Ford Remote Start Accessory | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start Accessory

dealers use a 3rd party in my area, i have the ford one in mine, and I'm thinking of tearing it our and putting an "AstroStart" brand in. everyone i know around here thinks the same... the ford one is S**T it has no range. its - 15 here and theres no point owning the ford one as it won't work until your close enuf to use your keys. (I'm one of many with this problem) my dealer keeps telling me its normal, the plug n play remote are known to suck, and they recommend the same brand I've used in the past "AstroStart"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dealers use a 3rd party in my area, i have the ford one in mine, and I'm thinking of tearing it our and putting an "AstroStart" brand in. everyone i know around here thinks the same... the ford one is S**T it has no range. its - 15 here and theres no point owning the ford one as it won't work until your close enuf to use your keys. (I'm one of many with this problem) my dealer keeps telling me its normal, the plug n play remote are known to suck, and they recommend the same brand I've used in the past "AstroStart"

Which Ford unit do you have?

The Bi-Directional that this thread is refering to is rated for 1000'

The farthest I've tried is around 500' out in the open..

At work I have to step outside my office but I'm still going through a block wall an about 200' or so..

I believe the longer distance, bi-directional remotes need the bigger fob due to a larger antenna..

Also you can't beat the fact that the Ford unit interacts with the Climate Control..

I am extremely happy with mine..

Joe

You might want to check this out before you buy an "AstroStart". This is a local Dealer that has a very good reputation..

http://www.mobileedgeonline.com/brands/brands-not-carried/astrostart/?doing_wp_cron=1327270538

Which Ford unit do you have?

The Bi-Directional that this thread is refering to is rated for 1000'

The farthest I've tried is around 500' out in the open..

At work I have to step outside my office but I'm still going through a block wall an about 200' or so..

I believe the longer distance, bi-directional remotes need the bigger fob due to a larger antenna..

Also you can't beat the fact that the Ford unit interacts with the Climate Control..

I am extremely happy with mine..

Joe

hey can you look at the back of your remote and let me know your part number? mine is "9G1J-15K601-AA" ive tried everything and it wont start from inside a store or my office, where as my astro start will.

splash5,

The number on mine is the same as yours...
Was yours dealer installed??
Where exactly did they mount the antenna??
Mine is a few inches below the mirror mount..
I can only assume most types of walls will cut down on the distance..

Joe

FWIW...

Ford OEM Bi-Directional Remote Start

Ford Super Center $229.90, $242.00 Shipped...

I bought some other stuff from them.. They had the best pricesI could find...

Fast Delivery Too...

Joe

Aw man, I spent $20 more from partscheap.com. I should have shopped around, I did send them an email to see to see if I can get a price match.

They don't have a controller that has the start, lock, unlock, panic, and hatch open button so we don't have to have to separate units?

If I recall correctly, when ordering my Explorer the 4th button would be for opening the hatch, if you get that option, or if you wanted the remote start the 4th button would be for that. You couldn't combine them.

They offered to install one when I took delivery, but changed my mind when they were going to use an aftermarket unit. On top of that they weren't going to install it and have a car stereo store come in and start cutting my wires. I've had a lot of bad luck with many of these places locally. That made me nervous and said forget it.

splash5,

The number on mine is the same as yours...
Was yours dealer installed??
Where exactly did they mount the antenna??
Mine is a few inches below the mirror mount..
I can only assume most types of walls will cut down on the distance..

Joe

yeah dealer installed, it mounted about 5/6 inches town from the top of the window (in front of mirror) and yes i now the 1000ft is open line of sight walls make a huge difference, it just annoying that in my office we all have remote starters and all the cars ect a re in a line out back, everyone's starts except mine unless i goto the back door (the sad thing is one guys even has a crappy $100 one installed that is better than mine). according to to dealers (ive been to 2 different places) the fob tests good and the system tests good but now they have both told me that they have seen alot of problems with the Ford OEM ones, they both also said they are no longer offering them to customers due to the number of problems they have had with range. my local dealer recommend astro start (which i have used in the past) and the other a recommended a viper based system (due to concerns with the newer astrostarts)

Worst thing of all is ford wont refund me for the poor quality of mine that i have complained from day 1.

Does the remote start work before bringing it to the dealer? Or is it just so the dealer can activate the heating/cooling features when you start the vehicle?

Does the remote start work before bringing it to the dealer? Or is it just so the dealer can activate the heating/cooling features when you start the vehicle?

It won't work until the dealer hooks it up to the computer ...

Joe

I finally got my remote starter installed. No issues at all with it.

Partshcheap.com
BB5Z-19G364-E - $265.44
Dealer Installation - $125.13
Total Cost: $390.57

Dealer charged me $116.94 and then another $8.19 for Misc Charges. Misc Charges are such BS.

I finally got my remote starter installed. No issues at all with it.

Partshcheap.com
BB5Z-19G364-E - $265.44
Dealer Installation - $125.13
Total Cost: $390.57

Dealer charged me $116.94 and then another $8.19 for Misc Charges. Misc Charges are such BS.

How has it worked for you so far?

I received mine from partscheap on Friday and did the install yesterday.

Installation was a breeze, thanks rojomoto!!

The hardest part of the installation was trying to get those white pins back in the bottom of the glovebox. I should also invest in some gloves, I have some nice cuts all over my hands. Some of that plastic can really be sharp!

My dealership is about an hour away and the local ones are very shady, which is pretty much the reason why I drove an hour away to get my Explorer. I hope to have some dealership enable the remote starter within the next week.

100 Series Remote Start questions

Recently, it's been cold out and my father wants the remote start for our car.

Last I remembered, I remembered researching the remote start a year ago that the 100 series plug and play came with 2 new Key Fobs like this option for the F-150.

http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-F-150-Remote-Start-System-p/BC3Z-19G364-A-F12.htm

http://www.lombardfordaccessories.c...ductID=49031892&categoryID=56&productTypeID=5

Part number: BC3Z-19G364-A

and the same thing for the 2011 Edge which is basically the same as the Explorer:

http://accessories.ford.com/remote-start-system-rpo-plug-in-play-kit.html

But when I searched it for the Explorer.

http://accessories.ford.com/4-button-key-fob-remote-start-series-100-plug-n-play.html

they changed it from two key fobs to one and the part number is different.

Has anyone bought the remote start 100 series plug and play and received two key fobs? Dealer service guy is willing to work with me on this to find the right remote start.

Do you think if I got the remote start that is for the Edge would work with the 2011 Explorer?

Thanks.

We have the 100 series on our 2012 Escape and it came with 2 mini fobs. They're cute. :D (They're the fobs shown, they're just smaller than you'd expect...)

How has it worked for you so far?

Were from the same state. Anyways, I have been playing with it for a bit and I have no issues. Last night, I was inside Target at the checkout and I was curious to see if I could remote start it while I'm waiting in line and it work perfectly. It def has long enough distance for me.

I checked your thread and it did help, however my problem is different.

This is what is listed for the 2011 Explorer and this is not the remote start that was originally listed for the Explorer back a year ago.

Remote Start System - 100 Series Plug-N-Play
Part No: BB5Z-19G364-A

•Features Remote Keyless Entry, Car Find and Panic functions. Includes one key fob. Dealer installation recommended; no splicing necessary.

That is the one that came up when I searched for the Explorer and the ambient lighting kit is also gone from the Ford accessories catalog.

For the same price of $228, I could be getting TWO keyfobs.

This remote start is listed for the Edge and the F-150 and I'm sure is compatible with the Explorer.

http://accessories.ford.com/remote-s...-play-kit.html

Remote Start System - 100 Series Plug-N-Play
Part No: BC3Z-19G364-A

•Includes two vehicle keys with an extra button for remote start.

See my problem here?

They changed the part and the amount of key fobs you get from getting the remote start for the Ford Explorer 2011 but it's the same price as the option to get TWO new key fobs.

I want to get the remote start with the two key fobs and I'm wondering if I get Remote Start System - 100 Series Plug-N-Play Part No: BC3Z-19G364-A versus the Part No: BB5Z-19G364-A, that it would be compatible with my Explorer because I don't want to pay $228 dollars for one that comes with only one keyfob when I could get the one with two.

I'm wondering for those who have installed the 100 series plug and play to see if you received two or one fobs and what was the part number for your Explorer.

I'm basically wondering if those two 100 series listed are basically the same system except one comes with one less keyfob.

Thanks a bunch.

I went with that. Don't have a power liftgate so it was the obvious choice.
Please research the other threads about remote start. Those explain why the "option 100" is just a set of new keys, the rest is software activation by the dealer.

Hey GregV8,

I'm wondering if you got two new key fobs and what the part number was.

The remote start listed on the Ford Accessiores website says it only comes with one so that is what troubles me.

I want to get the version that has two key fobs.

Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really- Why not ask someone that sells them? You could have answers to all of this stuff in 5 minutes...

Back