• Register Today It's free!

XLT or NBX

MO-Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Joplin, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer NBX
I asked this question on my registry but I want to ask it here in the gen specific sections.

After doing some more research on my Ex I believe it's actually an NBX. Because the color wasn't offered on the XLT sports (according to the 2003 showroom ad book), and the fact that in '03 they didn't change the badge from XLT to NBX. Plus I have the OEM skid plates (factory installed not purchased). I know it may not have anything to do with it but I do also have the lsd and stock tow hooks.

Does anyone think my hypothesis is correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I asked this question on my registry but I want to ask it here in the gen specific sections.

After doing some more research on my Ex I believe it's actually an NBX. Because the color wasn't offered on the XLT sports (according to the 2003 showroom ad book), and the fact that in '03 they didn't change the badge from XLT to NBX. Plus I have the OEM skid plates (factory installed not purchased). I know it may not have anything to do with it but I do also have the lsd and stock tow hooks.

Does anyone think my hypothesis is correct?

out your vin in on the ford parts site and see if it says anything

Pretty hard to argue the fact that you have factory skidplates and tow hooks. That would have been an obvious give away if it was mine.

Post a pic of your interior fabric and door panels...

Ok. Pic heavy, be warned.

Fabric:
IMG_6753.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

Panels:
IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6750.jpg

IMG_6754.jpg

Tow hooks:
IMG_6755-1.jpg

Photos aren't throwing any obvious signs out at me that makes it an NBX, but if it was just an XLT I would find it odd that the previous owner got the factory skid plates and tow hooks installed and did no other modifications.

I say it's and NBX and the original owner removed the roof basket at some point.

Hmm. Sounds good to me. I was just hoping to get some for sure answers :p. I'll try the ford parts site but when I entered the vin on the ford ownership page it just pops up as 2003 Explorer. It doesn't say anything special about it, just sends me to owners manuals.

It's got newer fabric floormats. Nothing on them says Ford.

It's some BS that we can't just order those skid plates and bolt them on....

It's some BS that we can't just order those skid plates and bolt them on....

Not really...those aren't really things that dealers just had laying around. I have never seen and NBX on the road and only seen 2 Ironman's and Ironman trim pieces aren't any more prevalent than NBX stuff.

If I took it to a Ford dealership would they be able to determine one way or the other?

I also sent an email directly to the source that may be able to solve this problem. Ford themselves. So hopefully I can get an answer from them.

pm me your vin and i can run it....

Those are the NBX seats and door panels...

So everything points towards NBX. But nothing definitive. That's irritating. It upsets me that Ford didn't do a better job of tracking or registering the NBX trims...

If it has the interior, has the skid plates, has the tow hooks..

If it didnt come one then screw it, it is now.

If it didnt come one then screw it, it is now.

I like your philosophy. But I'm particular about knowing what I have when it comes to vehicles :p:

I'll roll with NBX, until I find out differently though.

Can someone define what the NBX is for me? I love Explorers and am familiar with some of the other "packages", but this one is new to me and peaks my interest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer NBX: The No Boundaries eXperience

The NBX package adds a healthy dose of attitude and aptitude to the 2003 Explorer.

The heart of the NBX package is a Yakima multi-use LoadWarrior cargo basket. Highly versatile, the rack measures 44 inches by 39 inches and is 6.5 inches deep. Made of heavy-duty steel, the LoadWarrior is designed to handle extra cargo, and is especially adept at keeping messy gear out of the plush Explorer interior. The Explorer and Ford Outfitters logos appear on the left side of the front of the rack. Aerodynamic farings, locking brackets and LoadWarrior Extensions are sold separately through Yakima.

The exterior of NBX features unique two-tone black front and rear bumpers that coordinate with the black side moldings, wheel lips, and step bars. The rolling stock, larger than that of the base Explorer, is a set of BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A P245/65R17 outline-white-letter tires mounted on 17-inch, 5-spoke machined aluminum wheels. The tires are designed for good performance on- and off-road, low noise and year-round traction.

The Explorer NBX interior offers cloth low-back sport bucket seats with 6-way power driver and manual lumbar support, upholstered in Midnight Gray fabric. The Explorer NBX logo also is embossed into the raised rubber floormats. An additional unique feature is a soft-lined cargo area with storage bag.

Explorer NBX is available in Zinc Yellow, Red Fire, Silver Birch, and Mineral Gray for 2003.

Back