$47.50 switch bulb? WTF ford??

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Noticed that the headlight switch buld was out on my 97 Explorer, so I called the local dealer for a price $47.50!!! WTF? it's a $1 bulb with a $1 base.
and a .50 blue boot...

isn't really a big deal whether it is lit or not, just can't believe the mark up on parts, this was the most obnoxious yet.

*the bulb for my 99 Mountaneer was $21...gee 1/2 the price because it's green? LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or run a search and find the bulbs at a few online retailers for a lot less. There are some threads on here... Ford is selling you the whole switch.

Noticed that the headlight switch buld was out on my 97 Explorer, so I called the local dealer for a price $47.50!!! WTF? it's a $1 bulb with a $1 base.
and a .50 blue boot...

isn't really a big deal whether it is lit or not, just can't believe the mark up on parts, this was the most obnoxious yet.

*the bulb for my 99 Mountaneer was $21...gee 1/2 the price because it's green? LOL

You can just buy the bulb itself and the "mouse condom" and reuse the holder. The premade ones I found on line were a couple of MMs too short and didn't light up the switch very well. Also, some folks have replaced with LEDs - a good solution because that bulb is illuminated whenever the vehicle is running, not just when the lights are on. Getting at the back of the switch to remove the bulb holder requires taking off that part of the insturment panel trim, which is a bit of a PITA.

I am going to try to see if I can match the color with a blue LED, or buy just the bulb on ebay and resuse the condom. When I tried that with my Mountaineer I tore it as it was brittle. I was also thinking some liquid blue electrical tape (found at home depot)

I recieved a clarification on the bulb from Silverstate Ford:

Explorer H/L sw bulb F57Z13B765AC Retail $46.92 Sell $33.16

$33.16 for a $2 item WOW!

I've done LEDs in two of these switches, it's a bit annoying but not too bad. A standard LED fits perfect, but you have to wire in a resistor (I think I used 330 ohm). Then grind down the tip of the LED so it diffuses the light.

I got an extra switch I can mail out to you

Back