• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer steering feels loose

blueoval9erlifer

Reaction score
City, State
OAK HILL, KANSAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer XLT
:usa:Any one had experience with your vehicle feeling loose? whenever i let off the gas, tap the brakes or coast it feels like the rear of the vehicle wants to come on around the front. My baby also does this when driving down the road at highway speeds but feels more like when a rear tire is low, they are not i checked them all and running at 45psi. I know that "loose is fast and on the verge of out of control, COLE" but my wife does not like the feeling and i wonder if i have something worn out needing replaced or just an alignment, tires are not cutting out. i do believe my front left wheel hub needs replaced since sometimes when starting out , forward or reverse, it feels like something is hanging up on that side but have not had time to pull it all apart yet and there is no noise like dry or wornout bearings. i guess it could be 4x4 on but have not put on a lift to see if it is coming on whenever it wants no lights show up though.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the rear stabilizer links

Thanks for the advice i will do that this evening

Help needed any ideas welcome!!

Checked rear stabilizer links everything looks good and is tight still squirrely when driving.

toe link ( rear tie rod end)

I believe i found my problem when i get explorer off of the ground the rear tires have no play up and down but side to side got about 1/2 inch each way. i believe this is leading to the clunk/ noises im hearing. This is due to the lower rear outside toe links being loose i think im going to replace parts and get it aligned then see what i have.

Glad you got your issue resolved and thanks for letting us know, I am for sure this will come in handy down the road for someone

Back