Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

thanks for the write up.... i'll retry it in the next couple days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

happy to help. PM if you have questions. Good luck!

About half way down the page of this thread I did some photoshops.

I still think nobody has DYI'd a level/lift kit for the 2011+ Ex. If you want to try it out, just get a machinist to make you some aluminum spacers to fit above the struts. Thickness of your spacer equals lift made (more or less).

I'd be willing to bet that you could find Grabber AT2s to fit a stock 2011+ Ex - might get rubbing though depending on various variables. And I would love to see if 245/70R17s would be possible with stock suspension or a small lift. It's really just ~29.5"s vs ~30.7" tires - I don't see why it can't be made to work. People have fit more oversized (relatively) tires on Subaru Foresters and Jeep Patriots!

finally got around to trimming the lower piece.....those damn push clips are a pain in the arse...if i had a dremel tool, i prolly would've just used that and not even mess with taking that piece off....

I not sure if I want to buy a 2011+ explorer until I know for sure if the vehicle is liftable and I am wondering if anyone is planning to lift there as well. I not planning to make the truck really high as some people I am looking at raising from stock ground clearance 7.6 to 9.0 with tire size of 245/65/20.

Is anyone thinking of doing the same to vehicle is it possible if they can post pictures afte mod, I think that would be awesome.

Ours is for my wife, so no lifting allowed. I'd love to see the photos though.

Have you looked under one yet? The only way you're going to lift it without massive alterations is to put it on jackstands...

Great new sig line... :thumbsup:

Spend a few thousand dollars "lifting" it and it'll only be at the stock ride height of a 1st/2nd gen Explorer so it's almost pointless.

I think that would be awesome.

A Jeep or something with a frame and traditional suspension system is going to be more awesome on your wallet. Look under one.....not going to work.

I not sure if I want to buy a 2011+ explorer until I know for sure if the vehicle is liftable and I am wondering if anyone is planning to lift there as well. I not planning to make the truck really high as some people I am looking at raising from stock ground clearance 7.6 to 9.0 with tire size of 245/65/20.

Is anyone thinking of doing the same to vehicle is it possible if they can post pictures afte mod, I think that would be awesome.
Rusty, I just compared the 245/65/20 size you are think about using with the current OEM sizes and it doesn't work with any of them if you want to stay within the recommended 3% diameter difference. Using your preferred tire/wheel size here are the diameter differences if replacing the following OEM ones.
255/50R20 (Ltd) 7.69% - speedo will read 8.32% too slow = 55.3mph at 60
245/65R18 (XLT) 9.1% - speedo will read 10% too slow = 54.5mph at 60
245/65R17 (base) 9.23% - speedo will read 10.15% too slow = 54.4 at 60

Exceeding the 3% diameter difference increases the risk of brake failure.:roll:

Peter

I wonder if Ford has ever looked through this forum? When my truck dies (God Forbid!) I don't see any current choice for a midsize upgrade that does what I need.

Ford if your listening Please...
1) I don't want full size turning radius
2) I need at least 4 full seats/doors
3) plenty of room for storage (bed with cab or suv back either way)
4) "real" 4wd with low range not some awd wanna be
5) lift-able or come with at least 32" tires
6) tow at least 5000lbs (7000 even better)
7) moderate gas mileage at least 21 - 25 mpg on highway (real world numbers not that marketing crap everyone feeds us) I get 20 with my old truck so it better be at least that
8) For the love of God Please include enough cooling for the transmission so I don't have to be worried about climbing a mountain or towing what it's rated at?!?!
9) If it's front wheel drive forget it, I'm not interested.
10) I can give up a frame if everything else is met, but I would prefer an actual frame that can hold a class 3 hitch properly.

So why is it I can go to another country and buy a ranger that matches all my needs with a turbo diesel that gets almost 40mpg? Yet we are stuck with a half size mini ranger and an explorer with no frame and FWD....

Cmon Ford I've been a fan through a lot of bad transmissions, poor choices, oh and lets not forget the oiling problems with the windsor blocks in the 90's. If that doesn't show loyalty I don't know what I gotta do here

ok sorry just venting...

No, the new platform is horrible for any type of lift. :)

I wonder if Ford has ever looked through this forum? When my truck dies (God Forbid!) I don't see any current choice for a midsize upgrade that does what I need.

Ford if your listening Please...
1) I don't want full size turning radius
2) I need at least 4 full seats/doors
3) plenty of room for storage (bed with cab or suv back either way)
4) "real" 4wd with low range not some awd wanna be
5) lift-able or come with at least 32" tires
6) tow at least 5000lbs (7000 even better)
7) moderate gas mileage at least 21 - 25 mpg on highway (real world numbers not that marketing crap everyone feeds us) I get 20 with my old truck so it better be at least that
8) For the love of God Please include enough cooling for the transmission so I don't have to be worried about climbing a mountain or towing what it's rated at?!?!
9) If it's front wheel drive forget it, I'm not interested.
10) I can give up a frame if everything else is met, but I would prefer an actual frame that can hold a class 3 hitch properly.

So why is it I can go to another country and buy a ranger that matches all my needs with a turbo diesel that gets almost 40mpg? Yet we are stuck with a half size mini ranger and an explorer with no frame and FWD....

Cmon Ford I've been a fan through a lot of bad transmissions, poor choices, oh and lets not forget the oiling problems with the windsor blocks in the 90's. If that doesn't show loyalty I don't know what I gotta do here

ok sorry just venting...

No, the new platform is horrible for any type of lift. :)
I think it can be summed up in two words manaen; "Consumer Demand"

It has become quite evident that the market, unlike the 'old days', is now consumer driven and that is where the manufacturers make their money.

Peter

Liftable. Sounds like an adventure in warranty-voiding and increased rollover potential.

Liftable. Sounds like an adventure in warranty-voiding and increased rollover potential.
Which Explorer owners have been dealing with since the 1st gen was released.

buy a Frame Kit and then body lift it ;)

Yup, add a frame underneath, set new Explorer on top, strap down with some heavy duty tow straps (weld it if you're really adventurous), throw your tire of choice on your new frame/suspension and let the haters hate.

jeeplift1.jpg

For the record, I had been wondering how long it would be before I saw this question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back