• Register Today It's free!

Gasoline Odor

RitzHammer

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Anyone else detecting random strong gasoline odor? I've had three different occasions while driving and while parked in garage. Not good. BTW, I've also got the dreaded A-pillar rattle and MFT with a crazy demonic mind of its own. At 4500 mi. I will be lining up my first service appointment. I really like my EX so far, but we shouldn't have to deal with all this.

:frustrate:frustrate:frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry Ritz, no odor on my 2012 limited. Except when I try to top off when I'm filling up. The garage smelled nice that night! My a-pillar isn't vibrating either, just the display screen on the MFT. I already purchased the weather stripping, but haven't gotten the nylon pry tool to open it up and fix it! Hope you find out what's causing the odor.

Anyone else detecting random strong gasoline odor? I've had three different occasions while driving and while parked in garage. Not good. BTW, I've also got the dreaded A-pillar rattle and MFT with a crazy demonic mind of its own. At 4500 mi. I will be lining up my first service appointment. I really like my EX so far, but we shouldn't have to deal with all this.

Absolutely no issues with regards to gas odour (when pump nozzle clicks off doNOT try to add anymore to top it up......
and no isuues at at all with MFT...A pillar will be addressed at first servcie.......

You don't say what was happening around the time you had the odor, so it's hard to tell what might cause it.

In my case, last night after I filled up I had a strong gas odor in the car. First time for that. When I got out of the Explorer it followed me into the house. Smelled my shoes. Somebody must have splashed gas on the cement.

This is definitely an issues when topping off the fuel tank. Unfortunately in NJ we don't pump our own gas and when using cash I always have to tell the attendant not to top it off (rounding to whole dollar...). The odor comes from the fuel actually spilling out when driving...

NO gas odour issues or 'A' pillar noise, so far. Minor MFT issues that resolve themselves. Still on V2.4.
Most common cause of gas odour is over filling the tank. The manual says not to allow more than 2 automatic click-offs.
As a side note, after the first click-off on my previous '09 Highlander I was able to add another 10 litres (2.2 Imp gal.) by pulling the nozzle out a bit. Not going to try that with my Ex.

Peter

Anyone else detecting random strong gasoline odor? I've had three different occasions while driving and while parked in garage. Not good. BTW, I've also got the dreaded A-pillar rattle and MFT with a crazy demonic mind of its own...
I want to see that your concern is resolved, RitzHammer. I have your VIN from previous messages so let me know via PM if you’d like me to arrange for help from the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Absolutely no issues with regards to gas odour (when pump nozzle clicks off doNOT try to add anymore to top it up......
and no isuues at at all with MFT...A pillar will be addressed at first servcie.......
I’m confident the dealer will take care of your A-Pillar noise, HughCares.

Cory

Post up a pic of the fittings that were leaking to bring some closure to your other thread, might help someone else later on with a visual ... :thumbsup:

Mine has it bad if I top it off. I had to bring down the window it was that bad. I no longer top it off. Its better now

Thanks to all for the feedback. I learned very early on not to try "topping off". When the pump nozzle clicks, she is Full - Period. No these were separate incidents with a variety of circumstances and tank levels. Once during mild acceleration, once at highway speed, and last time sitting in garage. Unfortunately it had just snowed so the garage floor was covered with water and slop. I couldn't check for a small puddle. A small fitting leak like Nick's seems probable, although mine is very random. My dealer is anxious to check it out. I will be taking it in soon. As I said, it's just annoying since my dealership doesn't have Saturday service hours ....... But that is a topic for another thread!

:confused::confused::confused:

I want to see that your concern is resolved, RitzHammer. I have your VIN from previous messages so let me know via PM if you’d like me to arrange for help from the Customer Service Manager in your area.

I’m confident the dealer will take care of your A-Pillar noise, HughCares.

Cory
Thank Cory for you response. It is great to have you watching this board! I will give the dealer a chance to find the problem and make it right. If not, I will be in touch. Thanks again!

Thank Cory for you response. It is great to have you watching this board! I will give the dealer a chance to find the problem and make it right. If not, I will be in touch. Thanks again!
You’re very welcome, RitzHammer; I appreciate your kind words! I’m confident your dealer will take care of you. :)

Cory

Thanks to all for the feedback. I learned very early on not to try "topping off". When the pump nozzle clicks, she is Full - Period. No these were separate incidents with a variety of circumstances and tank levels. Once during mild acceleration, once at highway speed, and last time sitting in garage. Unfortunately it had just snowed so the garage floor was covered with water and slop. I couldn't check for a small puddle. A small fitting leak like Nick's seems probable, although mine is very random. My dealer is anxious to check it out. I will be taking it in soon. As I said, it's just annoying since my dealership doesn't have Saturday service hours ....... But that is a topic for another thread!

:confused::confused::confused:

See the forum below "Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration"

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323597

Back