• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire

theluke19

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac
So I bought my truck without a spare on it. I'm now replacing the factory wheels/tires with 33" tires, and can' decide what to do about that missing spare. If I use one of the factory wheels/31"s as a spare, would it cause harm to my drive train if I ever had to drive with it for, say, 30 miles?

Would it be wise to get a 33" spare? Would that fit within the spare tire area, in any way? Maybe aired down, and carry on-board air?

I think I heard OffTrac say at one point that he's rolling without one, and MidnightRebel- we know where yours is. What do you other fellas with 33"s do for a spare?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't mount spare underneath gets hung up

I used to have a Yakima MegaWarrior on top with offroad lights and my spare up there but it killed my gas mileage and I couldn't fit in any parking garages or under alot of fast food drive-thru's. I sold that to another member and just put the spare in my bed, this didn't really work out because I haul stuff all the time. I finally got the kick in the ass I needed to build my tire carrier two months after my son was born because the stroller didn't fit in the bed with the spare. As far as running different size tire, never do this, it will cause damage to the spider gears. Look at Mounty09's fold down and removable tire carrier he built. It's a bike carrier thats been converted.

With some slight modifications. LOL

I think I heard OffTrac say at one point that he's rolling without one

I am currently. I have the tire and ordered the wheel a couple weeks ago but the wheel is on backorder. I expect to have it on the 19th. As soon as I get it, I will figure out what to do with it. Ideally, I'd have it under the bed as Chad has done, but I don't have as much lift. I'm going to have to look at pictures of Chad's to see how much it hangs down. When I do the body bushings, I will look at the possibility of SOA and sloped body lift, so it may be able to fit under there safer. In the meantime, it'll be in the bed. Most of my driving is within 10 miles of home, so it'll be pretty safe to leave at home in most cases.

But to answer your question, under the bed is best if you don't want to go all out like Jerry or have it on top of the roof or take up the entire HUGE bed. From what others have said, it may be in danger of puncture under the bed. I haven't spent enough time figuring out how much room there is.

try craigslist. you should be able to find a spare 33" tire/wheel on there for around 50 bucks. i see them on there all the time in my area. as for where to put it, you oculd get a roof basket, a hitch mounted carrier, build one like rebel, throw it in the bed and chain it up, or cut the tongue underneath the bed and try there. i have my camper shell on right now for the winter, so i got mine strapped to the inside of the bed.

Went to a local used tire shop, and they had an older used BFG AT 33x12.5xr15 (half tread or so) for $40- so I got that and stuck it up under the bed , on a 5th Cragar Soft 8-

Here it is- I'm thinking about doing the tongue bending thing to get it up under there a bit further.

I do plan on putting a rear hitch on someday, I hope it works with that as well.

20120420_174127.jpg

20120420_174146.jpg

Good deal! :thumbsup:

I would temporarily toss into the bed if you go offroad, though.

If you ever get a locker you'll wanna get a matching DuraTrac and have matching tread depth so you don't screw it up.

MidnightRebel07 said:
If you ever get a locker you'll wanna get a matching DuraTrac and have matching tread depth so you don't screw it up.

Good to know- gives me a reason to not purchase the PT noslip quite yet lol

If you have a Limited Slip unit it could hurt it as well if driven to much on mis-matched tires (different tread depth's, brands, sizes, all-terrain and M/T together, etc.) A LS is essentially a locker too.

If you have a Limited Slip unit it could hurt it as well if driven to much on mis-matched tires (different tread depth's, brands, sizes, all-terrain and M/T together, etc.) A LS is essentially a locker too.

I was gonna say, a different size spare is okay to run for a short period of time UNLESS you have a locker or limited-slip. Even then, if you have a flat on the rear just put a front tire on it and put the smaller spare up front.

JohnnyO said:
I was gonna say, a different size spare is okay to run for a short period of time UNLESS you have a locker or limited-slip. Even then, if you have a flat on the rear just put a front tire on it and put the smaller spare up front.

Same size 33x12.5's but totally different brand.. Guess I'll plan on getting a new duratrac on My first rotate

Back