Ford Remote Start Accessory | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Remote Start Accessory

Hey everyone,

In case you're wondering, I ended up waiting until my buddy would install the Astrostart RS-5225. It is awesome. Range is awesome. Everything works great. Best upgrade for the EX yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone,

In case you're wondering, I ended up waiting until my buddy would install the Astrostart RS-5225. It is awesome. Range is awesome. Everything works great. Best upgrade for the EX yet!

Hi..

Just curious.. Does the Astrostart integrate with the Climate Control like the Ford OEM units??

Thanks, Joe

Were from the same state. Anyways, I have been playing with it for a bit and I have no issues. Last night, I was inside Target at the checkout and I was curious to see if I could remote start it while I'm waiting in line and it work perfectly. It def has long enough distance for me.

I'm located up in the Merrimack Valley Area. That's good...as long as it works without problems I'll be happy. I don't need my remote starter to work 2 miles away through 10 walls while I'm on the 20th Floor.

Finally Activated

Well, it took a few weeks but finally made it to the dealer to get my remote starter activated. Took them all of 5 minutes to do it. I've used it a few times and so far I am happy with it. It's very easy to change the setting via the steering wheel. Definitely worth the purchase.

I received mine from partscheap on Friday and did the install yesterday.

Installation was a breeze, thanks rojomoto!!

Glad I could help! Sounds like everything went well at the dealer

Is this an add-on to the factory system to increase the range or is this the same kit I have on mine from the factory??

Is this an add-on to the factory system to increase the range or is this the same kit I have on mine from the factory??
It's a Ford kit.

When I placed my order, I added the power lift gate. My salesman told me that you can either have the power lift gate or the remote start. The key has 4 buttons unlock doors/lock/panic/ and the 4th one is used for either the power liftgate or factory installed remote starter. You couldn't have both starter or liftgate, not enough buttons.

The system is plug in play, no cutting of wires. If you added that option when you ordered your Explorer then you don't need this since you already have it.

I get a good 400 foot range, on the 4th floor of a parking garage, with no direct line of site.

I have found that if I park in certain places the signal is blocked.

I have decent starting ability from inside grocery stores, big warehouse style stores with no line of site.

I like mine. YMMV

Did any of you have to bring all sets of keys to the dealer in order to do the programming?

Did any of you have to bring all sets of keys to the dealer in order to do the programming?
The bi-directional remote does not use your regular car keys, so you would not be asked to bring them.

My dealership asked me to bring both my keys.

My factory installed system has a range of about 50 ft.... I'm jealous

I have the standard one-way remote start, is there an easy way to upgrade it to the two-way, or would I have to replace the whole system?

It won't work until the dealer hooks it up to the computer ...

Joe

Do you know what the dealer had to do so special on their computer to get the remote starter system integrated?

I wonder if the current round of Sync/MFT updates that are being done at the dealers would update/upgrade the remote starter feature at the same time. That would be a nice way for some to get to save even more money if they could get a two-fer :thumbsup: from the Sync/MFT update.

Do you know what the dealer had to do so special on their computer to get the remote starter system integrated?

Not really sure what they did.. I believe they activated and tested..

Joe

I have the standard one-way remote start, is there an easy way to upgrade it to the two-way, or would I have to replace the whole system?

You are not replacing a system with the two way remotes - you are adding one. The basic remote uses the vehicle's onboard radio receiver. The two way adds a separate receiver/transmitter.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting this unit for my wife's Explorer (2012 XLT), and have a few questions:

1) rojomoto mentions there is a hood switch that is required for the install. Is this standard on the 2012 XLT?

2) dco43054 mentions "the body computer has to be updated afterward" - does this mean that the computer firmware needs to be updated so that it shows up on the left console (as in rojomoto's followup post)

3) If yes for #2, what do I need to tell the dealer when we bring in the truck and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Brian.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting this unit for my wife's Explorer (2012 XLT), and have a few questions:

1) rojomoto mentions there is a hood switch that is required for the install. Is this standard on the 2012 XLT?

2) dco43054 mentions "the body computer has to be updated afterward" - does this mean that the computer firmware needs to be updated so that it shows up on the left console (as in rojomoto's followup post)

3) If yes for #2, what do I need to tell the dealer when we bring in the truck and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks!

Brian.

Brian,

My Canadian version came with the hood switch as standard. If your truck doesn't have it, you can purchase it from your dealer. Part # BT4Z-19G366-A

The dealer will need to enable the remote start option in your vehicle as it currently is not. This process is very simple and should not take them more than a few minutes. They just need to connect their IDS tool and scroll through a few setup screens.

You should not need to bring both your keys in as others have asked. My dealer asked for the second one, but I showed him the instructions I had, and they then agreed that it wouldn't be necessary.

It cost me 30 minutes of labor which translated to ~$8o with taxes and shop supplies :dunno: here in Manitoba.

Jarvis

Not to hijack this thtead, but I have a question about adding remote start to Explorer 2012 XLT. I heard a rumor that you can program the existing 4 button Key FOB to add remote start. However, I can not find any procedure that discusses how to do it. Can some Ford tech here confirm this? It does make sense as I do not think the dealer adds anyting to the caar when that add the feature. Thanks for the help! If not where can I get a good but cheap after market remote start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remote Confusion

Greetings,

I have a '13 XLT on order and due in at the beginning of August. I'm thinking about having remote start installed at the dealer but am a bit confused at which is the best/correct on for my vehicle which will have MFT. I've read a few other threads but am still confused...... The Ford website lists 4 different systems for the 2013 Explorer:

1. Remote Start System - Bi-Directional Plug-N-Ply (BB5Z-19G364-E)
2. Remote Start System - 200 Series Plug-N-Play (BB5Z-19G364-D)
3. Remote Start System - 100 Series Plug-N-Play (BB5Z-19G364-A)
4. Remote Start System - Long Rang Plug-N-Play (CL3Z-19G364-B)

The most important feature for me is that it needs to integrate with the MFT/Driver information center. I asked my dealer which unit they install and he said it was the Ford Remote Start Bronze..... he is going to try and find out which model number it is since that doesn't correlate to any shown on the website. Any input from folks that have had any of these installed would be great.

-Brent

Back