Rear Climate Control | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Climate Control

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the link. I tried searching yesterday before posting but wasn't getting anywhere. The google search kept bombing on me.

So it looks like there is an issue with some cars but not all. I'll see if the new MFT update that they're mailing out soon will resolve it.

Thanks for the replies!

Auto Control for rear seats

Does anyone know if the Auto setting is supposed to control temp and air for the rear seats? I don't seem to be getting anything when I have it on auto with rear climate control turned on.

Thanks for the link. I tried searching yesterday before posting but wasn't getting anywhere. The google search kept bombing on me.

So it looks like there is an issue with some cars but not all. I'll see if the new MFT update that they're mailing out soon will resolve it.

Thanks for the replies!
Didn't you use the Search button at the very top of the page? It is located just below and to the left of the Welcome portion on the top right.

Peter

2012 Rear Climate Control Out?

My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Ford Explorer Base model, and it seems rear climate control is out, two days off the lot!!! We understand that the front console is able to override the controls of the rear air console but even those aren't starting the AC up in the second and third rows. We have tried both the front console and rear consoles to no avail. :( Anyone have any thoughts? The 2012 model has little info on repairs, and such, so we hope we didn't buy a crappy lemon. Is it natural for AC to go out in the rear but still work in the front seats?

My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Ford Explorer Base model, and it seems rear climate control is out, two days off the lot!!! We understand that the front console is able to override the controls of the rear air console but even those aren't starting the AC up in the second and third rows. We have tried both the front console and rear consoles to no avail. :( Anyone have any thoughts? The 2012 model has little info on repairs, and such, so we hope we didn't buy a crappy lemon. Is it natural for AC to go out in the rear but still work in the front seats?
Welcome to the Forum Altosaxplayer01. :wavey:
I'm not familiar with the base model but the Ford website shows it has Manual single-zone climate control and Rear auxiliary climate control so I'm guessing that the two controls are separate and therefore you could have AC in the front but not the rear. According to the manual I have on the 2011, all that is required is to press Power for the rear climate, then press REAR CTRL and then the rear seat passenger will have control of the settings.

Peter

I found some interesting things when getting used to the AC and heat for the 2nd/3rd rows on my 2012. Here were my findings:

1. If I take control on the MyFordTouch interface of the rear seating and I set the temperature to coldest and fan to high I get output from all of the roof vents. If I set the temperature to highest then the ceiling vents stop blowing and I get blowing air from the floor vents in the rear (located right behind the 2nd row seating on driver side).

2. If I relenquish control of the controls to the 2nd row dials on the console (you will know it is enabled because of the lit LED) it seems that no matter what the temperature is set to that the heat/AC comes through the ceiling vents.

I originally thought something was up too but now that I understand it everything seems OK. Now, if you are not getting any output from the floor or ceiling vents at all back there no matter which device is setup to send then get it back to the dealer ASAP and have them fix it...:)

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

- Joe

Anyone find out if the car is supposed to do this? Seems wierd you cant get heat to come out of the 2nd row vents from MFT. Major pain to reach back to rear controls to do this.

Was it designed to work this way?

Anyone find out if the car is supposed to do this? Seems wierd you cant get heat to come out of the 2nd row vents from MFT. Major pain to reach back to rear controls to do this.

Was it designed to work this way?
katiems, are you talking about the roof vents or the floor ducts? I believe the heat for the second row only comes from the floor ducts under the front seats.

Peter

Yes Im taking about the roof vents, we can get cold air from the roof vents with MFT, then if we switch to rear control the heat comes out of the roof vents, but not the other way around.

Yes Im taking about the roof vents, we can get cold air from the roof vents with MFT, then if we switch to rear control the heat comes out of the roof vents, but not the other way around.
I believe the roof vents for the second row only work with the A/C, not the heater. I've not used the rear climate control since there is only myself in the vehicle 95% of the time. I believe there are some other, older threads on this subject.

Peter

I seem to recall that when using the front controls to work the rear, cold air comes out of the roof and warm air out of the floor vents.

I have no idea why they set it up like that.

I checked last night, pretty cold, the second row heat works in the overhead vents, just takes u few minutes to get there it's first start up, I feel heat both lowere and upper vents

Spengracin-----So the heat is supposed to come out of the overhead vents when using MFT, or are you referring to when you use rear controls?

Spengracin-----So the heat is supposed to come out of the overhead vents when using MFT, or are you referring to when you use rear controls?
I wonder if the MFT settings regarding air distribution also control the direction of the air. Going through the manual, it seems that most everything has to do with cooling!

Peter

I'm confused and getting a headache.... When controlled by the MFT, mine has AC out of the roof vents and 3rd row. With heat, I get only 3rd row. When using the 2nd row controls, I can get heat out of 2nd row roof vents AND 2nd row floor AND 3rd row. It would be nice to be able to control where the heat and AC comes out from the MFT...but you can't and that makes me sad. :( I control my rear heat by braille and luck with the 2nd row controls.

All I am brand new to this forum as I had a new 2013 Limited Explorer built for me. Right out of the gate I noticed this problem and brought it to the attention of my dealer. Of course they looked at me as if I was crazy. I asked them to check with corporate to see if this is a known issue or if this was by design. Based on this thread, it appears it was be design and probably completely overlooked by the designer.

I can tell you this, my Acura and GMC Acadia allow the driver to control the 2nd and 3rd heating. Everyone is correct in that the Cool air come out of he floor or ceiling, but the heat only comes out of the 2nd row floor when controlled by the driver.

The dealer borrowed be a 2012 Base model (no MFT) and I can control the 2nd row heat from the front...and guess what it came out of the ceiling.

Aside from this design flaw issue, I can tell you I've had other issues like the 3rd memory seat option not keeping it's setting, the leather on the driver seat detaching from the seat, the NAVI creating a whitespace on the map, the Phone disconnecting or no volume control working, the 911 assist notificaiton keep popping up.

I wish I never purchased this car.

All I am brand new to this forum as I had a new 2013 Limited Explorer built for me. Right out of the gate I noticed this problem and brought it to the attention of my dealer. Of course they looked at me as if I was crazy. I asked them to check with corporate to see if this is a known issue or if this was by design. Based on this thread, it appears it was be design and probably completely overlooked by the designer.

I can tell you this, my Acura and GMC Acadia allow the driver to control the 2nd and 3rd heating. Everyone is correct in that the Cool air come out of he floor or ceiling, but the heat only comes out of the 2nd row floor when controlled by the driver.

The dealer borrowed be a 2012 Base model (no MFT) and I can control the 2nd row heat from the front...and guess what it came out of the ceiling.

Aside from this design flaw issue, I can tell you I've had other issues like the 3rd memory seat option not keeping it's setting, the leather on the driver seat detaching from the seat, the NAVI creating a whitespace on the map, the Phone disconnecting or no volume control working, the 911 assist notificaiton keep popping up.

I wish I never purchased this car.

Hi dansamaan,

I want to assist by getting your concerns escalated to your regional customer service manager. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get your information into the hands of your CSM.

Thanks,

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal,
Had people in the second row for the first time this winter.
No matter what configuration I used I could not heat for second row floor. The only second row vents I see are on the front sides of the console which I assume are not for heat since Ex's without buckets wouldn't have consoles. Are there second row floor vents? Or is the air suppose to blow forward from third row floor vent?
The manual was no help.
2011 Limited MFT
A diagram of all vents and configurations would be nice. Anyone see one somewhere?

Back