Power Liftgate | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate

Welcome to the Forum PJFW8.:wavey:
I don't think I'd call it a common issue although some owners have been affected by it. As I posted above, it was 10 F this morning and I had no problems with the liftgate all all.

Thanks, peterk9! This is a great forum. It is helpful to know that this is uncommon. I suppose if it were common the solution would be well known. If anyone has success with a fix please post the solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, peterk9! This is a great forum. It is helpful to know that this is uncommon. I suppose if it were common the solution would be well known. If anyone has success with a fix please post the solution.
Seems to be more common then expected. Mine will not open when cold. Looking to see if someone comes up with a solution in short order. :mad:

The service manager who had my X said that after they replicated it and spoke with Ford that i will need to bring it in because they need to order a new latch mechanism which hooks onto the hook. They said the latch mechanism is fine but that it had something to do with the size of the latch itself in the mechanism. The new part will be the same with a small latch in the mechanism which will fix the problem. Said that this was told to them by Ford. I didnt get much over the phone but will look to get more info next week when i take it in to get it fixed. They have to order the part. Will let you know once I get more info. Sucks bc my wife has a 08 LTZ Tahoe and the lift gate on that works fine no matter what weather it is. Hope what they are saying is gonna work.

Taking it in for service Mon 1/2/12 ...... Will have TMS FAULT as well as liftgate checked. I'll keep you posted as to the outcome regarding these two issues.

We were having the same type of problem with the wife's "12 limited. Cold or warm weather, hatch would pop open approximately 1-2 inches then close. I looked at the latch and it appeared the catch (hoop) was out of alignment. So, with the help of a piece of wood & a hammer, I bent the hoop slightly so the actual hatch opened & closed easier. So far, so good. :D

We were having the same type of problem with the wife's "12 limited. Cold or warm weather, hatch would pop open approximately 1-2 inches then close. I looked at the latch and it appeared the catch (hoop) was out of alignment. So, with the help of a piece of wood & a hammer, I bent the hoop slightly so the actual hatch opened & closed easier. So far, so good. :D
Blame it on Keith. ;) He is the one that adjusts the latches at the assembly plant. You can see him at work on the thread Chicago Assembly Plant (CAP) on page 3 of 8.

Update: I spoke with the service manager who is handling the lift gate issue and she said the latch mechanism is on back order and it is a known problem. So probably will take two weeks to get the part in to fix it. So those of you who have the problem should take it to the dealer to try to get it fixed.

Update: I spoke with the service manager who is handling the lift gate issue and she said the latch mechanism is on back order and it is a known problem. So probably will take two weeks to get the part in to fix it. So those of you who have the problem should take it to the dealer to try to get it fixed.
Dealership called today ....... Same issue, same fix ........ Needs a new latch. Was 35 degrees yesterday when I brought it in and it acted up. No resolution to the TMS fault light ........ Still at shop ......... patience is a virtue ...... now into day three ...... :rolleyes:

I experienced the same issue today -13 (feels like -25). It opens for two inches and closes back

Not yet?

Hey guys,

I’m available to help with your liftgate concern by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

If you live in Canada, I suggest calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 to get help from one of the great agents. :)

...No resolution to the TMS fault light ........ Still at shop ......... patience is a virtue ...... now into day three ...... :rolleyes:
rmp301,

I see you’re working with Erica; let me know via PM if you’d like a sooner follow-up.

Cory

Hey guys,

I’m available to help with your liftgate concern by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, please send a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

If you live in Canada, I suggest calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 to get help from one of the great agents. :)

rmp301,

I see you’re working with Erica; let me know via PM if you’d like a sooner follow-up.

Cory

Hey guys,

rmp301,

Cory
Corey: PM sent

Update for you all. My dealership finally got the part in for the lift gate on Thursday this past week. She called me up and let me know it was in and asked when I could come in. Being that I was home I went and had them take me in the same day. I literally was in the dealership 15 mins and it was done. I was kinda shocked on how quick it was myself. So Thursday in Connecticut was not that cold but Friday/Saturday night it was and perfect time to test the lift gate. I tried it several times and it was perfect. No issues at all. Opened up on the two clicks from the remote without an issue. Closed the lift gate too and no issue. Tested it in the early morning too and no issue with opening up.

I recommend those of you who have the issue to speak with Cory to have him setup the fix with your dealership. I spoke with the service manager and asked her if Ford is gonna make this a recall and she said no because it is not on all lift gates and it is being dealt with one on one cases. However, being that they do have a fix it is something that can be fixed so people will just have to report it in.

Thank you Cory for your help.

...I literally was in the dealership 15 mins and it was done...I tried it several times and it was perfect. No issues at all...

I recommend those of you who have the issue to speak with Cory to have him setup the fix with your dealership...

Thank you Cory for your help.
You got it, mdc160; thanks for the recommendation! :D

Cory

Power Tailgate not opening - not temperature sensitive

I took delivery of my new Explorer just before Christmas and immediately had problems not being able to open the tailgate remotely. My problem does not seem to be related to the temperature but it sounds pretty much the same as what others have experienced here. It took it back to the dealer here in Gaithersburg along with print outs of this thread and they were unable to fix the problem. They contacted Ford who admitted there is a known problem with the remote tailgate on all new Explorers with as yet no known fix but that it is being worked on. The replacement of the catch mechanism was not seen as the solution. Interestingly, the day after, another customer came into the dealer with the same problem so this seems to be a widespread problem that Ford should come clean about. As it stands I am stuck with the problem until Ford comes up with a fix

AllanJD, your dealer is full of crap because mine spoke with Ford directly and got the catch mechanism from Ford who has the part on back order and I waited two weeks. My dealership name is McMahon Ford of Norwalk, CT. Look up there number on website and speak with her. She can maybe help you so you could get your dealer to fix your issue. Since she fixed my problem and replaced the catch mechanism it has not had a single problem. Works like the way it should. I tested it out on very cold weather her in CT and it worked every time.

AllanJD, your dealer is full of crap because mine spoke with Ford directly and got the catch mechanism from Ford who has the part on back order and I waited two weeks. My dealership name is McMahon Ford of Norwalk, CT. The service manger name is Denise Darpa. Look up there number on website and speak with her. She can maybe help you so you could get your dealer to fix your issue. Since she fixed my problem and replaced the catch mechanism it has not had a single problem. Works like the way it should. I tested it out on very cold weather her in CT and it worked every time.

AllanJD is correct. Tomorrow, at Ford's suggestion I am getting the problem fix you mentioned, but Ford Customer Service made it clear that this may not solve the problem. I am glad it worked for you and hope it will solve my issue. Ford is working on a reliable fix. In the mean time Ford has been very responsive by offering interim measures. I'll report the results of my repair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got mine back and the latch was changed ..... Won't know for sure until it chills down abit outside, but the issue with us all seems to be the latch mechanism, so I'm pretty confident that we got it!

Back