Wheel bearings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearings

Can you guys list what part numbers you're using for the hubs? I'm on rockauto.com, and I see:

Under "Hub":
MOTORCRAFT Part # HUB67 Disc Brake Hub Kit; OE Design; w/ Bearings and Races; Front, $175.79

Under "Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly":
TIMKEN Part # HA590156, 4.5 in. Bolt Circle Diam; 6.299 in. Flange Diameter; 1.921 in. Flange Offset; Triangle Flange Shape; 70.45 mm Wheel Pilot Diam, 4WD; Front, $181.79

They also have a "Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly Repair Kit", but those only seem available for the rear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think 2006 is a weird year. I saw my car (2006) listed as 2006.5 as if the gen 3 lasted into 2006. Sometimes when looking for parts, i just pick 2007 model.

I think 2006 is a weird year. I saw my car (2006) listed as 2006.5 as if the gen 3 lasted into 2006. Sometimes when looking for parts, i just pick 2007 model.

For 2007, rockauto lists both HUB29 AND HUB 67! :scratch:

ETA: OK, fordparts.com says Part number 1104 (HUB-29) "Axle Hub" (List $316.28) is for vehicle build dates after 11/30/2006, which makes sense with your 2006.5 comment above. For build dates before 11/29/2006, it gets confusing, because there are an additional (2) part number 1104s listed (for a total of three different parts with the same part number). One says "Part number 1104 (HUB-67) Disc Brake Hub (List $260.38)" with no date stipulations. The other says "Part number 1104 Axle Hub (List $316.28)" with no additional "HUB" number reference, for build dates before 11/29/2006. So now I don't know which of these I would need.

I guess if your Ex was built on 11/29/2006 or 11/30/2006, you're really screwed. :)

I think mine was late 2005, but I used HUB29.

Interesting, the build date on my '06 is 10/05. I checked a bunch of sources, and 9 out of 10 say that HUB67 will fit. It's less expensive than HUB29, and it comes with new bolts....................to be continued.

I bet HUB67 is some chinese knock off, and HUB29 is Motorcraft "made in USA" :)

Just kidding, that is interesting. I know sometimes manufacturers will use the leftover parts from the previous run just to clean up the warehouses, maybe 29 is just minor improvevement over 67...

Keep us posted.

What's also interesting is that HUB29 doesn't come with bolts. Maybe it's because Ford improved the hub bolt removal situation on the Gen 4's, and they're not needed. Like you said, your bolts came off easy. I'm not quite ready to do my hubs yet, but when I do, I'll definitely post something about it.

Just received my new front hubs from Ebay. The vendor was "The Parts Monster". They were SKF BR930456 and were made in Canada with Timken bearings made in USA. Looks like excellent quality. New mounting bolts were included. Cost was very reasonable at $153.00 each with free shipping. Now to wait for the warm weather to install them. Here is the link on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKF-BR93045...06|Model:Explorer&vxp=mtr&hash=item336ecba494

Thanks for that post. Just curious, how do you know those are the ones for the explorer, I don't see what model they fit anywhere in the description.

If you clickk on the link to the right of "compatibility", it will tell you.

My 06 Eddie's driver side rear bearing went out at about 78k miles....and wouldnt you know it my stinkin extended warranty didnt cover the rear wheel bearings!:mad:

Turned out to be a $500 dollar job at my repair shop here in Baltimore (Catonsville Auto). They were reasonable and did a good job:cool:

Had taken it to the dealer but they kept sayin everything was ok after they "supposedly" checked it.:(

I will learn how to do it myself for the next time:thumbsup:

Why didn't they cover the bearings? Which plan do you have? I have the Premier and it said wheel bearings are a covered part! Mine are humming pretty good and I was going to take the truck in soon to have them changed. They better be covered!

Getting ready to do mine. The hubs are on order, and I'm trying to find a deep socket for the axle nut. Picked up a 32mm at H F yesterday. Fits ok, but feels a little loose. Going to try a 1 1/4" today and see if it fits any better. Hopefully I won't have to go to a 31mm, as they are harder to find.

I always used 32 mm, no problems. Let us know how the SKF holds up. I've had very bad experiences with non brand bearings, but SKF, and Timken are the top manufacturers.

So for the fronts its a 32mm deep socket and torque is 250 lb.ft. for a 2006 4.0 4X2 ?

No LH threads ?

Thanks
Stu

I know I used 32 and 36 mm, do not remeber which is front or rear :)
Or 35 was better fit actualy.

OK, thanks guys. So 32mm it is. Explorer P L, how did you know I am using SKF hubs? Funny. Anyway, from everything I read, they are Canadian made and use Timken bearings. Will definitely let you how things go.

Edwx - I did not know :)

I was referring to nleipziger about SKF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any update on "HUB-29" 7L2Z1104A or "HUB-67" 4L2Z1104AA?? Which one is the best to use for the 2006-2010 Explorers. My 2006 Limited has a build date of 08/05.

From Rockauto.com
The HUB-67 is going for $166.79
The HUB-29 is going for $211.79

Back