Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed

Post number 107 has been selected as best answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bought the Remflex gaskets. OMG they are thick!:eek:
Question...The TMH install guide says to torque the header bolts to 30 ft/lbs but the Remflex gaskets say ideal torque is 16 to 24 ft/lbs.
How tight should I go with these without destroying them. The package says FRAGILE! DO NOT BEND 4 different times which has no bearing on compression, but dont want to over or under tighten them either. Maybe 25ish or so to start?
Hate to ruin them right off the bat. They were the last set on Amazon at what I thought was a really good deal.;)

Edit: nevermind...proceed.

I used the supplied gaskets when I did mine, and here about 3 years later I have no leaks... but it was only a daily driver for a year after I did it.

What I would do is like said before:

Remove plug wires and spark plugs and keep them organized so they go back in the same place (THIS IS A GOOD TIME TO REPLACE THE PLUGS)

***When removing header bolts, BE CAREFUL! If you break these off, it will cost you dearly! NO IMPACT TOOLS!!!!***

remove the two end bolts and thread them back in a thread or two, enough to hold the header without breaking a thread.

then remove the rest of the bolts (I usually keep them organized so they go back in the same spot, but Im alittle OCD, This is not actually necessary)

you should be able to pry the header back enough to slide the gasket out and slide the new one in. this sounds simple, but this IS a 5.0 explorer...lol

The gaskets will likely be stuck to one side or the other, and getting them out without taking the header out can be a pain.

Personally, I would remove them altogether and prep the mating surfaces with a angle sander and cusion pads, because buildup of carbon and remnants of the old gasket will mess up your seal with the new gaskets...

but you said you want it simple, so there it is. if youre careful and get the gasket placed correctly and TORQUE THE BOLTS IN SEQUENCE!!!!!

remember the bolts have a torque spec, I believe Bob Pasquale included this int he instructions with the header.... I dont have mine handy but Ill try to find it.

EDIT: The stock manifold was 30 Ft-Lb..and I believe it was the same or similar. if you use the thread locker supplied or get some blue locktite (high heat stuff) you shouldnt have any backout issues, but dont over torque them...

If you over torque the bolts or torque them out of sequence the flange can warp, and no matter what gasket or header you have, it is very likely that it will leak.

if you need pics and such of mine, heres my thread on this: *Mutineer's Torque Monster Install*

let us know how it goes and if there are any issues...

DRF

What is "the sequence"?

Bought the Remflex gaskets. OMG they are thick!:eek:
Question...The TMH install guide says to torque the header bolts to 30 ft/lbs but the Remflex gaskets say ideal torque is 16 to 24 ft/lbs.
How tight should I go with these without destroying them. The package says FRAGILE! DO NOT BEND 4 different times which has no bearing on compression, but dont want to over or under tighten them either. Maybe 25ish or so to start?

I didn't use a torque wrench, but would have if I had the better quality bolts at the time. The crappy spectre bolts I used seemed to be between wrench sizes. Nothing would fit them right and they rounded with ease.
Try going within spec and see how that feels and looks. They crush down a lot and seal great.
I tore the Remflex gasket while replacing a leaky small gasket at the junction. The newer headers have a flange at the junction and you have to loosen the front section of the header to get the new gasket in. I realighned the torn gasket, tightened it down, and it didn't leak!! I wasted more than a couple swear words for no reason :)
Use a quality gasket for the juction and torque it down well. You don't want to disturb these gaskets once crushed and stuck to the header.

What is the torque sequence?

I tightened middle out.

Attachments

• torque sequence.jpg
    torque sequence.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 257

Pretty much what I thought, thanks.

I used the gaskets that came with the headers, prep'd the surface very well and haven't had any issues in 4 years and it is my daily driver.

(hope I didn't jinx myself)

I have to say that I think that if the gaskets did fail I would remove the header and clean the surface as much as a PITA it would be.

(I remember that night installing them..filled up the swear jar rather quickly)

I don't have TMH, but last year I swapped my manifolds over to the 99+ cast iron ones due to a leak [surprise surprise.. actually the leak formed from too much pressure due to a clogged cat..] Anyways... leaks with crappy oem gaskets. I'm gonna tackle this job later this week, I was in a buddy's shop the other day and something caught my eye. Proform gaskets. I ordered some up off of summit .. they look like they have potential .. they are a little thicker.. but with two layers of compressable aluminum. After I got them I started reading a little about remflex and thought for a moment... crap.. maybe I should have bought those instead. After doing my endless researching it appears the downside of remflex is a blow out problem.. the material is very brittle, and if any cracks form then that makes it very easy to blow a chunk out. I look back to these pro form gaskets and the chance of that happening compared to the remflex is much lower. I'll update after I slide em in. I plan to just loosen the manifolds [and downpipes of course as they're leaking aswell.. I need to re-align them]

Check them out.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67933/

538491_366856766698457_100001224097223_1202309_1751937577_n.jpg

524765_366856846698449_100001224097223_1202310_1159940472_n.jpg

552972_366856933365107_100001224097223_1202312_679119679_n.jpg

This looks similar to the KOOKS gaskets I used on my Mustang GT. I just replaced them on that though back in October so there's not a whole lot of miles on it. So far so good though.

Looked them up, aside of their carbon composite line of gaskets.. they do look similar .. did yours have two layers for each gasket? I think I'll have some good luck with these as long as I make sure to torque them down properly. Throw out an update later on about your luck with them.

Bringing back from the dead...I know...But I used the search function...

So after 10 years and 125k miles, I have a leaky gasket on the drivers side header. I guess I was lucky, or too OCD with my original install.
I am going to order the Proform's from Summit unless somebody can say for sure that they are no good, or have a better recommendation.
Please?
Also, are there any recommendations for the single tube flange off the #5 cylinder (Front drivers side)? That would be a huge help.

I was recommended remflex gaskets by Rick of this forum
Now anytime I install a set of TMH I use Remflex they are simply the best option

Amazon product ASIN B00B2HMD5A
So is you TMH leaking at the small gasket for cyl 5? You can cut/make that gasket from header gasket material, and use some high heat silicoln to seal it up

I was recommended remflex gaskets by Rick of this forum
Now anytime I install a set of TMH I use Remflex they are simply the best option

Amazon product ASIN B00B2HMD5A
So is you TMH leaking at the small gasket for cyl 5? You can cut/make that gasket from header gasket material, and use some high heat silicoln to seal it up
Thanks.
I've ordered the Remflex.
Is there anyone that makes a Cyl 5 gasket?

Robert at TMH LOL

Yes I am sure you can find that gasket, the little flange they used is pretty universal
However it is simple gasket you can trace the tube and cut one out, it is really simple! I use scissors and a drill to make the holes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robert at TMH LOL

Yes I am sure you can find that gasket, the little flange they used is pretty universal
However it is simple gasket you can trace the tube and cut one out, it is really simple! I use scissors and a drill to make the holes
Yes, I shot Robert an email.
I was one of the lucky ones when I ordered them that he was very responsive and I got my headers fairly quickly.

Does the Remflex material come in sheets?

Back