• Register Today It's free!

Its a sad day

Tower"O"Power

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Well its a sad day, I think I am going to have to get rid of the Exploder. My wife has lost confidence in it.

Problems:
1. The Transmission flares between second and thrid gear.

2. The interior lights don't come on when either of the driver side doors are open.

3. The radius arm need to be replaced.

4. And it has a chirp that will not go away, and I fear its the flex plate.

I loved that car, first one I ever bought. Bought it in 2003 for 4,000 bucks. It is almost like your dog dying. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear this:( Hope you find another good rig to replace it with.

Solutions/suggestions to your troubles: 1) convert to manual transmission 2) Replace door switches 3) Replace the radius arm 4) IF the chirp IS the flexplate, well, it will go away when you do item number 1.
My wife of 22 years come this May tried to get me to get rid of the 84 BII that I have had since 1989 when the 2.8 finally crapped out, decide to lock up both front calipers while I was trying to find another 2.8, and the drivers' seat back finally fell off. She decide that "we" needed a "new" ride, so, I went and got HER a Chrysler Sebring. In the first 2 months, the "purge solenoid" went out, which made it a gas-sucker, then the tranny started going out. Long story made short... I STILL have the BII, which should be on the road in April, with many upgrades done to it, and SHE no longer has the Sebring. I got to go get her a ride of MY choice, so she ended up with an "X". Moral here: just because it is old, and having issues DOES NOT mean that it should be replaced. In the long run, keeping, and improving an older PAID FOR ride is more cost effective. The BII has taken about 1-2 years to get back together, but, we still have it. Besides, do you really (honestly) think that you would be happy with a "new" ride??? Heck, I've seen HOUSES sell for less than the cost of a new or even used truck!

Solutions/suggestions to your troubles: 1) convert to manual transmission 2) Replace door switches 3) Replace the radius arm 4) IF the chirp IS the flexplate, well, it will go away when you do item number 1.
My wife of 22 years come this May tried to get me to get rid of the 84 BII that I have had since 1989 when the 2.8 finally crapped out, decide to lock up both front calipers while I was trying to find another 2.8, and the drivers' seat back finally fell off. She decide that "we" needed a "new" ride, so, I went and got HER a Chrysler Sebring. In the first 2 months, the "purge solenoid" went out, which made it a gas-sucker, then the tranny started going out. Long story made short... I STILL have the BII, which should be on the road in April, with many upgrades done to it, and SHE no longer has the Sebring. I got to go get her a ride of MY choice, so she ended up with an "X". Moral here: just because it is old, and having issues DOES NOT mean that it should be replaced. In the long run, keeping, and improving an older PAID FOR ride is more cost effective. The BII has taken about 1-2 years to get back together, but, we still have it. Besides, do you really (honestly) think that you would be happy with a "new" ride??? Heck, I've seen HOUSES sell for less than the cost of a new or even used truck!

Amen sir!! My wife HATES my X. She kinda frustrated me last night when she called it a POS, but her Durango is a bigger POS than mine.... it has the typical dodge issue, the tranny is going, and it gets a whopping 12mpg vs my 17mpg city. Hers is 9 yrs newer w/ 145k.... mine (a 92) has 210k and still plugging along. I've done a clutch, radiator, and water pump, and a few other small things.

All in all the total cost of repairing mine still doesn't equal the cost of a replacement trans for her truck... guess mine isn't a POS after all?

I got tired of working on my girlfriends 1990 beretta, it was a POS so she finally listened to me and sold it to the junkyard and now she has my old 1985 Volvo 240, much more reliable car and I rarely have to work on it. botton line usually women are wrong and if you let them make the choice of what vehicle they want it usually bites them in the ass and you can give them the i told you so treatment.

I got tired of working on my girlfriends 1990 beretta, it was a POS so she finally listened to me and sold it to the junkyard and now she has my old 1985 Volvo 240, much more reliable car and I rarely have to work on it. botton line usually women are wrong and if you let them make the choice of what vehicle they want it usually bites them in the ass and you can give them the i told you so treatment.

It's science...

Fix that old beast. Rebuild or replace that valve body if it needs (better yet do that 5sp swap), it, have you tightened the bands? Change the door switches and radius arm bushings. Drive that thing another 10 years if you want to. If you love it, you should keep it.

It's science...

Fix that old beast. Rebuild or replace that valve body if it needs (better yet do that 5sp swap), it, have you tightened the bands? Change the door switches and radius arm bushings. Drive that thing another 10 years if you want to. If you love it, you should keep it.

^--- agrees with Chris

It's paid for, fix it, drive it till the wheels fall off, then fix it again until it's not repairable any longer, then buy another one... :D

I think you guys are right, I am secretly thinking about keeping it and driving it myself and getting the wife a new ride. Maybe a 05 Explorer.

Though I agree, KEEP the ole girl, if we didnt have road salt in the winters here rotting out our vehicles Id STILL have my "94" explorer. If you decide to buy a new explorer I cant speak for the "05" model yr. But I love my 2nd gen 5.0L! LOVE IT...

I was discussing a new and not so battered car with my wife.

"But I will have a problem seeing you in some donut-box, you seem so happy and I can always hear when you are coming up the drive" (original exhaust replaced with homebuilt 2 1/2 ", made from aftermarket parts)

The Ex stays!!

I have an 02 X my girl tried to get rid of when the tranny went I rebuilt the top half brand new tranny and Pirelli ATRs and it still didn't come out to 1/4 of what she still owes on her Toyota 160k on my X and I will die with it in my name

I think you guys are right, I am secretly thinking about keeping it and driving it myself and getting the wife a new ride. Maybe a 05 Explorer.

2005 explorer's are nice for just about anyone to drive.

You can see in my explorer registry, linked in my sig, that I have put in a lot of time with my explorer, most of the time is not even listed in my registry.

My explorer still needs a lot of work, more than yours does from the sound of things. But I'm not married and while I love my girlfriend, I would drop her off on the curb before my explorer went anywhere without me.

I don't want to get into material possessions discussion here. But I've had my explorer longer than my current G/F. And while I own a 1991 Beretta GT, had a 95 Beretta, and own a 99 Cavalier, junked a 94 Grand Am and a 94 Sunbird, I would much rather be driving my explorer.

I've also drove my brothers 02 GMC sport's truck, 01 Z71, and 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and did own a 2004 Mustang when I was 19 in 2005. Another brother has a 2008 Chevy pickup, I would still rather be in my explorer.

While I will admit, Since I've had my explorer longer than any other ride, I've put more time into it, working on it. I came to an understanding every time I had to pull out a stuck vehicle, that this explorer can and will handle more than any vehicle I've pulled out of the mud, snow, freshly plowed and wet corn fields. Including that 03 Jeep Grand Cherokee "Trail Rated" as my brother always claimed.

I've only ever had my explorer stuck in 2wd. Once I locked it in four high, nothing would stop it from moving but I've not pushed it to the max, because I know there are limits, mainly being ground clearance.

As my daily driver it sits outside with only the front passenger side brake caliper working. The rear adjusters fall out every time I hit a hard bump and I will be installing new calipers once my tax check rolls in, after handing half of it to my ex, little boys mother. Then Ball joints, one has been busted for two years, RA bracket on the passenger side, new spring kit and adjusters in the rear, new shackles sometime this year and the basic things like new brake pads which will come with the loaded calipers.

I also have drive shaft issues, have a post here somewhere, which leads me to believe a new set of hubs or TC rebuild is in the future along with the quoted $800 engine rebuild by a family friend who builds racing engines full-time.

I love my little explorer and know my explorer loves me back every time she fires right up. They are great vehicles. But the moral of my reply is, no matter what it needs, there are newer and worse vehicles out there. I've seen cars under a year old be towed back to the dealer with "Major" problems, the kind that lead their owners to getting another new vehicle.

Ford quoted my explorer's value at $900 two days ago, I have not even put $900 in it since trading my 95 beretta for it. :burnout: My explorer will have nothing wrong with it before it goes through any lift kits and major off roading. That is my current goal anyways.

If you love your Explorer, you will keep it and welcome another vehicle into the family. But always remember, "they don't make them like they use too." My grand father heard that from a state trooper that pulled him over for driving 85 in a 55 in a 1934 Ford Model A.

... thinking about keeping it and driving it myself and getting the wife a new ride. Maybe a 05 Explorer.
That's exactly what I did a year+ back. All the way up to the year of her Explorer.

Worked wonderfully on my wife's attitude, her Ex (2005) is a shiny loved toy, mine (1992) is still an always-dirty, badly-smelly, everywhere-scratched, bricks-and-boards-and-cement-and-plywood-carrying, painting-needing POS. Just the way I love it. :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My daily driver is my '89 240 volvo.
Original Owner, 315K miles and it hasn't cost me more then $2000 to maintain it since I bought it NEW.
Spend the $1800 and get the trani serviced. The RABs are a messing job but not too hard.
It sounds like you may need to clean the door switches for a good connection to ground to turn them on.

Funny how we get attached to our vehiicles. Hope you find a different one that you will equally like .

Back