Frame compatability (frame swap)

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
hey guys....im thinking of swapping frames on my 99. its getting rough... the frame is bent where the trailer hitch mounts (hook up to trailer and it bends the whole hitch down lol) already did a body lift, so the body bolts are all out and new... so that wont be an issue..

what frames are compatiable? where there any changes from 95-01? differences in 4wd/awd? seen some nice explorers from down south with paint still on the frames go really cheap at auction sites with just minor damage. like to start looking for one this winter with all the extra funds from the overtime im working so i can start in the spring. part out the parts truck and regain some of the funds.... and oh ya... powder coat the frame before it goes under my explorer!

thanks alot!:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

Any frame from '95-01 will work (as long as its the same body, IE.. 4 door,2 door.) There was a change in the torsion bar keys around 97-98. They changed the bushings to a better style in the later years.
There is prob more, hopefully someones else will chime in.

Any frame from '95-01 will work (as long as its the same body, IE.. 4 door,2 door.) There was a change in the torsion bar keys around 97-98. They changed the bushings to a better style in the later years.
There is prob more, hopefully someones else will chime in.

i assumed they where all the same, as long as i get a 4 door 4x4.. i thought i read something about the superlift not working on 95 b/c something was welded instead of bolt on or something...

thanks for the response!

i assumed they where all the same, as long as i get a 4 door 4x4.. i thought i read something about the superlift not working on 95 b/c something was welded instead of bolt on or something...

thanks for the response!

Correct, 95 year IRRC the Front end brackets were welded not bolted/rivited or what ever they do. 96 IRRC had different Speed sensor locations.
If you were going to try to use the motor tranny that came with it, You would want 97+ IRRC. If not. then 96+ would work if your going to use all your stuff. Same motor/tranny combo.

I did a frame swap on my '00 and put a frame from a '96 under it. The only difference is how the torsion knuckles sit on the frame. The later years have a "PAD" between the torsion knuckles and the frame.

thanks for the response!

Back