• Register Today It's free!

2 piece ball joint

SB98UKexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
UK croydon
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer 4.0 SOHC v6
hi all, is the 2 piece ball joint the same joint as the other single side? im going to be buying the ball joints off ebay soon, just wanted to make sure there both the same?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive just bought two top joints, one for each side, im not sure i understand what you mean though

Do you mean replacing the two piece one with a one piece one and would the one piece one be the same and the other sides one piece one ?

I recently had fitted two one piece upper's, they are handed, left and right. The one piece design replaced the original 2 piece (cant remember which side is which though).

i read you need camber plates to adjust them back to spec, i thought it be easier just to replace the ball joints? but just wonderd are the upper ball joints both the same on both sides?

The standard ball joints aren't replaceable as far as I'm aware. I read somewhere that some aftermarket upper arms feature replaceable ball joints

You'll also need the camber/caster kit, one kit for each side. On Rockauto they are listed under several categories; camber plate, camber/cam bolt kit, and alignment kit. When I was shopping last week, I think some of the kits needed to be shipped from different warehouses than the control arms when bought together, which hiked the price up a lot.

oh cheers for that ill have to do the same thing now

Not Moog, identical part numbers are used by many, including foreign manufacturers.

i meant the shipping was half the price of rockauto:)

I'm just leary of "generic" and unbranded product, especially suspension. Good luck.

fitted a R/H 1 piece instead of a 2 .. easier to do the 2 piece ,though

I had no handling or tyre issues with it ..just put it on...

I had to fit it quick for the mot ,other one was a fail point ..

they sent the 1 part instead of the two ...

no big deal to fit , apart from the L/H bolt ..:)

get some paint behind there too

good luck Steve

and shocks i forgot to ask, mono max or gas a just? there only 10 quid difference, would the ride be too bumpy with the mono max?

I replaced my front shocks a couple of weeks back with the gas a just, I was put off the monomax as it seemed to be more aimed at heavy duty/load so like you worried it might be a bit hard. Gas a just is pitched as the monotube upgrade for standard shocks and I'm really pleased with the handling since replacing them, feels a lot more solid (but then my old ones were shot)

nice one. i will be getting them at the end of the month, also the bolts in the wishbones, did anyone replace theres or just reused them?

New bolts should come with the camber adjustment kit. I've also got a set of Gas-A-Just shocks and they're great (Though my old ones were toast :D)

cool, do you think the lower wishbone bolts are worth keeping as im doing the upper and lowers and unfortantly i wasnt supplied these bolts....

Back