• Register Today It's free!

2002 Brake pads

nazcardan

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
How easy is it to replace the front brake pads on a 02 Explorer? I'm not sure if it makes any difference but it is a 4wd. Is the rear axle the same setup? As in using brake pads or is it different?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

shouldnt take very long , pretty simple brake job even with the 4x4 , rear brakes arent bad either , i did mine front and rear a few months ago, took a little more than an hour to do all 4 wheels

How easy is it to replace the front brake pads on a 02 Explorer? I'm not sure if it makes any difference but it is a 4wd. Is the rear axle the same setup? As in using brake pads or is it different?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The front brake pads are easy, 2 short bolts per side and they are off. Don't forget to grease the caliper slide pins that are inside of the rubber boots that the caliper bolts screw into. You will also have to check the condition of the brake pad clips. These clips hold the pads in place while you bolt on the brake caliper. Don't over tighten the caliper bolts, just snug them up.
For the rear brake pads it is about the same deal as the fronts. Check your rotors while you are at it.

pads and rotors

DON'T get rotors and pads off of Ebay. I just got screwed thinking I could spend only $55 and now I have to pay my garage to get it right.

what was so bad about the pads and rotors from ebay??

Back