Mirrors with bind spot mirror panel - new? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mirrors with bind spot mirror panel - new?

Alan in AZ

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 4WD
We have been shopping explorers for a few weeks now and looking at high spec vehicles (Limited). Yesterday saw for the first time a vehicle (may have been an XLT) that didin't have the BLIS blind spot system but did have mirror glass with a blind spot angled segment in the outboard upper corner. had not seen that before. I have "add-on" blind spot mirrors on my current Expedition and think this is actually better than the BLIS system really... I'd be happy to have both too - though the extra blind spot mirror segement is in the location where the LED is for BLIS. Is this new, an option on some models, a dealer add on? This was not a stick on - this was fully integrated into the mirror glass and seemed to work great. Have only ever seen one explorer like this? anyone know more on this?

http://thefutureofthings.com/pod/1162/ford-blind-spot-mirror.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe those type of mirrors are standard on the explorer without factory BLIS, they were on my XLT

I believe those type of mirrors are standard on the explorer without factory BLIS, they were on my XLT
You are 100% correct sir!

Peter

They work very well too.

Agreed with all above. Stock on my 2012 XLT without BLIS and perfectly placed!

Agreed with all above. Stock on my 2012 XLT without BLIS and perfectly placed!
So you can't get both at the sae time then - thats stupid if you ask me - knowing there is something there is different to being able to see what it is...

Still would like both... arrgh!!

Alan

So you can't get both at the sae time then - thats stupid if you ask me - knowing there is something there is different to being able to see what it is...

Still would like both... arrgh!!

Alan
I have both! :thumbsup:

Peter

Attachments

• PB080258a.jpg
    PB080258a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 566

I only see both would be handy for parking purpose only but the bliss works great !!!!

I like the idea of having both systems. My design would have the built-in blind spot mirror with the blis LED filling the seam between the two pieces of glass. I think it would be very handy and look cool at the same time without taking up a lot of space.

I only see both would be handy for parking purpose only but the bliss works great !!!!
The convex mirrors actually eliminate the blind spots and I still rely on them more that the BLIS.
Perhaps that is because I've been using them for 40+ years.

Peter

The convex mirrors actually eliminate the blind spots and I still rely on them more that the BLIS.
Perhaps that is because I've been using them for 40+ years.

Peter

Gee Peter, you are really old!!!!!

Just kidding sir.

I have the factory blind spot mirrors on my XLT and wish they were on the lower outside portion of the mirror face. At least I would be able to see my rear wheels from there. I just don't know why they were positioned on the upper half?
I see that most here like the placement. I prefer lower placement.

On another note, I wish we could have afforded the Limited model. Those things have some really cool options. I guess we have to live within our means though.

Joe

I really like the BLIS especially at night where the yellow LED dot contrasts against the dark night.

During the day it's not as useful as the dot is faded out, perhaps I should add the little mirror that Peter has!

What I would suggest for Ford is (and maybe this could be programmed in an MFT application) to enable one, two, or three short burst of beeps from whichever blindspot a car is in.

For the hearing impaired it would be good to have an indication alert in the driver console as well.

Gee Peter, you are really old!!!!!

I see that most here like the placement. I prefer lower placement.

Joe
65 and counting Joe. I have always put them on the lower outside corner of the mirror so, as you say, you can actually see the rear wheels.

I really like the BLIS especially at night where the yellow LED dot contrasts against the dark night.

During the day it's not as useful as the dot is faded out, perhaps I should add the little mirror that Peter has!

What I would suggest for Ford is (and maybe this could be programmed in an MFT application) to enable one, two, or three short burst of beeps from whichever blindspot a car is in.
Those beeps could get rather annoying especially on the highway if there was no way to turn it off. I would prefer to see Ford program them so that you get an audible warning if you put your turn signal light on and a vehicle is in the blind spot.

Peter

can some one tell me if the new explorers have the automatic miror folder things, like the ones on suburbans, yukons, tahoes etc.., i work for chevy but only buy ford, and would like to know if that is in the new explorer,

thanks
steve

can some one tell me if the new explorers have the automatic miror folder things, like the ones on suburbans, yukons, tahoes etc.., i work for chevy but only buy ford, and would like to know if that is in the new explorer,

thanks
steve
I know the limited models have the electric folding mirrors(both sides at same time), based on a button next to the mirror directional pad.

Alan

thanks
steve
When going through the Build & Price on the Ford website, I did not see any 'auto fold' feature. Personally it isn't something I really need or want. It is alot of extra wear and tear on the motors. I jave the power fold mirrors and have only used that feature twice in 11 months.

Peter

Those beeps could get rather annoying especially on the highway if there was no way to turn it off. I would prefer to see Ford program them so that you get an audible warning if you put your turn signal light on and a vehicle is in the blind spot.

Peter

That is a good point. Perhaps make the beep volume adjustable (none, low, regular, no fat, tall, latte) :)

Or an indication on the driver's console left or right screen would be nice.

But yes, I like your idea best Peter! :D

Peter

Ditto

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back