a thirdkey key from ebay | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

a thirdkey key from ebay

jrguzmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
I want to purchase a third key for my 2004 explorer, and read somewhere that a edge/fusion key (the ones that have the key fob built in) will work. Has anybody done this? Which years are compatible with my exp? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only give you my experience. I bought one of those similar keys for my Sport Trac. I figured having an all-in-one key would be a nice feature. Took it to my local locksmith to have the key cut and the fob programmed. It would not program to my truck. Thank goodness we tried to program it first before cutting the key!! Seller (from Ebay) did agree to refund me my money, insisting it should have worked. It didn't!

I used one from a 2006 fusion. It programmed fine with my 2 existing keys.

Watch out though. A lot of the cheapper ones advertise as original OEM keys and are nothing but cheap knockoffs. The one I ended up with was advertised as an OEM key and even stamped FoMoCo inside with a part number. The problem is it definitely is NOT an OEM key, the part numberdoes not pull up, and the key feels nothing like the key that came with my 2006 Fusion that I bought new.

A factory, uncut Fusion key will run you about $80. The ebay ones are $40ish.

My knockoff does work fine though, It just feel like crap in my hands.

I bought two of the refurbished all-in-one factory Ford keys/remotes from this site: http://www.remotesandkeys.com for $44.95 each. After searching for your vehicle, it should show the original factory key and remote plus show the optional solution which is a newer-moder all-in-one key/remote. I couldn't even tell that they were refurbished! I programmed both of them and they work great. Got them cut at a local hardware store and they did it for free! The first store I went to wouldn't do it since they didn't want to take the chance of screwing it up.

I can only give you my experience. I bought one of those similar keys for my Sport Trac. I figured having an all-in-one key would be a nice feature. Took it to my local locksmith to have the key cut and the fob programmed. It would not program to my truck. Thank goodness we tried to program it first before cutting the key!! Seller (from Ebay) did agree to refund me my money, insisting it should have worked. It didn't!

How did you try to program it since you have to have the key in the ignition to program it?

How did you try to program it since you have to have the key in the ignition to program it?

If you take a couple screws loose you can pull the plastic ring off of the ignition lock. With an understanding of how to program a new key as well as when it looks for the chip in the key, you can program uncut keys to work with the Passive Anti Theft System.
When I bought my '02, the key didn't want to go into the lock very smooth so we sprayed a small amount of lubricant...which, ironically, locked up the entire lock lol. My dad and I tried for well over an hour and just couldn't get the key to go in the lock cylinder. We then basically destroyed the lock cylinder and removed it so we could start the vehicle with a screwdriver (yeah...ghetto, I know). Problem was, it wouldn't start without seeing a proper key due to the PATS system. After taking that plastic circle loose, we taped a key to it at the right angle for it to work. Once I had a new lock cylinder, I had a key that could turn the lock and a key that could satisfy the anti theft system...but neither could do both :scratch: Some good timing and knowing the procedure, we were able to program the new key.

There are two types of programming. One type is for keys that have been previously programmed, and the other type is for brand new keys. Among the directions that will follow, there will be a reference to turning the ignition on. This does not mean that the engine should be started. Turn the key until the dashboard lights are on but not far enough to start the engine.

Back