a couple different variations. What's the primary difference between the delta and the (?) other one? Would it be suggested that if doing a catback system to go to 2.5" pipe instead of 2.25"? There's a local Ma and Pa shop that I'm more than likely going to have do the work but I will call some of the chains to check. I don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust but I want a nice deepd tone an appropriate amount of volume. My neighbors never complain about my bike so I doubt they'd complain about the Ex, I just don't want something that's going to drone on the interstate. I want to hear it, just no drone. Oh and one more thing, remove the resonator or keep it? I've read that it makes it louder but how much and will it improve flow/sound quality?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you put exhaust on it theres going to be a drone regardless. As far as sound on an ex goes I couldnt tell you, but you could always start at just switching a super 40 out with your stock muffler see how you like it and go from there. Good luck!

Once you decide on something make sure to post it up. I wanna look into doing the exhaust on my 4.6 X, but I don't want to make it too loud, just wanna be noticed.

So Teejay4490 youu are suggesting the Super vs the delta? Any idea what the primary difference is?

I think the 70 series is what youll like

I Youtube'd the 70 series and found it on a 4.6 Sport Trac. Doesn't seem much louder than stock and at speed you here a lot of intake instead of exhuast. I'm pretty sure the 40 series is the sound I want, I just don't know whether it's the delta or the super and whether it is wise to go up in pipe diameter?

I have the ORIGINAL 40 series on my v6 and the drone is unbearable without music/radio playing. User Maxstealth04 has a 40 series on his 4.6, so if he chimes in he can tell you more

See, I like my Magnaflow catback. I had my 3rd cat removed. It gets nice and loud when I start it, then quiets down a little, doesn't drone while I'm driving, and plenty loud when I get on the gas... Suits me just fine.

So I stopped in the local chain store with an "M" and talked to a dingbat that even though he's a flowmaster dealer said the delta was no good and said he would charge me $200 for a super and $200 for the pipe for a SINGLE outlet. Wow, I expected it to be more expensive but that is ridiculous. Won't be calling them anytime too soon. Called the Ma and Pa shop and he new exactly what to do with my Ex. He said to take out the resonator and that the Delta would sound incredible with 2.5" pipe. Fully welded he could do it for $280 and a tip would be extra. I didn't think that would be too bad so it's going in in about 2 weeks. I can't wait. Oh, and the "M" chain guy said that a delta would only last about 3 years. Seriously? Has anyone else heard that.

Well if You want it quieter go with the delta. I had a friend who has a super 44 on an expedition with a 4.6 and it sounded really good with a minimal amount of drone.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my sport but i dunno what kind of 40 series i have.

BAHAHAHA!!!!:banghead:

I have a 4.6L with Flowmaster 40 series and I love it. Nice and loud start up, and It has a really nice deep sounded tone to it, but, it is very loud. I wouldn't say it is obnoxiously loud, but let's just say if you driving down the street and you put some gas on it, you'll get a few head turns. It's much louder driving on the streets than the freeway. I would say that when I'm driving it does drone a little, but not much on the freeway. If your driving at a steady speed, you wont hear it much at all. It's a really great choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it if your looking for a nice deep toned muffler.

Hbrichman...thanks for your response. I'm really looking forward to getting it done. It's scheduled for February 7th. Just curiuos though, are you running stock pipe or different. I'm stepping up to 2.5". Have you noticed any improvement in mileage or seat of the pants feel? Any chance of a soundclip? Thanks again!

No problem! You'll really enjoy it I guarantee you, it's a really nice tone. I'm running stock pipe, aftermarket tip. I have had SLIGHT mileage improvement, but nothing to go crazy about. I'll try to get a soundclip tonight and have it uploaded for you by tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem! You'll really enjoy it I guarantee you, it's a really nice tone. I'm running stock pipe, aftermarket tip. I have had SLIGHT mileage improvement, but nothing to go crazy about. I'll try to get a soundclip tonight and have it uploaded for you by tomorrow.

Now that's what I call service :thumbsup:

Back