Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

They are posted on Ford's internal computer system, and every once in a while someone gets hold of it and can post it all for us to see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just brought my ex in today to the dealer to fix 4 tsb's. they told me the same thing about getting the parts next day not weeks... i told them i don't think so but went ahead anyway... ill let you know what they tell me on thurs when I'm supposed to get it back.... (a-pillar, streaky windows, heat coming out cool, and brake squeal)

Funny thing, as I left the dealership, my brakes started squeezing for the first time, will watch it and if it continues take it in for that TSB also.

Really pissed off thread..... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344591

so, got my ex back today. I'm split on happy and semi pissed. according to the paperwork, for the temperature issue, all it says they did was "updated HVAC module to latest level", let's see if that works. The brake squeal, couldn't replicate so they did nothing. As for the A-pillar rattle, they replaced the right side moulding, but not the left!!!!! on the left side i see they globed black silicone all over the seal, and wrote in the notes "found left side trim lose and tightened up". Why not replace both sides according to the TSB?????? anyway, no sound as of yet so I'm happy with that, but left side is going to be the same in a while I'm sure. Finally the streaky windows. I think they followed TSB exactly, so hopefully they are fixed!!!!

Vig
I wouldn't accept that fix. There's a reason the TAB is out. That's just bad service

As for the A-pillar rattle, they replaced the right side moulding, but not the left!!!!! on the left side i see they globed black silicone all over the seal, and wrote in the notes "found left side trim lose and tightened up"

That's completely unacceptable. I would call corporate and let them know about that, along with goin to a different dealership. I would NEVER step foot in there again.

atleast you didn't find one of your seatbelt anchors not bolted down and only hanging by a couple threads

i saw that cnsheets.... and i know i shouldn't accept this but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place cause my mother in law works there and don't want to cause her to have a hard time. as long as the noise is not there I'm ok with it, the silicone isn't that visible to anyone not looking for it..... I'm just happy some things got fixed......

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place cause my mother in law works there and don't want to cause her to have a hard time.

I can understand that. Have you thought about just buying the new A-pillar piece yourself and putting it on? Reading the "how-to" from the TSB, it doesn't seem to be too bad.

Or quietly go to another dealer for that one piece.

F that. if it starts making noise again ill cause a stink, I'm not worried at that point. i just don't want to say anything just yet if it actually works.... its a leased truck so I'm not that concerned about the silicone fix, just annoyed they didn't do what the tsb stated.... if i didn't know what to look for i honestly wouldn't notice the globs of silicone.... lol

i know this is a dumb question but which piece on the X is the A-pillar? I see people on the site talk about it but i dont see any pics pointing out to it. I have not heard the wind noise you all have experienced and hope i never do bc i am tired of getting stuff fixed so soon on the X. only have less then 1700 miles and a little over a month of owning it. I love the car but these small issues that have to get fixed is a little aggravating cause i have to keep going back to the dealer.

di-2011-ford-explorer-018_gallery_image_large.jpg

Hey guys,

I’m checking in to see if you’re still hearing the noise. I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Cory

Hey guys,

I’m checking in to see if you’re still hearing the noise. I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t already, send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Cory

Cory,
Thanks for your continued presence on this forum. So, will word from you to my dealer cause them to apply the TSB? Or will they have to road test and verify that my vehicle has the A-pillar buzz? I don't have the time to go to the dealer how ever many times it takes for the proper conditions to be met for them to test drive and make the noise happen. I would like them to believe me that it's happening and make the fix. Let me know if you can make this happen. Thanks again. Jeff

Cory,
Thanks for your continued presence on this forum...I don't have the time to go to the dealer how ever many times it takes for the proper conditions to be met for them to test drive and make the noise happen...
You’re very welcome, Jeff; I appreciate your kind words. :) I’m definitely in the same boat when it comes to being busy. I’ll make sure the Customer Service Manager is aware of what you want before they call you.

Let Cory assist. He's great!!!
Thanks for the huge compliment, cnsheets. :D

Cory

Cory,
Thanks for your continued presence on this forum. So, will word from you to my dealer cause them to apply the TSB? Or will they have to road test and verify that my vehicle has the A-pillar buzz? I don't have the time to go to the dealer how ever many times it takes for the proper conditions to be met for them to test drive and make the noise happen. I would like them to believe me that it's happening and make the fix. Let me know if you can make this happen. Thanks again. Jeff

Search this forum for threads. Ther is one with a post of the noise on video. Downloaded it to my phone, showed it to dealer and no problem. Service manager wanted it sent to his email so the techs could see it. (Didn't tell him it wasn't my Ex) :D

If you get tired of it, in the interim you can apply black electrical tape so that it spans the gap between the rubber moulding and the glossy trim piece. That will stop the noise. I'm NOT saying that is an acceptable fix, just that it works.

This thread is so long I'm looking for a quick fix until I bring my Ex in for it's first service.

Where exactly do I use the black tape? Can anyone post a picture?

Everyones' is happening at high speed. Mine is happening when I drive over certain rough areas of road, like cracks, crosswalks, gravel, etc.

You can also hear it when a song's bass is very loud. If boom boom pow were on, it would sound like "rattle rattle pow"....

It's annoying. Some days its there, and some days it vanishes. When the road is wet, it isnt there, yet sometimes it is. The passenger hears it in the center console, but the driver hears it in the passenger a-pillar

The dealer couldn't locate the sound, or hear it at all for that matter. I'm gonna need to take one of them on a drive and point it out and ask about the tsb.

I am just confused at why mine happens when I said, but not at highway speeds like everyone else's?!

-HELP!

Your rattle is coming from the sunglasses holder maybe. I had a rattle like this and it was my sunglasses. Could also be any loose object in the vehicle rubbing against something when there is bass vibrations. Another rattle I had was from the little mud flaps located in front of the rear tires. Not behind them, the little ones in front. The plugs were falling out and would cause a rattle sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back