Sloped body lift + SOA successful | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sloped body lift + SOA successful

What size tires can you clear with with the soa + slopped BL and shackles + tt???

I fit 33x10.5 BFG ATs pretty easily with running boards on too, and rarely rubbed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had 33x12.5's on mine, and only had rub at almost full turn

Someone emailed me a bunch of questions so I thought I would post them here in case anyone has the same questions...

Hey man so I want to male sure I got everything 100%
It's a daily driver and hopefully a one day install.

ND: I did my body lift in one day and SOA in a few hours. I was coming from a full body lift so it was easier since i had already drilled the holes and didn't have to touch the front most ones, and didn't have to do the steering extension again. Just be careful jacking up the truck, always use jack stands, and watch your hands.

So I have a 2001 XLT V6, 31" tires, warrior shackles, and the TT.#
I bought the PA 883 and MORE leaf perches from Summit. Looked like the same you got in the picture. I have new Rancho Shocks coming in as well. Anything else I need? Or special tools?

ND: You're probably going to need new bolts for the intermediate blocks because I don't think the ones that came with the kit were threaded far enough down for the short blocks. Predrill the perches. A bunch of jacks and jack stands helps. Big drill bits.

You maintained using stock size shocks correct?

ND: I think stock length shocks worked fine, eventually when i ordered new ones i got the procomp ones for lifted trucks which i guess were a couple inches longer.

Does the perch have to be welded?

ND: Yes definitely, do it in short spurts so you don't warp the tube and tack weld it first so it doesn't move while welding. If they aren't welded I think they will slide the very first time you hit the gas and you'l break ujoint or drive shaft.

Where do the upper shock mounts located? Stock loc. Or custom made? Is it the same for the sway bar lower mount?#

ND: initially i mounted them to the stock ubolt plates up side down, but they hit my exhaust so eventually i welded mounts to where the sway bar used to mount.

And did that require strengthening?#

ND: I had to weld them, initially i bolted them and they were coming loose.

Is your drive shaft lengthened?

ND: No, I used the furthest back hole on the spring perch and it moved the axle forward an inch and that worked fine, no vibrations.

Are 31" going to look horrible?

ND: no idea, I had 33"s on mine and I think that looked perfect

Do you think there would be a problem with doing a sloped bl and then the SOA later? At least a week?

ND: No, thats what I did. Hold off on don't the TT until you get to the SOA done, maybe even lower the front 1" for the time being, thats what i did.

How long did this take you and any info that you wish you would have know before hand?

ND: the way I had the shocks mounted initially wasn't working because it hit my dual exhaust pipes. so that took some rework. It would have been a lot easier drilling the perches before I welded them on the axle if I had known.

Hey my roommate/welded wants to know what your wire speed and voltage was when welding the perch on.

And I looked under my truck looks like the same upper shock mounts and your shocks are depressed Haha. Mine are stretching with just shackles. Thanks again for all your help.

Hey my roommate/welded wants to know what your wire speed and voltage was when welding the perch on.
There are many variables that determine these factors including the spring perch thickness (which varies) and temperature of the material. Your room mate should know the proper settings his welder.

There are many variables that determine these factors including the spring perch thickness (which varies) and temperature of the material. Your room mate should know the proper settings his welder.

Well I got the same one by M.O.R.E from summit. Looks exactly the same idk thickness. And what about the axle? I think it said on this forum not to heat it up to much so he was thinking tacking diagonal corners, then all corners, than laying a small bead then repeat on the diagonal corner and flip and so on so the heat is distributed and has time to cool? Does that dound right?

If you don't remember or know I can have him just do his best. Im defiantly not a welder. So i don't know. But maybe once its actually delivered he can figure it out.

Dont worry about the effects of heat when welding perches - it's not that much to cause any problems considering the axle tube's thickness. tacking each corner and then doing the final bead works just fine.

Ok thank you ill pass the info.
Anyone know where to find this info or if you just know please let me know,
The bolts that came with the PA 883. I can't use all of them with the sloped BL. So what kind do I need to get. Basically what do I need to go to Ace/Lowes/HomeDepot and tell them?
And same thing on my U-Bolts. Where/size do I get them?
Last question, Universals, when.I take it off to remove the axle can I reuse the same one or do I need to buy a new one. I thing the one on there was replaced about a year ago.

Ight try and run 35's :) how much trimming y'all think I would need to do?

Anyone?
BL bolt sizes lengths I can get the same pitch at ace.

U bolt lengths?

Does anybody have pictures of their steering extensions from the BL? I'm getting a custom 3" BL made and thats the only thing I would need. Thanks!

Nevermind, I called PA and got the part #. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRA-SE3500/

Anyone?
BL bolt sizes lengths I can get the same pitch at ace.

U bolt lengths?

Starting from the front to the back, all the stock body mount bolts are 3 3/4" long EXCEPT the very last body mount bolt is 5 1/2" long. All bolts are 1/2" 9.8grade. Just add the body lift puck amount to these in order to get the bolt length you need.

is the only way to lift front of truck is sloped body lift? i got a 99 xlt i wanna do a soa on and dont exactly know wat all i need to get i would love to stay away from the whole welding idea

is the only way to lift front of truck is sloped body lift? i got a 99 xlt i wanna do a soa on and dont exactly know wat all i need to get i would love to stay away from the whole welding idea

You can lift the front of a 99 with a TT, or Torsion Twist to a limit of 2 inches. With the addition of a BL you can get 5 inches in the front and then from the SOA 5-6 inches in the rear. This lifts the vehicle a total of 5-6 inches for around 300-400 bucks... very cheap. READ post #1. Youre asking a question that has been answered already. Also, doing a SOA requires the perches to be welded...

Where do I get the body lift from?
Which one do I use since there is none for the explorer?

Where do I get the body lift from?
Which one do I use since there is none for the explorer?

4weelparts.com sells it as does many other online retailers. Performance accessories, part number: PA 883 or Per 883

did the bolt size change due the size the lift blocks? or should use what came in the kit?

So doing the math, with one set of 3" pucks for the bl you can lift 2 vehicles. Am I correct? If so does anybody have some pucks I can buy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back