• Register Today It's free!

Rear end noise

vadergn

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Have a rear end whine noise very loud at 45 MPH and 62 MPH and whines on the way down after it was rebuilt not as loud though, it was rebuilt and the noise has got wores. I had it checked by 2 local tran / rear end places and they both said its the rear end. Shafts, drive shaft and transfer case have also been replaced. I call the guy who did the work who is from out of town and had the rear end shipped backed to him. He said he put it on a Dino spun it up to 12,000 RPM,s and there was no noise. How can this be, 3 guys who heard it said rear end but the guy who rebuilt it says no noise. He did not open it up to check it because he said it was quite?? Anyone have an option on this could it be something else and where is it coming from, bearinges are all good too.

UPdate: well I have been living with this whine for a year now it has been rebuilt by 5 different shops at least 3 times by each 7 from the last shop and no one could get the whine out of this scrap heap. This time were replacing it with a new rear end and will see maybe friday we get it back, let you now

Back